One more "Another something different guitar" incoming Supro Black Holiday

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by blackspider57, Oct 31, 2018.

1. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Well no one told me about her
    What could I do?
    Well no one told me about her
    Though they all knew

But it's too late to say you're sorry
    How would I know, why should I care?
    Please don't bother trying to find her
    She's not there

That is the only Zombie I speak. Sorry! ;)

-nod

Caddy likes this.
  2. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    I could hear the melody immediately.:cool:

Caddy and duceditor like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    When you think about it... isn't that amazing?

How many years ago did you hear those words sung? But BANG they are back in mind with that haunting melody.

That is the mysterious power of music!!!

-don

blackspider57 likes this.
  4. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Continued observations after more introduction time with this guitar.
    The Black Holiday is more resonant than her sister. More "Resoglassy" if that is even a word. And I believe it is because of the Vibrato assembly that likely dampens some of the cosmic vibrations of the guitar body, whereas the Black Holiday is free to have a bit more shimmer?

Anyways, the other thing I notice is both the volume and tone pots are extremely sensitive to the slightest movement in there quite limited sweep. From soft to fire-breathing dragon tones with just a hair of movement. Very satisfied with this fine guitar 24 hours in, and expect only to enjoy it more as the days pass.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I bet you hit on it!

In the various interviews I read with those behind the Americana line project (Supro's head, David Koltai, and legendary guitar designer Trevor Wilkinson), a point that was repeatedly made is that the acousta-glas design was not solely about appearance or manufacturing ease. That it was an essential part of the instrument's sound. And in its later (and today even further developed) use of it with a routed-out mahogany rear was one of the two of the instrument's key sonic differentiators. (The other being the very accurate reproduction of Ralph Keller's unique 1954 designed "Vistatone" pickup.)

Says the Supro site...

This historic reissue guitar mates a chambered body with a newly-developed, composite “Acousti-glass” top. This updated construction preserves the instrument’s Art Deco aesthetics and timeless, semi-hollow sound.

And as on a classic 'jazzbox' keeping that faceboard free to vibrate is an essential part of its sound. -Thus the use of a jazzbox-like "floating bridge." -Thus the attachment of neck and the pickups to a substructure and not the acousta-glas face itself.

The vibrato unit, for all its glory, takes away from that essential design component.

Note how on most of the early acousta-glas designs even the pickguard "floats" above the guitar's face, as does the tailpiece -- attached only at the guitar's "tail," not to its face. This, again, following classic jazzbox design practice.

Your picking up on this, Blackspider, makes me again glad I followed your example and ordered this guitar (while it was still available), instead of waiting in hope of getting a Coronado II with Vibrato as I had initially intended to do.

Yes, I do love that vibrato unit. But I have that available on the White Holiday. To have had it on my 2nd Supro would have meant missing out on this likely essential part of the Supro's unique sound. And it is largely for that sound (and not just the super cool looks!) ;) that I got into these guitars in the first place.

Well done analysis! :)

-don

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Okay! It arrived!

May I say it???...........WooHoo!

I've done very little with it yet.

I removed the sticky film.
    I made a slight adjustment to the neck relief (that because I like Gibby scale necks almost flat. This one came technically "right".)
    Tuned it to pitch 5 times (new stringitis. Yes, they were on the guitar but tuned a step down)

Then I loosened the strings, masked the bridge, and did her with lemon oil.

That's almost it, apart from checking everything out.

And yes, she is beautiful.
    And yes, she is very different from her white sister.

Gonna be fun!

:)

-don

Not even played yet....

2018-11-08_14-37-00_989.jpeg

Caddy likes this.
  7. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Looks beautiful!!!!!!
    I hope you will start a new" Supro Black Holiday" thread to share your experience and impressions? :)
    Looking forward to hearing what you think!!

Did you also get a Sweetwater inspection card in yours? :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    duceditor likes this.