Online Auction Guitar Horror

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Hektor, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Hektor

Hektor Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2019
    Europe
    Though I would share this...

Last week I saw a low spec Gibson Les Paul on an auction website (like ebay, but not ebay) for a good / low price. Seller had good ratings, but the description was missing some info, so I contacted the seller through the auction site, asking the usual questions:

- What is the condition of the guitar?
    - Is there any damage (dings, scratches etc)?
    - Do the pickups work
    - How many owners?
    - Is the neck straight?

Answers came back a few days later:

- It is in used but good condition.
    - There is no major damage, only a few small scratches.
    - Only 1 owner
    - Yes, neck is in perfect condition

However, the lack of prompt response and his other items on auction (4 others acoustic guitars plus a ton of "retro" furniture and general household items) made me sceptical. So rather than buy it sight-unseen, I decided to invest the two hours to drive to see it.

The guitar was:

- Dinged to hell and back
    - Had a lot of scratches in odd places.
    - The top edge / on the top curve was a long line / scratch that looked like the body was splitting in town (but this isn't possible, there is no maple top on this model and it's from 2011, so unless Gibson started making pancake guitars again......)
    - It had been played, a lot. And looked as if it had not been cleaned, ever.
    - And worst of all, the neck was twisted something fierce.

Needless to say, I walked away.

Be careful out there when buying a guitar. If you can, go to see it before buying it, or ask for extremely detailed photos of the entire guitar before purchasing it and get the owner to agree that you can return it if it is not as described.

SquierTap, radiotech, Robb and 5 others like this.
  2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Unscrupulous characters looking to make a few dollars any way they can :confused:o_O:mad::confused:

SquierTap, Robb and gmt124 like this.
  3. chefjeff

chefjeff Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2019
    California
    Sorry to hear this. I have all but given up on the general population. Selling or buying on Craigslist and many other sites is just not worth it any more for me. I would rather be part of a community of folks like this, and sell buy to people I feel have a similar passion for the items and fellow members. This doesn't work for everything, and it may be a slower process. But at least I don't have to deal with scams, lying idiots, and the typical junk that's "in very good condition".

Again, sorry this happened to you. I hope you can find another guitar that makes you happy. Strum on.

SquierTap, eaglesgift, so1om and 2 others like this.
  4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    If you look for sub $200 guitars on local sites the risk is minimal. Buying used from GC is risk free because of their return policy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice