OMG....I just have to have one

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by whaynes3, Dec 6, 2018.

1. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    A epiphone LS 2 single coils nice gibson D profile neck. Body is alder... I had alot of fin with ar GC today.... I Probably get the one on GC used gear for 69.00 bucks.

2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Do you mean an Epiphone SL? I have one and haven't touched it in months. What a piece of junk; but the body isn't alder it's poplar so I don't know what model you are talking about. I tried to sell it on consignment but got no takers and I tried to sell it on Craigslist and got no takers. So I'm stuck with it.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Sounds like you two should strike a deal. :)

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    If it speaks to you, it speaks to you. Play the hell out of it.

And pics or it didn't happen.

5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    These are far from pieces of junk. They just need a little work. If you have basic guitar modding skills they can be stellar guitars. The two I modded probably got more playtime than any of my other guitars this past year. Mine have great necks, stay in tune and are fun lightweight players. They just needed a little help getting there.... which was a lot of fun doing.

TQ-001.jpg SYZ-001.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Also, the stock pickups were fine. I just wanted some chrome topped mini HBs on mine.
    The body is Poplar.... just like the body on my Steve Morse signature Music Man.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

They are fine guitars ... unless you need that Paylessi Factor.
    yes some setup and maybe some fret leveling

They are quite similar to the Epiphone Special Junior and II models. Just with a pickguard and single coils.

Here's my Epiphone Speical Junior. I bought it used for $15 and put probably $25 in parts, including the pickup swap, to get a split coil option. It gets played a lot more than the fancy Gibson I have. It's just a fun easy guitar.
    [​IMG]

8. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    OMFG! These both look a thousand times more sophisticated with those mini buckers. I am totally inspired to follow up on my Epi LP SL P90 trip. Look out for a thread here soon!

Pat V. and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

Thanks! Here's the thread where both builds came to fruition. LINK

Lots of pics here and lots of useful information from a bunch of folks here.

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/ngd-–-epiphone-les-paul-sl.129876/

Totally Squiered likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    For the same price, Squier and many others are far superior to the SL. I think I described it as thinking you got a date with the hottest chick in town. You go to pick her up, wait 2 hours and she comes downstairs wearing sweatpants.

I looked at at least 10 SL at GC and a few at Sam Ash. They all required significant work to make them reasonably playable. And I’ve seen better finishes come out of freshman year high school wood shop.

Whereas there are Ibanez, other epiphones, Squiers.. either full price or used. Buy it and play it, be done.

As usual, I won’t tell anyone not to buy. Just that if you want a fixer upper or a move in ready.

Totally Squiered likes this.