NUGD

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by nitro, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    without seeing the back - all I could tell is that your missing springs - can't tell if it's a top loader without the back pic i sure do like projects - old projects

nitro likes this.
  2. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    No sir, a top loader she is. No idea how they ever played it as the saddle springs were on the backside of the bridge.

I can't tell if the finish is all that is cracked . I'm afraid to pull the neck because the screws are so rusted. Don't want to disturb them till I've got a new set to replace them with.

IMG_0326.JPG

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    IMG_0325.JPG

4. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    The springs are there just on the wrong side. Lol.

It's a top loader, no idea how it was ever played that way. The grub screws are rusted into the saddles. All the bridge and pg and control plate screws were rusted into the body! Never seen one in this condition. Kinda pisses me off.

The finish is cracked at the neck pocket but I don't want to pull the neck till I've got new screws.

It's weird for me. I kinda feel like it deserves better. So I'm gonna restore it. I don't care to much for the relic look.

Just not sure what the best method is to remove the old plastic paint without hurting the wood. Oh and by the way, she is solid under the pg. funny thing is , just like the pg being bright white on the backside, I figured the paint under there would look different . But it's just like the rest of the body.

IMG_0325.JPG

5. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I have never seen the springs on the wrong side - lol I glad your bringing her back - if you want some parts links - hit us up !

nitro likes this.
  6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Great find. Chewy fits

nitro likes this.
  7. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    I'm probably just dreaming , but if the body is one piece, I'd love to do it as a blue burst. I think that would look good and still remain true to this ones roots. So to speak.

As far as electronics, everything will be new. Probably gonna keep the speed knobs. No clue why those are on their. But they'll stay just the same.

I do want to replace the bridge assembly and control plate. Not sure about a pick guard as of yet. If I can get the kind of finish I'm looking for, then I may just omit it all together.

And , of course , the pickups I'll get from ken rose.
    First things first, I need to get a heat gun. At least then I'll know what I'm actually dealing with.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to keep you, Posted.

willhowl and 5ofeight like this.
  8. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
  9. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
  10. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Well alright , finally got some time to strip down poor old chewy. Here she is in all her naked glory.

The crack in the finish did turn out to be in the body too.

But , once I get her all filled an sanded , I'll hit it with compressed air and clean all the dust off. Then I'll know more about what I'm dealing with.

Not much of a craftsman , I'm assuming I can seal it with filler and hopefully that will stabilize it. Or , if anyone can give me a better plan of attack here, would I be better off using some type of epoxy?

And I have no idea why the pic of the back looks green in the middle in the picture. It looks just like the front to the eye. I think it may be shadow.

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  11. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    I've decided to let my lovely missus choose the look. So , it looks like it'll be sunset yellow, lightly oversprayed with a pearlescent clear, followed by several coats of clear lacquer. Then an aged pearloid pg and all new gear. I've decide to go with a set of rose pickups and a 4 way switch set up.

I've bought a maple on maple cv tele neck that'll be here later this week. It looked really nice and comes complete with the classic slotted hole tuners.

Hopefully, if I don't screw this up, lol, old chewy will be a real looker once I'm done.

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I love the pics. Let us know what you did about filling in the crack.

Kenneth Mountain and nitro like this.
  13. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Nice job on stripping the body. That looks like paulownia wood. These usually have pretty nice grain and would look cool in a transparent finish too.

Kenneth Mountain and nitro like this.
  14. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I got a Stagemaster that the seller's flying squirrel gnawed the headstock so she added these stones to cover it up. I made the Rocky sticker because of the flying squirrel thing.....o_O

[​IMG]

15. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    love rocky, and the stones on the purple? well not really my thing, but it works on this one don't it. that's cool man. I was going to retain the "chewy" neck, but then I found a real nice cv neck with tuners , so that changed my mind right there. Of course it wont be a true cv, but I don't care . I want it to look nice . My first attempt at making something nice out of what I'd consider junk. My total investment to this point is only about $140. guitar n case, neck, heat gun, and paint. still got a long way to go before I get anywhere near what even a used cv would cost me.

Now , I know as much as some folks covet the relic look, I probably could have just left it the way it was. But I want a really nice looking tele for my collection. And ,as the saying goes, you always appreciate something more if you make, or in this case, re-make it. thanks

16. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Anybody round here know of a place to get hardware from that's nice but won't break the bank? Like new screws , neck bolts and plate, jack plate, control plate. You know, basically everything except the electronics

17. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    DC9ECA20-667A-40E4-85CA-45A00E407CC6.JPG IMG_0449.JPG
    Well it's been a little while, I wish I could retire so I could spend more time on this. But here's "chewy" now.

I'd love to see what kind of finish everyone would like to see this done in.

Not for nothin, got my own plans , I'm just curious what direction the rest of you may go with this.

Thanks as always for your input. And who knows, I may just like one of y'alls idea better than my own.

I will say this, I've looked at a lot of guitars lately.

18. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Did you source all your parts yet ?

19. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Sounds like your wife has the color scheme planned. If that is no longer the case, if it was me, I'd do something transparent to save that nice grain on front and rear. If you are still going with the yellow, I'd personally do it with Rustoleum if you're going to rattle-can it. It goes on thick, takes a while to dry fully, and after curing, can be wet sanded to a beautiful deep finish. Even without clear coat, it can be very glossy if you are willing to sand through the steps. Here is one I did that way. I did not clear coat this one, it would have been deeper with that, but I wanted more of a vintage look. There are Rose T-90 Freedom pickups, btw.

2051-01-11 06.43.57-11 (2).jpg

20. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    That looks really good M7. Yeah, That is the brand I was going with. In Sunset yellow.