Out of all the pickups on all your guitars ....

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by IronSchef, Dec 23, 2018.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Which position is your absolute favorite???

You get to pick just one position ONLY!! - I will allow "in-between" switch positions (technically TWO pickups, but I'm cool w that)

Name the Pickup, the Position, and the Guitar its on ...

for me - my absolute favorite pickup/position is the Bridge position on my Mustang Partscaster - Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker ... it is where I feel most at home :cool:

2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Neck only, on any of my Strats.

3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    That's a tough one.. I really like the JB in the bridge on my strat but I like the CS Texas special neck pickup in it too.. Since I can only have one I'll pick the JB in the bridge. I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm a Tele guy or I thought I was lol..

4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    The middle position on my red cabronita with tv jones powertron pick ups.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Currently, P90 on the neck of my SX Tele copy.

6. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Nut

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Position 4 neck/middle on my classic vibe 60s alnico 5 pickups believe they are tone rider pickups.

7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    The weird pickup on my 1940s Aloha lap steel. Beautiful powerful and crystal clear.

Great topic! I actually have lots of great tones I like. I’m gonna cheat and add more posts later.

8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Only one position only? You're mean, but since it's Christmas I'll abuse your generosity!

One of my favorite combos is the neck+bridge of my Squier that I achieve through its custom blender pot mod wiring. I may cut a bit off the [master] tone depending of the gain levels (I've realized that Strats work really well with the treble chopped and 80s Rock distortion levels). The pickups I use are a set of ceramic single coils off a Silver Series Squier, Fuji-Gen Japanese-made. Neither my old cheap Chinese pups nor the Mexican Standard singles of my friend's Fender have such a nice chime, clarity and articulation of the low and high frequencies.

I also really like the bridge position of my Jackson Dinky Pro, Seymour Duncan JB. At least on that guitar and through my amp, it seems to have a truly reminiscent tone of your typical Strat, which is really cool, and it also seems to create harmonic frequencies at will, I really don't know how it does it but it gets some sick sounds with distortion. What a cool guitar that one is, I knew I loved it the moment I plugged it in at the store. :)

9. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Well I gotta do it for two guitars.

On my Les Paul Goldtop, the middle position pairing the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF neck pu with the Seymour Duncan Antiguity PAF bridge. It just nails all the neck pu midrange and just enough treble bite and sparkle from the bridge pu. It has it all.

For my Black Strat (I call it the Shadowcaster) it’s the Seymour Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge only position. This pickup is hot but has a fullness to its treble that I’ve not heard from other single coil pu’s I’ve tried. When hit hard and bending up a single string note, it has a saxophone-ish texture to it. Quite an amazing sound. Not sure if anyone can understand what I mean by that...but that’s the only way I can describe it.

10. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Nut

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Also my prs Holcomb sig with Seymour Duncan alpha omega I like the middle postion coil split.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Hands down absolutely the best sounding pickup I've ever heard........
    .................The Rose Bourbon Tele neck pickup..

12. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    The P90 in my 2019 worn cherry Gibson LP Junior double cutaway. Being a one pickup guitar, kinda takes the guess work out of it :D

13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Both pickups on my alder SX Tele with Fender Original Vintage '52 pickups.

(I actually prefer any of my acoustics with no pickups, but that doesn't't seem to have been an option).

14. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    I'll accept that!!

You have to tell us which acoustic is your top tho :)

15. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Love it!!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Lots of JB love ...

Kenneth Mountain and Shaytan like this.
  17. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Oh, TVJs sure are the BOMB!!

18. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Oh, yeah -- I'll take P90s for $1000, Alex, please!

19. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Way too hard. I’ll go a slightly different direction - most surprisingly good position, which is neck pickup of Vintage 62 Jazzmaster pickups on my VMJM. The very definition of warm. I’ve never spent so much time on a neck pickup.

PS thanks to Caddy for putting me onto them.

20. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    I would love to hear the lap steel pickup!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice