No more Chinese Classic Vibe models

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Feb 28, 2019.

1. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just read a thread on TDPRI where the poster says that he's been informed by Fender's customer service that all current MIC CV models, such as the three different CV Tele models, and the two CV Strat models (and any other current Chinese made CV models) are no longer being produced, and current stock is all that's going to be available. And, all those models will be replaced in late spring/early summer by new Indonesian made versions with probable/possible different woods and other specs.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    This has been discussed already for 1-2 months since NAMM, I knew it was coming.....

3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It had been discussed/assumed, but never confirmed by Fender until now.

4. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Officially nothing was told about the 50s/60s CV models... At least now there is some information...

Just hope they would also offer a 60's tele with some nice typically 60s colours too.... (I hope that mentioning British Racing Green here once again might convince Fender to order such a series... :twisted:)

5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I thought I watched a Youtube video where Brandon from Fender at the NAMM show said the CVs were put out to pasture. But I've watched several videos and I can't find the one I thought I saw. IIRC it was a just a quick comment during an demo for some of the new models.

But somebody can call Fender customer service and hear it from a source. that's how I found out some time ago about the end of the Squier '51 and I reported it here.

6. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    So let me see what is gonna or is happening... No more made in Indo Deluxe Strats or VM Strats along with the Chinese CVs!? Wow, I wonder what they are planning for replacements?Fender replaced the MIM Standard with the Player and they are getting good reviews. One can only hope the Squiers will follow suit! Because even if they don't improve, you can bet the prices will be going up!

7. Wondering if Fender wants out of China (and into Indonesia) in light of the trade tensions? Indonesia has been making some fantastic guitars for Fender and others too. A logical choice I suppose. :)
    Cheers, Barrie.

nicod98, theflow, Dave M and 3 others like this.
  8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I agree. In fact you can note that the price of the CV Mustang is now $349.99 when it had been $299.99. Yes I understand that price seemed very low and I was surprised it hadn't already risen.

However, the new CV Jags and JMs are ... for the moment ... keeping their $399.99 street price. But the pivotal phrase is "for the moment." They may rise later in the year and may even rise when they are available for sale.

I understand Squier's logic: "Hey, these are after all Classic Vibe models now, not the cheaper Vintage Modified models, and they should (or will) be priced accordingly."

Maybe the prices won't rise. Maybe I will lose 20 pounds by Sunday.

9. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    They are discontinuing the Deluxe and VMs in Indo. Maybe the CVs are gonna replace them to cut down on models being offered!?

10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    We already knew this - the VM's have been tweaked and now are CV's......different pickups, fret size, body woods, etc.....the old China CV's are now gone.....

11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    WE already knew from NAMM that the VM's were being phased out in favor of the new Indonesian CV models, but now we know that the same is true for current CV models.

theflow likes this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Then it might be a good idea to hurry up if you want a Sherwood Green strat for example.

SquierTap and theflow like this.
  13. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    There are some pictures of the new models available on some websites. Links to the Thomann have already been posted on this forum at Namm's time.

14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Those were already discontinued like a year ago.....

theflow and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  15. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Don't get too excited, there are no actual technical specifications or details, it's all gobbledygook pitchman sales-speak, "... pickups designed in house by our famous... (has to think for a second)... pickup experts. So, the pickups on these are world-class... (has to think again)... phenomenal, sound great..."

squierbilly and theflow like this.
  16. I missed out on one right around that time. The thing looked new but I can't recall the price. I was interested so it must've been reasonable.
    Cheers, Barrie.

17. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    They're still listed on the Fender US site but I haven't seen any retailers with stock in a while....

18. I'm not surprised … the "Sherwood Green" color was a limited time offering correct?
    Cheers, Barrie.

19. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    zZounds still has BSB and VB CV Teles in stock.

20. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    They never have any CV Strats at our local GC :(

Taurus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice