"Out Alive" My New Song!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Dec 3, 2019.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Okay guys, this is the one I was tellin ya about...

I'm REALLY excited about this one...

Have you ever picked up a guitar, and a song just kinda fell out of it? Lol... Well, that's how this went down... When I was "writing" it, it was almost like it already had words... I just had to figure 'em out! Lol...

To be honest, this is kind of a departure from my usual style, but THAT'S how this song is supposed go! Lol... It's got a "swing"y, "twangy", "surfy" type intro, and then goes into a full volume "romp" that kinda ROCKS and SWINGS at the same time...

And there's actually a couple "naughty" words in it, too! Lol, I usually try to keep my songs as "clean" as possible to reach as many folks as I can, but those words just felt right... It's a song about bein mad... And tired... And fed up...

And it's a song about havin your heart yanked out your @$$, and I seem to do really well with those, lol...

Recording vocals is always hard for me... Singin has never been a strong point for me, and I have serious perfectionist tendencies... But I think that I've kinda developed a bit of a style of what I think works for me... And to me, The EMOTION is the important bit... There are a WORLD of insanely talented professional singers out there who can sing circles around ol' SquierTap, lol, but I MEAN IT!!! Lol... When I sat down to record the vocals, they lyrics weren't even done yet! Lol... But I managed to write 'em and get 'em recorded in one session...

I'm REALLY proud of the tones I got on this one... It's a pretty good mix of SEVERAL cool tones blended together...

I mostly used my '50's CV Tele... For the clean parts, that Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt tube amp is just UNBELIEVABLE... I kept the gain nice and low and cranked up the reverb to about 8 (which is AMAZING, because MOST amp's built in reverb get pretty unusable even HALFWAY up... But between the real springs and the tubes, it's just a really MUSICAL reverb...)
    and threw some palm mutin in there...

And for folks listening REALLY closely will hear the two tracks of Tele tremelo doubled up and split left and right...

The Tele "twang" or "surf" sound of this amp really surprised me big time...

And now for the DIRT!!!;

This was my first time recording this amp, AND it was also the first time I had ever tried pedals with it, too, so I had a LOT of fun!!! For the main distorted part, I ran my Dean Vendetta with humbuckers (another first for this amp!) into my Joyo Ultimate Drive (FullTone OCD clone), and set the amp to just get good and ragged around the edges... I recorded two of those and split 'em left and right...

Then I plugged my Vendetta into my trusty Katana 100 combo, hit the "Brown" channel and went to town! Lol... Recorded a couple of THOSE and split THEM left and right, too...

Those heavy parts blended REALLY well with the Tele runnin into my Kokko Tubescreamer... Just a really cool blend... And speakin of blending;

For the bass, I used my trusty 20th anniversary Affinity P-Bass... Just a GREAT sounding (and playing!) classic P-Bass sound... And here lately instead of just runnin my bass directly into my D.I. box, I've been runnin it through MY KATANA! Yep, some of the best bass sounds that I've gotten lately have been just micing my guitar amp with a condenser mic! I found I could get a GREAT, almost Green Day like bass tone by using this SneakyAmps patch called "BR Tweed", which is supposed to sound like an old Fender Bassman 4X12 plugged in the "bright" input... It's a really cool, "driving" bass sound, bit a little light on low end, so I recorded another bass track using the "Twin" model, keeping the gain low... Then mixed the two...

All in all, I'm pretty thrilled with the result...

But y'all know how YouTube compresses EVERYTHING, so I'm not gonna say FOR SURE, that THIS is gonna be the final mix, but it's a good place to start...

And again, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for takin the time to actually sit and listen to a piece of music I wrote... If just ONE single person tells me that they enjoy it, or if someone hears this and says, "Oh, man... I've been there..." Then it's worth every second I put in it...

So, I give you;
    "Out Alive" by The Organic Engine

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Interesting song, arrangement and performance. Thanks for sharing it

-don

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Don! I actually went back a forth on the arrangement... I ALMOST wanted to leave the very first part an instrumental... Especially with that awesome surfy, twangy guitar sound... But I decided that since that part is kinda catchy (and hopefully "hook"-y) to repeat it...

duceditor and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Great work Tap ! ! that SRV vid put me to shame also ! ! great work bro ! !

Mr Bones and SquierTap like this.
  5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hey, thanks, brother! I REALLY appreciate it! But like I've said a million times, if guitar was a competition, I'd be screwed! Lol... But I'd like to think that my voice, my playing, and especially my songs, are at least unique enough to cover my "sloppy" playing, lol!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sounds great! I love the groove!

I really need to get an interface so I can record vocals in a more professional way. That's why I've only been posting instrumentals, because I run my GT-100 straight into my PC's line-in jack.

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I've actually been thinkin about posting a video of JUST the music, without lyrics, so all of y'all can actually hear the cool guitar sounds I was able to get...

I've NEVER been confident with my voice, but I love to sing... So, like I said, recording vocals is usually not a lot of fun for me... But for whatever reason, THIS time, it was...

When I walked out to the studio to track the vocals, the lyrics weren't even all the way finished... But I decided to just let it continue to come together naturally, the way I had done the whole thing so far...

So I just threw the song on "loop" and started just singin in the room... And by the time I had the lyrics pinned down, my voice was pretty warmed up... And one more little weird thing that I THINK actually made a difference; I actually sang this sitting down... I know that sounds silly... But sometimes when I'm recording vocals (most of the time, actually) I feel really stupid standin there and singin... And I get worried about lookin (and soundin) stupid, and it seriously hampers my performance... This time, I was already sitting at my desk and singin, so I just set up a condenser mic right in front of my chair, and just quit TRYIN so damned hard, and JUST sang...

Ya know, I've recorded music with my buddy Dewayne (@LDS714 here on the forum) for YEARS... He's an AMAZING musician, who plays bass professionally, but he's like my "Studio Sensai"... The guy is just INSANE when it comes to recording and mixing... A truly talented cat, who could EASILY be a professional producer (I think he IS, actually... I believe he's had quite a few songs on the radio, etc...)

But for YEARS now, he's told me to "relax... And JUST sing..."
    And I think this the first time that I kinda understand what he was sayin...

Like I said, I LOVE writing and playing music... And I LOVE showin my stuff to you guys on here... But sometimes it IS hard to just throw it out there and not be embarrassed... So, thank you guys again... For even listening in the first place, and for all the support!

8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Great job again @SquierTap . That tone and rhythms reminded me of Missouri from the late '70s. The lyrics and vocals remind me of...you man!

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I use a Behringer! Lol... Seriously, I use a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202... It was around a hundred bucks if I remember... I got it almost 2 years ago... But it has those "Midas" preamps or "pads" I guess you'd call it, but if it's good enough for Elvis and Brian Wilson, it's good enough for me, lol... I had NO idea when I bought it, that it had that preamp...

gearobsessed, mofojar and Mr Bones like this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Sweet! EXACTLY what I was goin for! Lol... Somethin' kinda familiar, but different and new, too...

Mr Bones likes this.
  11. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Great Job, brother!
    Love th song, an yer performance, as well as studio skill, mixdown, production, etc.

Headin back fer another listen, but wanted to tell ya what I thought...:)

If yer wantin Suck, I can point ya to a short series of ones I jus did :eek:

I can actually play purty well, but Stuff jus wasn't workin that day, an havin th phone/camera on me kinda still distracts me...ain't no way out but through th middle, boys! ;)

I'll git past it, I reckon...

SquierTap likes this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Trust me... We ALL have "off" days, brother... It's just part of it... But I've found, usually if you try to force somethin to work, rarely it does... It always seems to be that the almost effortless stuff that comes together naturally is always the best stuff...
    It's kinda weird... We put all this time into practicing, and scales, and repetition, but the BEST stuff seems to just fall out when you're not really "trying"...

That's a special kinda hell for me... To have a song that I REALLY want to work, and sittin down and REALLY focusing on it... I find that MOST of the time I wind up way over thinkin it... So, now, what I'll usually do is if I'm workin on lyrics and I'm stuck, I try to not even think about it... I'll grab my guitar and throw a delay or some other kind of effect that I rarely use, and just do somethin else for a while... But when I do that, it's almost like my brain kinda puts it on "hold" and I can kinda live with it for a while, kick it around my head a bit, and eventually, the little bit of grit that's annoying me starts to turn into a pearl, lol...

Kenneth Mountain and Mr Bones like this.
  13. 65-mustang

65-mustang Squier Talker

Sep 16, 2017
    cali
    Dang. I like that. great job!

14. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    holy cow - @SquierTap !!

first off, sorry I haven't gotten a chance to sit and listen (on good speakers) until tonight.

second - that was fantastic!! totally dug the vibe, and turned up my speakers (and my grin) as I was listening. :)

Really nice job on the production, its so flipping crisp! (love the crunchy guitar tracks)

I think I'm going to run this back a few more times now, TY :D

15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I genuinely appreciate it, hoss! ANY TIME someone takes time out their busy day to actually sit and listen to a piece of music that I've worked really hard on, I appreciate it SO much...
    Especially if they actually like it, or get some kind of enjoyment out of it! Lol... Your comment was super kind...

As far as the production, unless you're a professional producer, I'm sure we ALL wish our mixes were better, but this one turned out pretty good, even in MY opinion, lol...

And my equipment really is minimal... Like I said, I use a really basic, cheap, Behringer interface, a Samson C01 condenser mic that I paid $89 for almost 20 years ago, my Squiers, my Katana 100 combo, and the "Mighty Mono"... Lol...

And I use Reaper... Which is a FREE D.A.W. ... But it's definitely powerful...

@LDS714 tried to get me to switch to Reaper from Adobe Audition for YEARS, lol... Glad I FINALLY listened, lol...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  16. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Kudos brother, that is some great work there!

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, brother... Just to be honest, I'm gonna have to look them up, because I have NO idea who they are! Lol... But I get "that sounds like so-and-so" a lot, lol... Which is cool... I want my stuff to be new and it's own thing, but kinda familiar too...

18. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    I really like that,my wife does as well , 2 big thumbs up and appreciation for the music from Detroit!

SquierTap likes this.
  19. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice