Offset guitar cases?

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Treehouse, May 22, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    The jag is pretty much dialed in now and it needs a case!

Any recommendations? Any experience with the ones Guitar Fetish offer or the Gator equivalent.

I’m happy with my $50 Yaheetech Strat/tele case but it’s a way tight a squeeze for the offset body. Looks like that deal is long gone anyways.

Sorry if you guys are tired of hearing from me about this guitar. I don’t do NGDs often (second in 10 years) so I’m still like a little kid at Christmas!

Best1989 and waynes world like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have my Jazzmaster in a generic rectangle case, but I cant remember the model or brand right now. I'm sure someone will know what you need.

Treehouse likes this.
  3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    When I take the Jag out of the house I drop it in the same gig bag I use for my Strats/Teles. Jazzmasters needed a little bigger bag and I went with one of the Gator gig bags. I started looking into more heavy duty cases but stopped after I realized I wasn't taking a guitar too far from home any time in the near future.

drewcp and Treehouse like this.
  4. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Nut

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    When I had a jag I used a bass case.

drewcp and Treehouse like this.
  5. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Treehouse likes this.
  6. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Thanks for the replies guys. I do have a decent gig bag that is useable. But with little ones around the house, it's nice to have a hard case if I want to stow it away.

@VealCutlet Thanks for the link. I did read that particular case is not up to Gator standards. They do offer a higher-quality Deluxe model GW-JAG for only a few more bucks.

Being cheap, erm thrifty, I was hoping to find something for about half the price. Not that it exists.

7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It's a funny thing... One buys an expensive guitar -- say a Fender or Gibson -- then laying out big bucks for it a good case relatively easy. But it is hard to spend an amount equal to half the cost of the guitar for a less expensive one like one of our VM Jazzmasters or Jaguars.

When I bought my Affinities I got them without cases, but purchased one of MF's own brand tweed cases so I could travel with any of them. It was a passing fair solution to the 'may need one someday' situation that a no longer gigging (or playing out much at all) player such a me faces.

But when I got my Jazzy it wouldn't fit in that case -- and the choices seemingly available were few. So when I ordered my Jaguar just a few weeks later I finagled a good case -- a SKB Jaguar or Jazzmaster-Type Hardshell -- for about dealer cost as part of the deal. ($89 if memory serves, down from then about $150)

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.54.25 PM.png

Alas MF is no longer the independent company they were then -- it is now part of the Guitar Center consortium -- and in my experience at least they no longer allow their reps to deal -- it is all pretty much locked in. (Rats!!! - and yes, that has changed my buying habits. My rule is "no deally, no selley." )

Amazon, though, from time to time has true bargain deals on cases about equal to the ones MF and other such dealers customarily offer under their own brand names. And one such, the ChromaCast CC-EHC Electric Guitar Hard Case does fit an offset. So when those went on sale for $29 I bought a bunch of them and now have decent hard cases for all my guitars -- even the Affinities.

One trick to know is this: With Amazon you can choose an item for your cart, but instead of completing the purchase you can then check off "Save for later." Once you've done that the item is automatically flagged if its price changes. If one has a number of such items on one's want list you can just go to your Amazon "cart" each day and see if any of your flagged purchases is on a super sale.

BTW, if an item you want suddenly goes up in price -- a $79 case for instance suddenly is selling for $99 -- it usually means that a good sale is coming. They seem to 'up' the price for just the number of days needed so they can say "regulalry $99. Today only half price!"

Yes, it is all a game. (Funny how so many threads here contain that thought! And we 'old timers' know them!)

I find that i f I am patient I can get almost anything for a good price using the above method. But, yes, you have to be patient, not an impulse buyer.

Again, here's the one to look for. It does for a Jazzy or a Jag.

ChromaCast CC-EHC Electric Guitar Hard Case

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 2.50.45 PM.png

-don

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    radiotech, VealCutlet and Treehouse like this.
  8. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    @duceditor thank you! good to know you are happy with the chromacast. I see you're Amazon review, including examples of guitars that fit. That is a pretty Jazzmaster. It sure looks squeezed though...

9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes, the offsets are "tight" in that there is no room to spare. But the SBK is TOUGH. The other - well they are not airliner hold cases. Not ones you want thrown about or trampled on. But for everyday, carrying and trunk of the car type use, they are more than decent.

:)

-don

Treehouse likes this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I have the CC case Don mentioned, and it does indeed hold a jazz, Jag, or SG (mine has held two of the three), here’s the link, and a picture of it from Amazon holding both types.
    upload_2020-5-22_15-30-24.jpeg

The downside of this case, is that the neck support brace is soft, and it’s very easy for the neck to shift inside if you put the case down firmly (or it gets knocked around).

In our previous discussion of these cases, a couple guys have made their own braces inside, closer to the headstock to correct this problem.

Good deal @ 57 bucks.

Treehouse likes this.
  11. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Treehouse likes this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    You.sir, are more clever than me. You went to the reviews section and took pictures of actual owner's guitars in the cases. And, funnier still, 4 out of 5 were mine!

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.25.00 PM.png

:)

-don

radiotech likes this.
  13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Hahahahah!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice