"Out Alive" My New Song!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Dec 3, 2019.

1. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Very cool. Liked everything about it.

2. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Very nice tune, I like it.

3. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Meister

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Really cool. I like that alot. Keep on doing what you do. I'd rather listen to original and creative music like this than modern radio anytime.

4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    This version has a queer minute long intro. The song starts around 1:08.

SquierTap and squierbilly like this.
  5. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Great song and lyrics..
    is that autotune i hear in the vocals?.. just sounds like a lot of electronic modulation was used.. didnt hear that in the waiting on the mono song..
    Still a great song and the lyrics are killer..

SquierTap likes this.
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Dude... Lol... I had that EXACT thought when I was makin it!

BUT... Lol... Over the years I've learned something about a good ol' BONKing cowbell... One of the things that makes it SO killer, is that it's NOT in every song... It takes much willpower to resist the siren song of "BONKBONKBONK", lol...

So... I laid off on this one... But I THOUGHT about it plenty...

But that's why God made remixes... Lol...

Mr Bones likes this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Awesome!!! Detroit showing Nashville some love? Lol, that's sayin somethin! Lol... But, really, the fact the wife digs it is a good sign to me... How many times have we all said some phrase like "string-through-body", "ferrule", or ,"reverse wound middle pickup" and you can literally see their eyes glaze over, lol...

Mr Bones likes this.
  8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, if I've got the Allroy seal of approval, I must be firin on all cylinders, lol... Thanks, hoss...

AllroyPA likes this.
  9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's awesome! I really dig their sound... It has that quality of bein somethin new that I've never heard, but familiar too... The first thing I thought was that they sound like a mish-mash of bands... I can hear Dire Straights, Eagles, but almost a Southern influence too... Kinda like if Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blue Öyster Cult jammed!

THAT'S what it reminds me of! Skynyrd and BÖC... And that's a pretty rad combo!

And the solo was just great... REALLY tasteful, not flashy, just meat and potatoes (but MOSTLY meat)!

Man, I really dig that... Thanks for turnin me onto 'em...

Mr Bones and Loin Lover like this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Actually that's ALL me! I've used extreme auto tune on a couple of my rap songs... I'm one of those people that kinda regard it as an effect... To me, it can sound cool on a song with multiple electronic instruments (especially drums and bass), but if you try mixin it with real instruments, you better watch out... I JUST realized, I guess it sounds "fake" and sounds good with other "fake" sounds, lol...

This one DOES have multiple tracks of vocals... 3 of 'em... And they all have reverb from the Reaper... But my wife asked the same thing... If I had a modulation effect (like chorus) on it...
    Evidently if you take 3 tracks of me, singin ALMOST at the top of my range, then blend 'em (one 30% left, one 30% right, and the "lead" right in the middle, you get chorus, lol... Which I guess makes sense... Chorus is basically doubling...
    In the past, one of the ways I've dealt with bein uncomfortable with my vocals is to double and even triple 'em up... I've been tryin to get away from that, but I thought it worked pretty well here... But I did agonize about that, though... When my wife told me that, my FIRST instinct was to just dump the left/right tracks and just use one... But unless you're a HELLUVA singer, to me, a single vocal track can sound really amateurish...

squierbilly and Mr Bones like this.
  11. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    I have to be honest, I wasn’t expecting much, but that was great! My measure is always “would I have been happy with that if I had written it” and the answer is hell yes! Btw, your singing sounded fine to me and I hardly think doubling vocals is a cop-out; far more skilled singers than you or I double religiously.

I like your original idea of keeping it instrumental in the beginning, but that’s me.

Awesome job!

squierbilly, SquierTap and Mr Bones like this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks alot, Todd... I live it when someone says they dig my stuff, but I like it EVEN more if they say they like it, BUT... And mention somethin that needs to be fixed... It means they really were payin attention, AND thinkin about it... And as busy as people's lives are, like I said, if they'll honestly stop and give me 4 minutes of their precious time, it means the WORLD to me... And as such, I try my best to not waste their time... I try to make it worth it... Either through a musical idea that I think has merit, or by bein bein funny or makin them think...

I've said it before, but I think that the very definition of art is; ANY tangible thing (or idea) that makes you FEEL something... Anything that induces FEELINGS of ANY kind...

And sayin that you would've been proud to have wrote this, is one of the biggest compliments I think I could EVER get...

And I'm KINDA with ya on the "instrumental at first" thing... But that would only leave the chorus in there once... So, I waffle on it... But there also comes a point where I have to just be okay with something I've done...
    But then again, ALL of the songs that I post are basically just ideas... Demos that I usually try to "catch" while they're fresh... So, if they were ever to be released "for reals", lol, I'm sure they'd have to be re-recorded anyway, and THAT'S where all of your opinions come into play... I sit with y'all's ideas and marinate, and rhuminate... Until I'm illuminated... Lol...

Mr Bones and squierbilly like this.
  13. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Standard album version, th intro jus rarely got/gits any radio airplay....;)

Loin Lover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice