No-hole pup covers...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by jamesgpobog, Apr 9, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Meister

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Not all single coil pups have flush slugs. When the slugs are proud, does that preclude the use of no-hole covers? I'd like to blackout my black no name strat, no chrome in view, but I also don't want to get into a major exercise. Up to a point, I've found that black shelf paper works pretty good, but not with major slug height...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    No hole pickup covers are about the same thickness of plastic as the ones with holes, generally. In my experience, that's about 1/16th of an inch. Just lower the pups and see how they sound or see if you have that much clearance above the height where they are. If one or both is good, then you'll be good.

Kenneth Mountain and jamesgpobog like this.
  3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I use these a lot - poles even or offset - they self level to the highest pole - your height will change a little that's all !

DSC03964.JPG black.jpg DSC03970.JPG

radiotech, Wound_Up, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My answer these days is, "Why not?". Give it a try. I used to want everything perfect.

Now I prefer to give it a try and see what happens.

I would prefer a little more contrast ... but heck, looks pretty good. :)

IMG_20200409_165609.jpg

5. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    What kind of pickups are they? If they're alnico you could probably push the higher poles down to level them.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I have two alnico's on the Neck and Middle of the Squier II. The cover sits on the highest pole. It works. :)

7. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    No idea. No-name Glarry-type strat.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    -r3- and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

before I found different colors online - I use to paint them ? they scratch easy though !

10. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I'm gonna try painting clear ones inside only, just like old slot car bodies...

drewcp, -r3-, MrYeats and 2 others like this.
  11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    They do RC car bodies like that these days, too. I remember like 15 years ago my neighbor had a clear body for his Traxxas truck so they must have applied that to rc cars quite a while back.

jamesgpobog likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Nope. No. Don't do that. Sometimes you can get away with doing that without damage, but the magnets are in direct contact with the coil wire if the pickup has traditional construction. The wire is only 42 gauge and can break easily when the magnets are moved.

It's a different situation with pickups that have a plastic coil form (older Fender American Standard and Tex Mex, Guitar Madness 62z, etc.) because the wire doesn't touch the magnets. I typically push down Tex Mex magnets flush with the cover.

cool gouhl likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

The magnets don't need to be even or flush. As long as the screws are long enough and the body route is deep enough, you can put no-hole covers on them.

jamesgpobog likes this.
  14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    You can order no hole AlNiCo pickups from China very cheap on Ebay. Not immediate, but not a whole lot more than just covers. They may well not be the best AlNiCo, like Rose but they will be slightly better than the ceramicsthe Glarry probably came with.

Or either @Eddie or I could send you a set of NC/YN pups, which are flat and outstanding ceramic pickups.

Eddie and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice