NPD American sound

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by Redwhiteandblues, May 15, 2018.

1. Redwhiteandblues

Redwhiteandblues Squier-Meister

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    just got the American sound by Joyo. Holy fender tones. Exactly what I’ve been wanting. Adjusted my egnater to a flat eq on the USA setting as well and man this thing sounds just like a fender amp at hardly any cost. The egnater tweaker is a great amp to just couldn’t get it bright enough and this pedal does exactly that. Perfect break up sound to nice and clear.
    70810D51-E97B-4A7C-9A97-A590ACBE386B.jpeg
    72C3AB64-52E9-428B-B9AC-43A69FBA692F.jpeg

2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes, there have been several favorable reviews here about the Sound, including some from me.

Btw, I see you have a couple of pedals I'm sort of interested in, the Pure Sky and the HOF 2 (but more probably the HOF or the Arena as I can get them used for some good prices)

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Love them both the pure sky is very transparent I’m using that to boost the American sound. And the hall of fame 2 has some killer reverb settings really insane stuff. The new shimmer effect on the HOF2 is my favorite setting if I’m doing some ambient soundscapey type stuff if not I go from room or plate for my main reverb

jackdragbean and so1om like this.
  4. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Meister

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I have the Amoon version of the American Sound pedal and I love what it does for my sound.

Redwhiteandblues and dbrian66 like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup! Aren't these amazing.

Here's a hint for anyone with a fairly neutral amp who'd like to own a collection of amps. Buy this whole set.

This is my set-up -- running into a Silverface Twin Reverb (as well as my new Wangs Mini-5)...

Pedal Rack.jpg

Why run an American Sound into a Fender you might ask. Simple: The Twin Reverb especially, but really many if not most Fender amps, just can't reach anywhere near power amp cooking range at less than true gig volumes.

Gain controls are a partial fix for this -- but in truth they only get the pre-amp section cooking, and some of the best tones come from a cooking power stage.

These pedals get that sound amazingly well, but they do something else: They each mimic a range of models, not just a single one. The American sound will do tweed as well as blond and blackface. The Bristish Sound (Marshall) will do Plexi as well as an 800. The AcTone will do AC15 as well as AC30 Top Boost - and blend their qualities as well.

These are analog pedals. So yes they are really faking it. But sound is sound, and as @Redwhiteandblues tells us, the sound of these is plenty real enough.

-don

jackdragbean, so1om and dbrian66 like this.
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I want to do the same thing as @duceditor did. I have the ACtone already and love it. I run it into the clean channel of my Valveking. The Valveking is not a great amp but has a nice clean channel for running pedals into and the ACtone sounds great through it. I am at least going to get the British sound and possibly the other two as well.

duceditor likes this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have sung the praises of the Joyo California after a solid recommendation from @squierTony.

I have Fender amps, I have a little Vox, I have the Sound City 50+ and various in betweens all of those. The missing one was the Mesa-style amp. It's an amazing little pedal.

One thing I have kept in mind is NOT to use it as an overdrive or something it's not. I treat it as an amp and everything is quite apparent. I also downloaded the manual of the Tech 21 versions. Cheating a bit? Well it gave me a little more of a guide than the Joyo index card had.

squierTony, dbrian66 and jackdragbean like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Have you mastered the California and all your Everclear and Offspring covers? :D

dbrian66 and jackdragbean like this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    No. Frankly that is the one "pedal" I've not touched since that first try out.

Not so much a lack of interest, as a relative lack of same. There are just so many other sweet tonal possibilities, and related gear, that are calling out to me much louder.

The Sweet Baby continues to draw my heart. That pure, simple, creamy tone. I'll never tire of it.

Then there are all the possibilities with the Mini 5. I've just started to experiment with that and again, the heart is in tow.

And shortly I will be getting the Surfboad 4. Only time will tell where that is gonna grab me and how hard.

The other truth, which I expect will make little sense to most people here (or anyplace else), is that I have little interest in learning other people's songs or sounds. No, not even great ones.

To me its like my imaging. All my professional life I did other's images. Their books. Their journal articles. The challenge for a few was involving, but most were just someone else's projects. Money in the bank. Nothing more.

Now is my time in life. Every day I awaken with my eyes open to new visual possibilities. "Now voyager sail forth. Seek and find."

I'm the same with most things. The words in my own head are more than enough. And that is true also for music.

Hey, I told you it wouldn't make sense. ;) It never did even to my parents and teachers when I was a kid (and I've been that way since about birth).

TG Jan understands! :D

-don

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    dbrian66 likes this.
  10. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    I own them all except the ACTone but it's on my list. Absolutely love them. Great advice here too. Use them like amps..... and each one is multiple amps. Running these through a really clean tube amp makes them that much better in my opinion. Everyone should own them if they're looking to diversify their tone without breaking the bank

dbrian66, so1om and duceditor like this.
  11. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Anyone tried them through the effects loop?

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've tried mine (the American Sound) just about everywhere. The positioning will also help determine what type of sound you want to get. For me, I found it sounds best at the beginning of my loop ... but others maintain it should be at the end of the loop. I've also tried it straight into my amp but this positioning seems to work the best for me.

so1om and Redwhiteandblues like this.
  13. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    I’ve found these settings to work well with my setup. Perfect breakup nice highs. Of course just level to what is appropriate. My amp is set flat everything at noon. Low gain very clean.
    7185160F-272A-4313-B4F6-0A8A6A920AAB.jpeg

so1om likes this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    As soIom said, you can download the manual of the Tech 21 version because it has some suggested settings. There is also a Youtube demo/review and the guy posted his suggested settings. My settings are fairly similar. I do find the Voice setting to be an amazing pedal. I have mine set at about 9 p.m. (or a.m.) to get somewhat of a Blackface Bassman sound.

so1om likes this.
  15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    As always, try everything because that's how you find your tones and sound. I personally have never had one iota of luck with anything in any effects loop. Others swear by them for their time-based effects.

I seem to place mine Guitar>DD-3 Digital Delay> PN-2 Tremolo> FRV-1 reverb>California>Vibro Champ/25r..et. al. then layer in the onboard reverb or trem if the amp has those. But it seems the California always is the last going into the amp. I picture the physical amp as a speaker cab and the California has to be the last because it is the "amp".

jackdragbean likes this.
  16. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Same I just have reverb and delay on the loop

so1om likes this.
  17. Redwhiteandblues

Mar 28, 2018
    North idaho
    Ya I saw that. The settings I have now are from a guy doing a little wing demo it’s a nice Hendrix type setting I’d say.

so1om likes this.
  18. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Over here in Europe these pedals are Harley Benton branded, but should otherwise be identical.

The American is the one pedal I take with me if I have to play directly into a soundboard. It just sounds like Fender all way through. Put a booster pedal in front of it - great leads are possible. I paid 30 EUR new, but they are out there for much less.

Of the four of them as shown in Don’s picture I kept the British as well, just in case a gig requires a Marshall sound.

The AC Tone and Californian I bought as well, played for a while and then sold them. They are great pedals if you like Vox and Mesa Boogie Amps, but they just did not do it for me sonically.

All in all, the Harley Benton/Jo-Jo series of pedals is great to try different tones at a budget.

The American is a keeper. It’s the one pedal that is always in the guitar case.

19. Unit11

Unit11 Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Providence, RI
    Sweet guitar and pedal collection! That whole thing rocks.

Redwhiteandblues likes this.
  20. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    Exactly!!!

so1om and Redwhiteandblues like this.