Old British Bike Job

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MrYeats, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    This is a few pix I came across and reminisced about the days I had a bike shop in my garage. This is a 1950 AJS M10 500cc single. I did the black laquer, pinstripes, new tires, original seat, etc... The guy ran out of money before I had on the exhaust and get running so he took it back and garaged it. It had been garaged for 30 years and wa butt ugly with ape hangers and the whole 9 yards.

The two in the backgound are a couple of Ymahas I was redoing.
    AJS1.jpg AJS2.jpg AJS3.jpg
    AJS7.jpg
    AJS8.jpg

2. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Old British bikes are super cool. Well, bikes in general are, but there’s something special about Brit ones. Very cool!
    Were you able to get parts for that, or was it too obscure? I haven’t heard of that brand before, not that I’m an expert or anything...

MrYeats and Merv_j like this.
  3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    When I was a kid, every garden shed had an old Brit bike in it. the Japs with their super fast 2 strokes where the bike for us teens. Needless to say you could pick up a Brit bike for next to nothing back then and I was lucky enough to own AJS, Nortons, BSA, Panther. Cant buy a Brit bike now without spending 1000's.. Shame the Japs couldn't get the Brit engine sound from their engines, A Norton or BSA at full chat is a beautiful noise.

nitro, squierbilly, willhowl and 4 others like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Back in the 70s my uncle rode a Norton 850 Commando. Until he wrecked it.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    A 500cc single? Anyone who can kick start that one must have a massive right leg. I once had a 400 cc single, but it had one of those thingies to let you move the piston to the top position to make starting easier.

Nice work on the painting and pin striping.

MrYeats and Merv_j like this.
  6. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Hahaha!!! If you set the advance/retard in the wrong spot when you're starting her she'll kick back HARD!!! Big boots required!!!

mb doug, willhowl and MrYeats like this.
  7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Brit bikes have cool DNA.
    College, 1979, a small two-person dorm room (2nd floor, no elevator). 18-22 year old guys being studious, right? Naaa. friend rebuilt engine and tranny on a Norton Commando. We also managed to have space for at least two or more guys jamming in there.
    Never heard the bike run. End of school year I helped load the bike on top of a '68 Mustang and never saw either again. I can still hear the sheet metal on the roof crinkling.

8. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Oops! Forgot to say i LURVE that AJS!!!! Is she still with you?

mb doug, willhowl and MrYeats like this.
  9. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Last year they made them. I had an 850 Commando Interstate or Hi-rider. Flat top with a 6.5 gallon tank, Windjammer fairing and trunk.
    Center of balance was way too high, and if you got it off a hard surface, you had better be paying attention.
    P-11 Atlas in a chopped and stretched frame with an 18 over springer. Just about the time I got it running, the third of July in the middle of the night, my garage went up in flames with three bikes, two dirtbikes, several , fuel cans, torch tanks and all. All that was left were the steel parts. All aluminum was gone, and not even on the floor under it. Gone.
    I am currently riding a Suzuki Boulevard. I never intended to get on one again, but then my BIL's truck broke down and he sold me his bike at a price i could not pass up. The balance and characteristics are a lot like the old Norton Low-rider, only with a modern tuned 805 throttle body V-twin making about twice the power the old Norton 850 made.

10. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I got to examine one of the new Triumphs this past weekend. Three in line 2300 cc with dual exhaust ports and exhaust on each side of the bike, making it look like it might be a V6.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-Nut

Royal Enfield is back in Canada, albeit Royal Enfield of India. They never stopped making 250CC and 500CC singles since the old days and they were amazed that there was a market for the bikes outside of India, where they are considered to be basic transportation. I've seen a few around town and seem to have a bit of power, haven't seen one that was moded though:
    https://royalenfield.com/ca/

12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    To answer a few questions, no, I do not have it and yes parts are available thru relic bike shops.
    Oh there is a compression release for kicking.

13. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    B27285DA-8171-4D31-8CF6-AD9AB30DDE8A.jpeg In my youth I had a couple Honda dirt bikes (125cc) and a CB-360E. I didn’t ride for years, until I saw a Daytona. I took the MSF, got my cycle license in the new state I lived in, went to the bike store 46742634 times, filled out all the paperwork, and found out my insurance would be 3x the bike payment...

MrYeats, mb doug, Merv_j and 2 others like this.
  14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Somebody should tell Triumph to fire their website designer. I can't even get in to look at the bikes or to the specs on anything. Too much bull running all directions that means nothing.

MrYeats, Afrika61 and willhowl like this.
  15. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Wow....British bikes......Nice....I used to have a shop, close to home, that carried,I think Triumph, and BSA......Man, they were pretty.......Only deal was, they were BIG......and costly..........I've heard of AJS, don't think I ever saw a real one.......

Nobody"s mentioned this yet, so I will....An absolute classic tune by an acoustic guitar master....(also British).....Richard Thompson......

1952 Vincent Black Lightning ........Dig it!!!!.......

Gets my motor running every time I hear it.........YOW!!!!...........willhowl

nitro, squierbilly, Merv_j and 3 others like this.
  16. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-Meister

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas Coast
    some fine picking going on there.

willhowl, Merv_j and mb doug like this.
  17. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Maybe if I sell the house and both kidneys I could afford a Vincent....

willhowl and MrYeats like this.
  18. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    That two cylinder cruiser looks awesome, but at that price I can't believe they will sell very well here.
    They should have used the old octagon oil tank that was so much a part of the modified Triumphs in the past.

willhowl and MrYeats like this.
  19. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Looking at the bikes with a single cylinder and a compression release to start them brings back memories also.
    I don't even remember where I got it, but I was riding a Suzuki 400 cc single cylinder street bike back and forth to work. I put a milk crate on the cargo rack and used it like a truck sometimes. The larger bike had been destroyed in the fire right before that.
    It was almost like riding a dirt bike in traffic, since that is what the power plant was. A trials bike engine.
    That was the bike I took my pilots exam on! I survived the landing so they fly okay too!
    He pulled out blocking the road and then locked up his brakes when he heard my tires squeeling. I hit a Firebird that never saw me right in the front drivers wheel where the car was as short as I could hit.
    It is likely that the rear tire was already off the ground when I hit, and the front tire came straight back into the engine without the bars kicking sideways. Mid flight I kicked away from the bike. We landed about 15 feet apart.
    Still, I used that little bike for everything for a year or so. The single cylinder power plant works fine for a bike. As long as it has a compression release anyway!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018