Out of all the pickups on all your guitars ....

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by IronSchef, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Armada50

Armada50 Squier Talker

Jan 26, 2019
    Texas USA
    Fender Squier Bullet Strat HSS conversion to HHH. "Bridge, humbucker & position 1."

SquierTap likes this.
  2. BigM

BigM New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    The word on the street is that "tone is in the fingers." I hate that aspect as I took a bad fall on my fretting hand a couple of years ago. I cannot dig into the strings as I had before, which bites in the sense of playing with a decent tone. I have found that using Lace Gold pickups on a '94 Stratocaster Deluxe mid/bridge offers a satisfactory tone through a Fender Princeton (non-reverb). With my personal condition, the tone is fairly bearable.

As far as a Squire is concerned....mid position, with alnico V's (stock) on a Telecaster Thinline CV.

SquierTap likes this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That sucks, man... I lost the use of my middle finger when I cut the flexor tendon about 9 years ago... Thank God I loved it too much to quit... I'm better now than I ever was with all my fingers...

4. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    I'll take the middle position on this thing. Strange combo of a duo tron and a DeArmond humbucker, but it works for me. ;-) 20181212_091934.jpg

5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    It 's a tough call but I'll say the neck position in my EVH Wolfgang Standard. It's full, clear and doesn't get muddy when you turn up the gain.

Kaffeine_oo7 and IronSchef like this.
  6. squier-esquire

squier-esquire Squier-holic

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Huge fan of middle/bridge on my hardtail Strat with 67/62’s.
    All my Les Pauls are bridge only and different array of pickups. I stick around 8.1K and 9.2K output on my humbuckers.

7. archetype

archetype Squier-Nut

Oct 24, 2017
    Williamsville, NY USA
    It’s a tie between 2 bridge pickups in Teles. Either the Broadcaster in my Baja 50s, or the ‘62 Custom Telecaster in my Classic Vibe 50s.

8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Destiny pickups out of a Wolf Guitar Tele that are in my Ash SX Furrian Tele.

9. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

For me it's the custom wound "wide range" style neck pup (in a humbucker-sized package) from Rose Pickups in my 72 Tele Custom build - articulate and powerful.

10. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Right now, it's a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion in in the bridge position of a single humbucker Squier Bullet.

11. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    For years and years and years I preferred the sound of the neck pickup in any guitar. I still do in my ASAT and every Stratocaster I’ve played.
    Funny you should ask this question though, because just a couple weeks ago I decided that my favorite tone at the moment of all my guitars is the tone from the vintage noiseless bridge pickup in my Deluxe Nashville Telecaster. It just has that bite that sounds so good clean or dirty.

12. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Kinda tough one. Right now I'd say neck/middle on Std Squier with Tex Specials. Other times I'd say same position on Protone. Depends on mood!

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    That big hole underneath the strings on my acoustic.

Kaffeine_oo7, IronSchef and GEECEE like this.
  14. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI

LOL!!!!! Good one!

Kaffeine_oo7, MrYeats and IronSchef like this.
  15. tadnugent

tadnugent Squier Talker

Mar 26, 2019
    El Paso
    I’d have to say either the bridge and middle position of my SE strat which is a GM 62 and Rio Grande Stelly or the neck middle position of my SG which is an Antiquity and Toni Iomi bridge.

ElRey67, Kaffeine_oo7 and IronSchef like this.
  16. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Just one, huh? Hmmm... middle position on my Gibson Les Paul with the neck volume (490R) at about 8, the bridge volume (490T) at about 6, neck tone at about 6.5, bridge tone at about 7 and just a touch of breakup courtesy of a Blues Drive. Roll up the neck volume for a bit more crunchy goodness, down for thicker, creamier smoothness. 500k pots and orange drop caps, vintage wired. A close second is my SE Strat neck pickup (CS Texas Special) with tone at about 8 and volume at 8 or 9 with the same Blues Drive with just a hint of breakup. I know you said one but man, it depends on the mood and the song. :D

IronSchef and ElRey67 like this.
  17. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    I have a “vintage” mid-1980’s Carvin M22 bridge pickup. I never thought of it as my “best sounding” pickup, but for some reason it always seems to end up in my current favorite guitar. It’s been in a Kramer, a Tele, a Les Paul, an HH Strat... Last week I put it in the bridge of my Squier Bullet Tele HH and jam with it everyday. It has just the right balance of tone/snarl that I guess I prefer over everything else I play.

IronSchef likes this.
  18. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Now that I’m branching out into trying different kinds of music, I’m using all the positions, but when I’m just messing around without any specific song in mind, the neck usually gets played.

IronSchef likes this.
  19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I'm a metal player. I currently have HH guitars with 3 way switches. I use the bridge for dirty, neck for cleans and bluesy stuff. I rarely use middle but when I do, it is for cleans with more mid and some high stuff.

My PRS S2 Standard 22 has original pickups. My Squier M-80 has stock neck and DaMask Metal bridge high output humbuckers. The original bridge pickup was great but a custom winder sent me the Damask to try out and demo/review.

I like the sounds of my guitars now, I do not wish to change them unless somebody asks me to try theirs out.

I also liked the pickups from Guitar Madness on eBay. I had them in my previous guitars and still have some in my spare pickups box waiting for a host guitar. They are dirt cheap but sounds awesome!

IronSchef likes this.
  20. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    Well...my Esquire only has one pickup position to select...so yes...Ill take that one. CS Nocaster fills that position.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice