Out of all the pickups on all your guitars ....

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by IronSchef, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jstallings

jstallings Squier Talker

Jul 2, 2016
    Tennessee
  2. rawdatalab

rawdatalab Squier Talker

Nov 3, 2017
    NY
    I like neck/bridge so much on my Strats, I incorporated two mods for it: one parallel, one series, both engaged with Tone push/pull knobs. N/B series is my fave ATM.

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
  4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Epiphone Pro Bucker, in the neck position on my LP Florentine Pro

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. ManKonis

ManKonis Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2017
    London
    Fullerton black bobbin neck pickup on my '83 JV squier :cool:

7. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Administrator Staff Member

Dec 30, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    Rose Alba bridge pickup in my tele.
    It kicks ass, no survivors to take names of...

8. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Agreed! The strat neck is the tone that made me begin playing guitar. If I could put a Strat neck pickup on any guitar, I probably would.

Specifically, I love the SSL-1 neck pickup, it is a glorious tone :)

That being said, I love the Tele single neck, although many prefer a HB - but I notice that if I have the same settings on my amp and lower the treble on my strat neck pickup, it sounds very much like the tele neck pickup with all volumes rolled up!

9. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    All my Strats bridge pups with dirt. Especially my SD STK-S6 (mim Bk Strat) and my Dimarzio Virtual Solo. (mim LBP Strat)

10. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    It's a loaded question....... because I'm switching so often for different parts in each tune. You guys are amazing that you've got a favorite and you can roll with it!

11. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Meister

Sep 23, 2016
    Moline, IL
    Playing mostly high gain metal I rarely move from the bridge position.

I used to need a high(er) gain amp to really get the heavy tone required until the X2N came along. Driven by this pickup in the bridge, virtually any amp above 10W can produce an adequate kick to the gentleman's area.

upload_2019-1-11_13-55-37.png

12. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I would have said the GFS Mean 90 in neck of my Squier Standard Jagmaster, but that guitar has been disassembled. I'll say the neck pickup in my VM Jazzmaster. I'm not ready to admit what exactly it is, but it works really well for me and my ears.

[​IMG]

Kenneth Mountain and IronSchef like this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    For a Strat, middle/bridge (whether it's SSS or HSS). Tele gets the bridge pickup. HH guitar gets the middle position.

SquierTap, fuelish and IronSchef like this.
  14. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Neck the most for me lately, doesn’t matter SC or HB.

15. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    I learned about this pickup from Chuck Schuldiner! It is indeed a kick to the groin for any high gain needs!

16. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I guess my favorite tone that came out of my hands is from Betsy, my avatar. 1976. I bought her from a guy that I used to play music with sometimes. He thought she was too heavy. I most always played with the volume and tone on 10. Used the volume for tone. I had a red DOD distorton pedal andI kept both knobs turned all the way down for boost as needed. Back then any Fender amp would do for me. That guitar will do anything I need, but you asked about my favorite .:) Great thread! I may be back if that's OK. :cool:

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. seua

seua Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    P94 on a squier bullet, set of texmex Fender pups on a partcaster, and a set of P90 on a lespaul special...
    my best are the P90, the best sound ever... ;)

18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Nut

Nov 24, 2018
    Lost in my Sticks
    EDIT on my original post, I meant to say neck/middle position.

19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    A red D.O.D. pedal? That MAY have been the FX55 SupraDistortion... And if so, that was the very first pedal I ever used! Way back when I was 13 or 14 years old... Haven't heard anyone mention them in years, but before I was a Boss man, I was a D.O.D. dude... Especially my FX69 Grunge pedal...

squierplayer likes this.
  20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    My favorite go-to has been position 2 (bridge and middle) on my trusty number one Strat... I guess what some call "quack"... But I've definitely gotta start playing with my pup height... Here lately I've noticed that most of my neck pups are WAY too bassy... But since I use mainly the bridge or bridge and middle, I use a lot of bass on my amps... The tone I've chased for most of my life? That tone when you're using a good clean Fender tube amp, and you rake across the strings and hit a note (ala SRV) and there's that almost percussive bass response... It's REALLY hard to nail down, cause it's not REALLY bass, it's the percussive bass in the attack, not the note itself... I guess we're talking about sub-bass... But the only way I can get that is to turn my bass on my amp up, and usually I use a mild mid scoop... And when I switch to the neck, it's just mud... So, I'm thinkin maybe I need to lower my neck pup...
    Or maybe lower the side with the lower tuned strings...
    Really, the only guitar that I own that doesn't do that is my CV Tele with the Alnico IIIs...
    And also, here lately I'm gettin where I have ZERO use for a middle strat pup by itself... Just way too much mid... So maybe the middle pup needs to be lowered a bit too...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice