Orphee strings?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by bugo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. bugo

bugo Squier-Meister

Jul 14, 2011
    Tulsa
    I found what looks like a good deal on some "Orphee" brand strings. I had never heard of them. Has anybody used them, and what are their pluses and minuses? Do they stay in tune and not break?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I bought 30 packages last year to have around for testing purposes for my cigar box guitar builds. I didn't want to use expensive strings, like my favorite NYXL's, for this. So, since I could get 10 packs of Orphee's from Chinese eBay sellers at the same price as one pack of NYXL's, I bought them. I strung a couple of my guitars with them as well, also as a test.

In general, they're OK, comparable to the budget brands you'll find in stores. They stay in tune well, even when on cigar box guitars stored in a cold or hot garage. Out of about a dozen packages so far, I ran across one 'dead' sounding string. They do have a brighter tone than I usually like in a string but that's probably more of a personal preference.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. SkeeterSkooter

SkeeterSkooter Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    I too bought a 12 pack off eBay when I first got my guitar. I went through 5 or 6 high e strings just tuning to pitch. The ball end kept unraveling.

When I finally found a high be thT would hold tune they were fine.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.