NPBAPD: Chumley Pedal Board, and 3 new pedals.

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by LarsN, Jun 1, 2019.

1. LarsN

LarsN Squier Talker

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    With the suggestion from Roccobagadonuts about putting an 80s era Ibanez CP9 in front of my tube screamer I went ahead and followed his advice. The combination really does sound fantastic together and a lot of the time I just leave the CP9 turned on now even without the TS9

While I was at it I ordered a fancy new pedal board from Chumley's Pedal Boards (via Reverb.) a mini TS9 because I also have a little Orange Micro Dark I'd like to use the board with and that doesn't have a built-in TS9. And an Electro-Harmonix Silencer.

The TS9, and EHX Silencer were both more or less impulse purchases but ultimately it works out pretty well. The Revv G4 pedal when the gain is turned up makes enough of a hiss while the guitar is fully muted to make me interested in at least trying a noise gate. The hidden side effect was the way the EHX pedal has it's own effects loop made wiring my board far less annoying than I think it could have been. At this point, I don't know that there are any effects I'm missing for the kinds of music I'd like to play. If I need anything more I think the next step might just be a Helix LT or Headrush effects board.

Here's a little "Old" vs "New" photo comparison.

Old:
    [​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]

2. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Very Nice! Your setup looks great.

Kenneth Mountain and Flying Z like this.
  3. LarsN

LarsN Squier Talker

May 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure what I'm missing sound wise really. I guess a Flanger and/or Phaser... And maybe some kind of fuzz. I'm not too worried about those. I wouldn't have the Chorus if it wasn't given to me with the Ibanez amp stack.

4. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    That's a good thing that ya seem to like it with ur amp without the TS9 as well. I was just thinkin that ur amp has 6 knobs. 3 of them dedicated to tubescreamer... And that a CP9 would make half the knobs on ur amp sound a whole lot better... Im guessin ur digging how ur notes now hang in the air and sustain forever with that combination. And how the tubescreamer seems like its been slurpin down steroids as well...

The mini TS9 seems like it was a good idea if u also have the Orange Micro head to swap back and and forth amp wise. Not only does it give you the TS9/CP9 combination with that amp as well but it gives you the option to stack 2 tubescreamers with the Ibanez amp. Lots of folks over the years have done that including people that made a lot of money playing like SRV and Trey Anastasio(Phish/Oysterhead)...

Kenneth Mountain and rorygman like this.
  5. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    It looks like the chorus pedal would now be the key to making the next upgrade to your rig... Seems like ya just improved it a ton with the addition of the CP9, mini TS9 and EHX Silencer if that pedal "fixed" the high gain crunch pedal you like to use... If you actually use chorus then the obvious move would be to get a pedal that mops the floor with the one that ya have. What ya have now is a low end digital chorus. If ya actually use chorus and replaced it with a high end analog chorus... Huge upgrade...

Or if ya don't really use chorus that often and only have it cause ya got it with the amp then the obvious upgrade would be to replace it with something ya do use... And something that isn't low end and digital... Something bada$$… Seems like at some point you might want to test out the blues driver and mojo drive you have with the new setup...

A blues driver can make a tubescreamer sound rather sweet when their stacked. But if ya like stacking both tubescreamers instead... And have no need for the blues driver or mojo drive. Throw them up on local Clist along with the digital chorus and turn them into a pedal that mops the floor with all 3... One that makes another big upgrade to the rig... Seems like u could make the next upgrade for free with a little bit of effort and willingness to sell...

Not sure what u would need an expensive digital fx board for when ur only a couple moves away from having the kitchen sink to throw at an amp... Not when ur packin the real thing...

Kenneth Mountain and rorygman like this.
  6. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    a looper or fuzz would be a couple of considerations

ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Or a sweet analog phase or flange like he was talkin bout. Or if he actually uses Chorus how bout this for an option. Only 90 bucks... And the CH1 he has seems to sell for like 50 or 60 heh... That would be quite the bit of upgrade for 30 bucks or whatever... Cheap low end digital chorus vs 2 Maxon built analog chorus circuits in a single pedal that you can fuse together or run solo and etc... Quite the bit of difference for 30 or 40 bucks ...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=323823255209

Zzzzz… 2 is always better then 1... s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    ElRey67 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Yea, im still using one as well. Always thought id be content with the CS9 and its single chorus circuit but then one day you pointed out a BC9 that was goin for like 80 or 90 bucks mint. Couldn't help but swoop it up and ditch the CS9. Which I got like 80 bucks for so the BC9 didn't end up costin anything....

10. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier Talker

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Extremely impressive setups you have! You still playing rocksmith at all? Or just classes and making your own music?

Kenneth Mountain and ElRey67 like this.
  11. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I encourage you to try out some compressor pedals. I used to think a compressor was just like a nice-to-have with not much to offer but evening out high's and low's. But when I finally used one, it became a must have and is usually turned on in my chain. It acts as a bit of a boost and sustainer as well, and helps adjust pick attack dynamics as well. I love my Dyna Comp. Simple, but effective.
    Also, I love fuzz....i actually have 4 (a Big Muff, an Ultimate Octave, a fuzz setting on my Dark Side, and the EHX Cocked Wah with fuzz). But one fuzz pedal should suffice. My arsenal just happens to have fuzz as an extra on 3 of my pedals.

Flying Z and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice