Oscar Schmidt Gold Top

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by porkpie, Mar 9, 2019.

1. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Been busy so here are some pics of my new Oscar Schmidt. It's a pretty sweet guitar, not a blemish on it kudos to Butler Music for great packaging. I would have to say for the money one would be hard pressed to find a nicer gold top. Pickups sound good, not too muddy or bright to my ear. It was set up pretty nice, which I thought surprising. Bad is fret sprout, which is easily taken care of. Not crazy about the tuners and the bridge is low quality, both of these can be fixed pretty easy without much money spent. Pretty sure I saw a guy on youtube replace it with an Agile bridge from Rondo. Overall pretty happy with this Les Paul knockoff. goldtop1.jpg

goldtop2.jpg

BTW had a good day on Craiglist, will post another thread.

2. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Fantastic.

I was wanting one, but I have way too many things going on right now. I'm in over my head with guitars at the moment.

But I'm glad you give it a thumbs up. :)

Taurus and porkpie like this.
  3. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Yep, over my head too, just trying to catch up with you!

Eddie likes this.
  4. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Wow, that's a looker! Nice grab!

BlueSquirrel and porkpie like this.
  5. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks Hoss, for $180 shipped I'm not complaining.

Hoss and Eddie like this.
  6. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    I've been looking at this OS gold top, too. I've read mixed reviews, but that is less my concern (I have no problem returning until I get one made right if that's what it takes.)

My concern is how much I can leave it alone. Sometimes bargains cost me as much or even more than the label item:

So I ask myself, if I spent ~$200 on this, would I then spend:
    $15 on a nut
    $25+on a bridge
    $35+ on tuners
    $25 on electronics
    $130-250 on pickups

Would I want to buy a $430+ Oscar Schmidt?

Still, I guess compared to an Epiphone Standard Gold Top at $500 ($350 used), I'd still probably replace some parts for around $115.

So $430 for the OS LP that I'd like and play, or $465-615 for the Epiphone version that I know better?

It's hard to choose. If it comes down to a $35 difference (and less modding/work) I'd probably go with the Epi, but then, at this point neither of these are budget guitars anymore.

Maybe to simplify it more: is $200 for an OS LP in the end a better deal than $350 for a used Epi LP Standard?

I'm caught between impulse, reason, and whimsy. Thoughts?

Davey and SoundDesign like this.
  7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I deal with the push and pull of this scenario all the time since it is too easy to "over improve" a guitar bit by bit until you've crossed over into a price point of better "stock" guitars. If you ever want to sell the Oscar, you'll be returning it to stock or eating the cost of your upgrades...

Conghaille likes this.
  8. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Yes, I've eaten parts and effort far too many times when trading/selling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice