Other Guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Jul 7, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    A couple of short months ago I wrote several posts about my then new Wangs Mini 5 amplifier -- and how its very unique sonic clarity was giving me the opportunity to become reacquainted with some of my less often played guitars. That has proved true.

Amps color guitar's sound. (Most of us see that as a plus. I sure do!) But in so doing to some degree the things that make a guitar unique unto itself is thereby lost, and to some degree at least all our guitars tend towards the same sonic picture when played through a given amplifier.

We can call that "our voice." And such it indeed can be. But what about the guitar's own voice? For me the Mini 5 has started me searching for such -- to see what I might have started missing. And several of my guitars have re-attracted my heart as their own lovely voice has once again been heard.

Here is one such. My 2002 Gibson SG Supreme.

Gibson 2002 SG Supreme.jpg

I fell in love with Gibson's "SG" series before they even had that name. For originally what we now call the "SG" was called simply "The Les Paul." -A new Les Paul. One released in 1961 after the older, heavier, single cutaway model that we all so well know had for a time fell out of favor, being seen as too heavy, to clunky, and too, well, "old fashioned."

As a new guitarist I'd hang around the Hempstead, LI, NY Sam Ash -- the company's first store apart from their relatively small one in the city -- and drool over the guitars I wished to have but as a still pennyless teenager could only dream about. And top on that list was the then new "Les Paul."

Jump ahead a full forty years. Jan and I had weathered a tough period as she, while still working full time with a very demanding position (Assistant Dean of Admissions for a college graduate program) had lovingly nursed her very aged parents until each had, within months of one-another, passed on to their deserved rest.

We'd barely had any time together. Jan was exhausted, but her 'job' had been done -- just what they had deserved, loving parents and people that they were.

Anyhow, Jan had gotten a small cash inheritance, and Jan being Jan decided to use it to buy a "dream" gift for each of the people most dear to her. For me it was this guitar. -The truly otherwise out of reach, 'best of them all,' SG. The 2002 SG Supreme.

The name, btw, was not just selling blather. "Supreme" it truly was and is. And that in several ways.

The first one jumps right out at you: That flamed maple top with its stunning burst finish.

Gibsin 2002 SG Supreme Body.jpg

And that maple is no veneer. No, this "SG" is really a Les Paul with a different shape and weight. As the original LP its body is mahogany with thick maple cap -- in this case half its total thickness. Chosen with care -- the best of the best. And then finished to let its grained glory show through.

The guitar has an ebony board. Really fine ebony. Almost grainless and nearly black. Gorgeous! And it is a long, long, board too. 24 frets worth!

The PUPs are "`57 Classics." Pure PAF. And the "gold" is just that. (Albeit rather thinly applied -- and frankly too delicate)

She plays as beautifully as she looks.

Jan's dream was to fulfill a dream of mine. And as the wear on the gold shows she did just that. For quite a few years this was my main axe. Played for hours on end, almost daily.

It's nice to be playing her again! And via the Wangs Mini 5 hearing her uniquely wonderful voice.

-don

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    ADLGMT8, CVSteve, ElRey67 and 6 others like this.
  2. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    She is a beautiful SG Don,glad you are enjoying her again ! :)

ElRey67, dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    My favorite of your collections :cool:

4. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    That's the nicest looking SG I've ever seen. The one thing I don't have is a green guitar but I will remedy that someday.

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Man, that is beautiful. Why have we not seen this before?

There is something special about an SG for me. My wife bought me a Standard back in 1996. It doesn’t get as much play time as other guitars I have and I don’t know why. Every time I play it, it just feels good.

duceditor likes this.
  6. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Meister

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    That is a beauty! I've always had an SG soft spot in my heart, that's one of the nicest I've seen. The story behind it makes it even more special, and totally yours!

7. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I hear you!

When Jan asked me which of the three colors (is also came in bright red and blue 'bursts') and I chose green she was surprised. But there were two reasons for my choice.

The first was just what you mention. I didn't, and loved the idea of having, a "green" guitar. The Emerald Burst to me just cried out to be owned!

Two, I had had a green guitar for a short time. Back in my days in the Abstracts.

It was an emerald green Guild Starfire V -- a lovely, but troublesome guitar.

I'd traded in my ES124 for it -- having fallen in love with its looks, its feel and tone. Only to have some sort of failure in it electrical connections.

As I remember a capacitor had simply fallen off one of the guitars pots. I knew little about such at the time -- and getting to those parts on the Guild was hard -- so I'd sent it in to be fixed.

Weeks went by and when it was returned to me there was a bad bash in the guitars neck. With a major concert coming up I simply traded it in on a red one and moved on. But I never really bonded with that later guitar. So here was my chance to again "go green." -About the only time such a phrase had any appeal to me. :)

-don

gibson-sg-supreme-midnight-blue-flame-029061309-right__wwg.jpg gibson+sg+supreme+(1).jpeg

corn likes this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Indeed! I how did it get shifted to the back bench?

Basically my playing style changed. First towards blues -- and for this I gravitated to an ES and then a Tele. Then towards surf and the offsets (which is what brought me here to S-T), and then back to rockin' on P90s.

Odd that, isn't it? And that gorgeous guitar has hardly been touched in years.

Gotta change that! Just gotta! She deserved it!!!

:)

-don

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Nice story. In case you ever want to, gold plating like that is not terribly expensive to get redone, if you get the same "gold flash" it originally had.

ElRey67, duceditor and Pat V. like this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    You know, I'd not even considered that.

Not sure where I'd go to get it done -- but that is why God (or one of his creation) created Google, yes? Thanks for sharing that! :)

So I just a had a nice session using her. Started out just as above, but then (surprise!) I decided to see how she sang through the Sweet Baby, and yeah, I was then again there hooked.

Interestingly just giving a bit of color through the ACTone pedal got me into fun and familiar tonal territory -- whether that is what I had in mind or not.

Such a sweet neck! I'd almost forgotten that.

I got a feeling I'll be playing her a lot in the days ahead.

-don

ElRey67 and Triple Jim like this.
  11. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I know what you mean by some guitar is sounding much better through certain amps. And I asked myself, have I tried all my guitars through all my amps? Probably not. Am I missing something? Probably so! But I do for the most part know which guitar Will sing with a certain amp and which amps work with certain guitars.
    I think this is why some guitars or Amps get a bad rap because they are pricey equipment and sometimes they just do not click together, people probably think a certain guitar sounds like crap and it shouldn’t because they’re playing it through a very expensive amp, but the fact is maybe the two just don’t click and that guitar through a different ample sound beautiful. To me this is why owning a few different options Is nice.

duceditor and Triple Jim like this.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Wow, that reminds me that I haven't tried my new Telecaster through my old Peavey 212 Classic! A trebly guitar through an amp capable of both treble and rumbling bass. Duhhh.

duceditor likes this.
  13. platefire

platefire Squier-Nut

Sep 14, 2016
    North Louisiana
    Love that guitar! Green is a color that has really grown on me in my old age and that particular shade is perfect. The absolute quality just ozzes out at you. Glad you re-discovered it, enjoy! Platefire

duceditor likes this.
  14. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Bravo Don! Great story too. I have seen you post this guitar in another thread. Its a guitar that once you see it, you cannot unsee it. This guitar stuck in my head whenever I thought about SG's.
    You have great stories Don, and we appreciate you sharing with us here.

duceditor likes this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Very true about her beauty. But oddly we can with familiarity come to take that for granted.

I've seen that happen to men with lovely wives. They slowly come to just take them for granted. A mistake I've never made with a woman (Thank God!), but to some degree have with instruments.

Many of us have. Thus the endless tales of "why did I ever sell that _______? I'd do almost anything to get it back!"

I keep most of my instruments out on stands. And not coincidentally I have a recliner in my music room exactly centered across from the "stage." Its there principally as a listening chair -- perfectly centered not just with my playing area, but with my "serious listening" stereo system.

Still I use it for naps. And as I get older those are no longer rare occurrences.

I raise that here because of an interesting phenomena -- what I have heard attributed to the strengthening of beta waves in the brain with sleep -- the great sensitivity to beauty we (Some of us at least. I've never been anyone other than me.) experience upon awakening.

There are three guitars that are forever grabbing my eye when I awaken from a "nap."

#1 is the Jazzmaster. My eye gravitates to that one the most often. Its beauty jumps out and pounces on me like a cat. Over and over again this happens.

The second is my Les Paul. Black with cream binding. So simple, but so eye appealing!

And #3 is this SG.

Why is it 3rd? I think it is because its beauty (at least to me eyes) are in its detail. Its "fineness," not its shape.

Of course if Jan is in the room it is none of these! Even now after fifty years together. :D

Again I say it: "Thank God!!!"

:)

-don

CVSteve, daan and ElRey67 like this.
  16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Your stand idea is great, I’d love to keep my nicest guitars out 24-7. But I have little kids, and they’ve already broken all my camera gear (which I DID keep out 24-7, to not ever miss a picture) I have guitars specifically for each of the girls that are always out, but my “good” guitars sleep in their cases. I know I’d play them more if they weren’t hidden away...
    Oh and that SG is positively jewel-like, thanks for sharing it!

duceditor likes this.