NvAD - Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by mkt3000, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    I've been looking for a a small or medium tube amp lately. I was considering buying the 5 watt Kustom 1x12 stack, but have been kinda scared at shipping a tube amp here, since there's no local Kustom dealer.

Well, as I left work, I logged into the classifieds and the very first ad was "FENDER TUBE AMP" followed by "$200"

*** I said... I thought it was a Champ 600 or something of the sort. Either way, it was on my way from home to San Juan (this weekends party destination), so I didn't lose anything just check it out. I call the guy, and we agree to meet at his church.

It was a 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb (I checked the serial number on the chassis afterward). Since I left in a hurry, I didn't bring a guitar... neither did he. So I took a $200 gamble once I saw it power up and the tubes starting to glow. I didn't even haggle.

I'll give it a proper test on Monday or Sunday when I return home. Either way, I'm stoked... I own a vintage Fender tube amp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JapaneseBullets

JapaneseBullets Squier-holic

:eek: Congrats! That's probably the best deal I've seen on this forum ever.... and there's been some good ones.

3. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA???!!

NICE SCOOOOOORE!

I just got my '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue last month and I will say you are going to LOVE that amp! I ended up paying a little over a grand for mine so you absofreakinlutely got the deal of the century on that amp. Especially with it being the real thing and not a reissue.

Welcome to the Deluxe Club!

4. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Now I will warn you that even it being 22 watts it is a LOUD 22 watts.

So if you are in an apartment you should look into getting one of these to go with it https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm . I got one fo rmine and it is the most useful piece of gear I own :cool:

[​IMG]

5. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Squier-holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Upper Midwest USA
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Oh My MY..$200 ?? He didn't know what he had..Even with the wrong handle, that jewel is worth 5 to 10 times that..That is IMO the best amp Fender or any other amp company ever made..
    I hope you have a knowledgeable amp person somewhere near you to have it checked out..If it hasn't been serviced lately it needs to be checked..Nearly 50 years old..Those electrolytic caps need to be looked at, probably replaced. If one goes bad it can take a tranny out..
    Congrats on the deal of a lifetime..

7. mrlinguini

mrlinguini Squier-holic

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    Very, very nice...you will have fun with that.

8. tabdog

tabdog Squier-holic

May 2, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Congrats on a great amp,

Tabdog

9. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    This put me in a mood. I'm gonna pay this karma forward.

Anyone who replies to this thread.. if they ever find their way to my neck of the woods, beers are on me.

10. JapaneseBullets

JapaneseBullets Squier-holic

Yep +1

11. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    I plugged her in... zaaaaap went my hand. Gonna take her to get checked out.

12. beetle101

beetle101 Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2011
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Great buy, and an excellent idea to get her checked out don't want a loose wire to fry a great amp. Funny you mentioned your neck of the woods, leaving on a cruise next month from San Juan never been there and am looking forward to it.

13. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

That amp is worth well over $1000, probably closer to $2000. Seriously. It looks like it is in reasonable shape. I would take the money you saved and have the amp recapped. The electronic parts tend to wear out, leak, drift after about 20 years. Unreal Score.

Fantastic... Score of the year thus far.

TJ

14. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

Papa Joe, I just read your post. You are dead right my friend. Exactly what I was thinking. That is probably the most sought after Fender amp made. And I agree. Probably the best amp they made. It is perfect for about any situation. I love the Deluxe and when that is working properly, there is magic in that box...

TJ

15. tjnugent

tjnugent Squier-holic

Also, having work done on the amp will not effect value. Even if you replace the speaker and all the internal parts. Don't touch the tolex or the rest of it. Except maybe put a new reverb tank with a cover. I would look at this as a worthy project amp to return to its glory.. but if the tolex is in halfway good shape.. no need to recover...

TJ

16. ns2joel

ns2joel Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2010
    Brownsville,Tx
    San Juan what state?

17. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    That sucks it aint workin right at the moment. But for 200 bucks... Id expect it to not work and need a fix...

A Weber Mini Mass would definatly be something to look into at some point down the road for sure. Will give you the option to turn the knobs to whatever you want without breaking windows or pissing off neighbors...

18. mkt3000

mkt3000 Squier-holic

Jan 23, 2012
    Miami
    Alrighty... so updates.

ns2joel, Puerto Rico..

anyway. Spoke to the amp tech today, and I have an appointment scheduled for next month, after I return from vacation. We were able to solve the shock situation. It ended up being that the ground switch was in the wrong position (oops!). We went through the parts, the tubes, etc, and we found out that the tubes are all original, but the speaker was replaced at some point.

Two of the pots are acting up. The bass knob on the normal channel is too loose, and the treble knob on the vibrato channel requires major force for it to move- but it does move. Obviously, I'll know more once I plug in an instrument.

Also, I misread the serial number. It's a 1967, not a 64. Still vintage, still cool, and still a ridiculous bargain.

Right now the only things I plan on doing are retubing it, replacing the speaker with something closer to correct, replacing the handle, and just a minor cleanup.

19. ns2joel

ns2joel Squier-Meister

Feb 21, 2010
    Brownsville,Tx
    Oh ok I have a San Juan pretty close to me. lol

20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Here some info on your amp...
    I noticed there was no cover on the back of the speaker so didn't know if it was the original with the cover removed or had been replaced..
    The reverb tank has to be put in the propper bag and fastened to the bottom of the cab.. The reverb cables are not original but they are fine..
    On the konb that is hard to turn= see if it's pushed on too far and rubbing against the face plate..You can loosen it with a tiny screwdriver and back it off..very commen problem..
    The knob that's too loose might be spinning on the shaft and needs to be tightened..another commen problem..
    Careful not to over tighten those screws..You'll strip the threads in the knob..
    I'd estimate (by what I can see) the market value should be about $1000---$1200 as it is now..After replacing the missing or damaged parts with correct time era parts it should be worth at least $500 more..
    There is very little value deprieciation by not having the orginal era speaker and reverb cables..But some..
    This site that I'm posting has all the parts that you need..

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-blackface-deluxe-reverb/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice