NPD EHX Oceans 11

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by so1om, Jun 11, 2018.

1. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have received the new EHX Oceans 11 Reverb pedal and I have to tell you. I am duly impressed and I couldn’t be more pleased. A few of you may have seen a few posts I have done over the last 6-8 months looking for the next level reverb -more than spring/hall/plate. I wanted shimmer, some delay, reverse, something different and more.

Originally the top contender, which I still would like to try out, but seemed too much for me in price and features was the Mooer Ocean Machine. At $300+, that held me off to check out others. Among others that were recommended were the TC Hall of Fame 2 and the Polaris. I tried the new Fender Marine Layer and was a bit underwhelmed with it being nothing really new. It was when I was trying the Fender that I tried the EHX Canyon. Though that is a delay, I was really liking what it did offer that I hadn’t found at my price point -$150-$175. I had nixed the Boss RV-6 early on because I have a few Boss pedals, I like them, they’re solid but I didn’t want everything to be Boss and lulling myself into the same old thing.

Needless to say when the Oceans 11 hit the market a week or two ago, I was intrigued. The Canyon was high on the list, but this was an actual reverb over delay. +1. The price was a mere $145 give or take. +1 again. After seeing their demo video, wow. + a whole lot. I took advantage of eBay’s 20% off coupon to have it delivered for $119! I got it from Steve and his eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/citymusicannex I have no affiliation, but hey.. we all could use a good source for gear.

Monday (original delivery date) came early on Saturday morning. The family was ready to head out for the afternoon and I had about 25 minutes to idle. I tend to get anxious when we have to be somewhere so this was a good diversion.

Simple plug in -direct into a SF Vibro Champ. The pedal is made to the good standards that all of the EHX offerings have been the last few years, no worries there. I skipped the Hall and Plate reverbs at first and tried the spring -there it was, instantly the surf drip. I’d have to do a comparison between it and the FRV-1, but this was spot on anyway. A quick double tap of the switch and it imitates a kick of a spring reverb unit.

On to Echo. Wow. Cool. It’s a digital delay that’s easy to control from a tight rockabilly repeat to a long and falling away to the distant. Mod? A nice reverb with hit of chorus or another with a hint of flange. Quickly on to shimmer and instant -I wasn’t even touching the knobs, but was already having a LOT of pleasing sounds that could only get better if I bothered to turn the knobs. There was another reverb with 3 types of Trems. There are 11 different selections and some of those have up to 3 modifications -and some more with secondary settings. I haven’t even begun to explore those!

So one may ask how good of a quality are the sounds because it’s starting to become one of those “all in one” pedals that just do a lot of things just ok, nothing great. In this case, it does a lot of things and all very well. Keep in mind it’s a reverb. For example, it’s not meant to do chorus or replace a chorus pedal. It simply has a setting where there is an underlying chorus effect that enhances the reverb. It’s the slight difference there as you wouldn’t be buying it for chorus.

The one drawback is I cannot switch between various settings on the fly as easily as I would like. Let’s say I’m strumming a tight reggae repeat of bop-bop and I want to solo with a surf drip. I’d have to reach to the pedal (even if it’s on a stand) and dial to Spring, then possibly turn the dwell/tone/mix to get the drip. So while it’s got killer sounds, this is where it separates itself from the all in one pedals but also “limits” itself. There are some programmable sounds that can be stored -again I haven’t gotten to them.

This pedal packs a lot of punch for sure. For the creative types that like tones/textures/something more than just reverb, this is one to definitely check out before decide.

Here are some links:

https://www.ehx.com/blog/introducing-the-oceans-11-reverb

https://youtu.be/AkQCetlEUSg?list=PLEC3AB80E574643C9

I don’t really have the means, time, script or anything to post clips, but I’ll try and answer any Qs you may have…

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed review.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I feel like I added nothing! But the keys are it doesn't sound like a cheesy all-in-one and it can't necessarily be switched between types easily. I think?

4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    When I viewed the video you initially posted Jan was listening and was truly wowed. Right off she said "I'm getting one for you for Father's Day."

Just this morning she repeated that intent. So yeah, your posting catch my eye and any attached clips my ear.

-don

dbrian66 and so1om like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I played with it for a couple hours yesterday. I though a herd of people were going to show up and start doing yoga. all the ambient space and chiming out.

I'm looking to add in my FRV-1 pedal, the looper and maybe the tremolo pedal. That, all into a looper. Not sure of the order. Also the California.

I also get a hang up between the SF Vibro Champ (has trem) or the 25r, (has reverb) Neither have both.

6. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    There's a saying, "if it's too good to be true..."

Maybe this qualifies, but between the Paypal guaranty, Ebay's own and the 100% positive rating on Ebay (since 2006) I figures "what the..."

Capture.JPG

That's $41.18 in dollars of the US variety.

Be fun to see if this pans out.

-don

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Who's the seller?

8. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

3903angela

I'm hoping the seller didn't make a typo -- intending it to read EUR 135. They've so far sold 7 while I've been watching.

How would ebay deal with that?

Ebay has confirmed the sale as has PayPal -- instructing them to ship.

It'll be interesting to see this unfold. I have no desire to see a person screwed by an error. So... ????

-don

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    my nephew jumped on it to. Worst they can do is cancel if it's a type

dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  10. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Meister

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Don, you're not going to have $42 of yours for a bit, that seller has no seller feedback

11. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Meister

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    They'll post a b/s tracking number and hold your $ up...I hope I'm wrong. I really want one of these, but my b/s meter is reading way high.

12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    a few were from the seller.

13. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That's possible. I'd not have provided a card # but PayPal is safe.

Frankly I think the most likely thing is an error. And if so I'd not try to insist on a small seller being screwed. "Treat others as you'd wish to be treated."

But we'll see. ;)

-don

14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Let me know if you get a shipped date, Don. My nephew ordered one as well.

What's interesting is I saw a lot of US eBay sellers listing them with a back-ordered status -almost as if they were taking pre-orders. I think the "official" release was for the end of June, I had read somewhere. But I also know they've likely shipped a few out to all the bigger vendors to have them generate the buzz and become familiar with it. So I was sorta surprised I didn't get a message saying "will be shipped June 30" and that it was actually out for delivery.

Keep us posted.

15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Whelp my nephew had his money returned. $40 too good to be true, but at least there was no hassle.

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup. Me too.

Apparently the seller's site was hacked but the hacker for whatever reason did not or could not access Paypal payments. (Hate to think of what anyone who used a card is going through.)

Ebay did in the email regarding this that the transaction had ebay protection. But still, if one's card data was put into the hands of a miscreant there'd be a bunch of other steps needed.

-don

17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Okay, I don't really need another reverb but.....I'm in.

Kenneth Mountain, so1om and dbrian66 like this.
  18. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If anyone becomes aware of a sale deal on this I hope they'll post it right away!