No Adjustment Holes Pickguard Installation

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Uncle Joe, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I wouldn't use the inserts - the body is too thin ? if you place the old PG on the body - you can mark (approx) where the screws have to be ? I would use springs or tubing and go right into the body - I have done this several times - I have seen foam under the pickup also ? looking good so far ?

strat_strummer and so1om like this.
  2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    But the cavity is too deep. The adjustment screws line up over the depressions in the cavity. There's nothing to grab onto until you get to the bottom of the two oval holes. The body is pretty thin down there. I'd be afraid to drill any deeper for fear of drilling right though the back of the body.

I do have springs and tubing and I'll see which works better over a foam strip.

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  3. Kenneth Mountain

I didn't drill any holes - I self tapped into the cavity : screw all the way through the pickup, then a spring into the cavity ?

I thought you were going to use the inserts ? not enough meat ? I think ?

4. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    A word to the wise on these sparkle finishes. They apply the flake and it's bumpy/gritty. then it's "encased" in a thick clear and gives it that fabulous appearance. The downside is that when the guitar takes a hit, the clear lifts off of the flake. My blue sparkle took a bump from a folding card table that tipped over. So there's a broken out area, it peels off like an eggshell.

point being is be mindful drilling your pilot holes. you don't want pressure from the drill tip to raise the clear coat on the backside of the body.

daan, Kenneth Mountain and Uncle Joe like this.
  5. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Yes, that's perfect. Unfortunately the Bullet's cavity is deeper still, where the plug holes are, thus my desire to fill before drill.

Kenneth Mountain and drewcp like this.
  7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Good tip. Thanks.

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and so1om like this.
  8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I think I understand what you're saying now. Proceed without inserts. I guess that's the way most factory produced Fenders are done. Tell you the truth I've never looked under the hood of my 80's CIJ 62 RI Telecaster (and we've never had the neck off so I may never know what exact year it was made). Only luthier Mark Simon touches my Fender and Martin. He really is great. A plug for Mark. If you are within a three hour drive he's worth it: https://www.marksimonguitars.com/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. Kenneth Mountain

I like the inserts - I just didn't think you have enough depth ?

Uncle Joe likes this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Measure the available depth 17 times and drill once! I think you can try woodscrews without the inserts first. as the hole for the insert is larger, you can always drill larger later.

Uncle Joe and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm still thinking after measuring. It's not as if I'm going to need to adjust the pickup height after I have it set to my liking. I would like to try the nut/sleeves though. You guys have made some good points about thin body/sparkle susceptible to fracturing and then I got to thinking about the strength of Balsa wood. The fret board is Indian Laurelwood but I'm not sure what the body is. It's light as a feather. I don't want it to crack.

I like my front tele pickup about 4mm below the fretboard, given like action. No problem with the action on this Bullet. I think I need a shorter pickup screw. It came with 3/4". Plus I have 1". I need 1/2" 6-32. Looks like I'll sink another couple of dollars into this project and visit Lowe's again tomorrow. In the meantime, since the shielding in the cavities of this guitar was so good, I shielded the new guard from a butt roll of slit foil I've had for decades. I guess one side of the copper foil is more reflective than the other and I used both sides. The conductivity won't differ.

Pickguard shielding_20190718.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  12. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Well it worked. I don't have a drill press so I asked a guy in our machine shop to please make me a template so I could attempt to make perpendicular drill holes by hand. That helped. Plus the concept of using a stubby little 6-32 screw to drive in the brass inserts. Trouble is I used CA adhesive, as I read online, and the second insert got stuck to the stubby machine screw. Oops. Luckily I hand a backup that I put in upside-down using a screwdriver. Worked fine. Measured many times and drilled once. It was a lot of effort for a pickguard change, but now I can change the pickups if I really love the guitar's playability. While I had the strings off I filed the fret ends a bit more and dressed the board again. New 10-46s too. Plays good, sounds good, intonates spot-on and it looks pretty good too, I think...

Squier Bullet finished_20190719.jpg

13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Here are the inserts in the cavity. It's the one on the left that gave me trouble, but it still worked like a charm:

Squier Bullet inserts installed_.jpg

14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Here's what it looked like before I closed it up. I used rubber bushings instead of springs and put some foam under the pickup for added stability:

Squier Bullet pickup installed_201907.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and txflood like this.
  15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks for the help and support on this little project. It was reassuring and I appreciate it. Hopefully these images help somebody else too.

16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I just received some inexpensive pickups for this guitar. During the interim I read that it is a good idea to grind the pickup screws near the head by inserting each screw into a drill and filing them down with a file edge. Makes sense to me. This will allow for easier adjustment. Like it. I'll try it when I install the hotter pickups.

17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Meister

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm going to open this baby up again. I bumped this thread because I think these great guitars should have blackguards.

Viking and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice