NUGD

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by nitro, Mar 28, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Dang that turned out real nice Dave, lovin that bubblegum pink. I saw that color , but the Wifeypoo has spoken ! She's got a thing for yellow.

Kenneth Mountain and DaveDrums like this.
  2. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Ah yes, making progress. Not really fond of this paint or this color, but, my wifey picked it out IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0514.JPG

If you look close you might notice the pearlescent clear that's over the paint. Just a couple of layers for an effect. Not the top coat yet.

3. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Looks great! I learned the hard way patience and a very light touch is the way to paint. Nice job!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey thanks Dave.

5. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Ok, 3 more light color coats and 3 pearlescent clear coats and stage two is complete! Finally.

Alright, I'd like to get some opinions on this as I'm not to partial to any one of these pickgaurds. I like them all and thanks to a good friend I have these three choices. So here she is , (chewy II),
    IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0523.JPG

6. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    And one more tort,
    IMG_0522.JPG

So , let's here it boys. Which one do you like the best?

7. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
  8. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Nut

I'd go with the tort and a 3-saddle if you have one.

The speed knobs are a hard no for me Wayne...

Kenneth Mountain and nitro like this.
  9. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I like the pearl first, black 2nd. Guitar looks great!

Kenneth Mountain and nitro like this.
  10. Kickstand

Kickstand Squier-Nut

Dec 23, 2015
    El Mirage Arizona
  11. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Thanks guys, SD The knobs aren't correct I know, but they were on it when I got it, and as such would be the only thing original from what it was when I got it.

Keep in mind , all the pg's are new. Still have plastic on them. And as mentioned, it's not been clear coated or polished. I like all three pg's. In person I'm diggin the tort the most. Just curious what everyone else thought. And I am gonna replace the knobs . I don't have the brass saddles. But I agree they would look good

12. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    One step forward and two steps back. AHGHHH! this thing is really getting on my nerves. Well I screwed up the dang clear coat and now I've stripped it back off. and it was looking good too. Shoot! And of course , now it's all rainey and humid. I can't catch a break with this project it seem's.

I'll update again soon as the weather clears and conditions are ok for moving forward again.

13. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    Pearloid

14. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    What are you using for paints (color and clear) and how long are you waiting between? Light coats are best (mist).

15. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    I'm sorry guys I know this is taking forever. But, I have come to a conclusion. This tele does not want to be sunset yellow. And I'm never going to try the Rustoleum 2x paint and primer again to paint a guitar body with.

Time to try something else. I like Rustoleum brand paints , just not that one. Not sure what I'm gonna use but I've ,since starting this project, spent more money on paint and sand paper and a new sander than what I'd normally pay for a used guitar on CL! No sir, time for a change.

16. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I think the key to success with Rustoleum is to have the body flat when painting. Because it goes on thickly, it is heavy and wants to sag. I used light coats first on all the hard edges, in order to build some thickness to prevent sanding through later. Then painted the top in several passes and lightly painted the sides. After it had dried enough to not run, flipped it over and did the reverse side, again adding paint to the sides to build thickness. I also found it was useful to put the cans in warm water for 5-10 minutes before spraying.

17. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey micheal , thanks for all your advice so far. I actually had the color coat just about perfect, for me anyway. Not really expecting a factory finish out of spray cans, you know?

I had three light coats of clear poly already done. It was looking really good and I was proud of the job . I wanted to get one more light coat of clear so I would feel comfortably abel to do the final compounding and polishing steps, I used the gray scotchbrite pad for between coats and lightly rubbed it down . Problem was , I hit it with some light compressed air to blow the dust off and the poly started lifting and blowing off like skin, when I hit the area on the front around the string holes. So, I sanded it all the way back down to the color coat and of course went to far in some spots and tried reapplying color again only to mess it up. It's not that the paint is to cold, the cans stay out in the garage. I've tried to only paint when the temperature is between 75-85 degrees. And over the last week we've been getting a lot of rain keeping the humidity up. So my windows are few and far between right now.

I've decided to go in a new direction entirely. I'm going to use Rustoleum premium, the can with the built in trigger on the head. I've used it on other projects with great results. It sprays more like a compressed air rig than a regular spray can , cost twice as much and come in far fewer colors. So I'm gonna give the "aged copper" color a try. I think it'll look good with the black or white pearl pick-guard that I already have . Hopefully, I'll be able to get something done with it tonight. If I do I'll post some pics this evening. Thanks again man.

18. DaveDrums

DaveDrums Squier-Nut

Feb 2, 2017
    MA, USA
    I've only refinished one guitar (a bass) but I feel ya. I think you may be a) putting on too much paint. b) applying the clear either too soon, too heavy, or using Rustoleum clear. That Jag bass refinish thread I posted shows the unfortunate results of all those things. When i did it the 2nd and final time i did mist coats outside on a hot dry day (3 quick mist coats of color, about 5 minutes apart). Then I let dry outside all day in sun hanging in the breeze and in the shed at night. 2 or 3 days later I used Minwax fast drying Poly for the gloss clear (no sanding of final color coat) real light mist, same conditions, and only about 2 coats (5 min apart). Let dry for days in the shed. If you can smell paint, it's not done off gassing and you shouldn't spray (or finish with hardware) until you don't smell it. My pepto pink bass has a very hard durable thin skin on her now. She's not super glossy but she looks and feels great enough. Good luck (but most importantly, ditch the Rustoleum clear coat and do Minwax).

19. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    One coat, what do ya think IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0611.JPG

Now this is just gonna sit and cure out till this weekend. Need to get a can of clear to top coat it. That is by far much better paint. Just wish they offered it in more colors.

20. nitro

nitro Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    It's got some nice metal flake in it. Wish it would show up better in the pics. Once it's all done, I'll get some nice pics in the sunlight. If it ever quits raining.

Kenneth Mountain and DaveDrums like this.