NGDx4+ CV70, J5, Jim Root, Cont Tele, + changes and a PRS

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by snivlem, Nov 11, 2019.

1. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    I haven't posted any NGDs in a while, but that does not mean there are not more Squiers in my collection. I've had a lot of guitars come and go, and there is only one that I regret letting go-my John5 tele. I stumbled on a deal for a brand new one , and it will be my new mod project, I'm not a fan of the J5 setup or pups, but the bones are to die for. I've got some a Seymour '59 set I might put in, but I'm not sure yet. I'll definitely so a super switch 5-way and just put a kill button in the old 3-way hole. I got the Jim Root off of GC used site, it was covered in magic marker, so I got it cheap. Acetone worked it's magic, and WOW the Jim Root is my new FAVORITE SQUIER! Nothing about it really appealed to me until it hit my hands. The pickups are the biggest surprise, they sound great. The neck is great, and the heel and body contours are great. CV quality craftsmanship....If anyone has one they aren't into-I'll be a buyer. The contemporary tele I put in some EMGs from a forum member. I'm giving the guitar time to grow on me, but we're just not bonding. The CV70 strat-WOW!
    20191111_113859.jpg
    I got the first CV70 on this forum in white a few months back, and it was a fine guitar but nothing spectacular- the neck was probably the biggest disappointment. Not bad, just nothing great, and the laurel was a little ugly. This HSS with the maple neck...oh my, these are not VM necks. They are rolled, and finished well, and are chunkier than any CV50 or CV60 I've ever felt. Not chunky, just chunkier, and it's just enough change to be noticed and appreciated. I swapped the guard to mint, but the stock pups are just dandy.
    20191111_113921.jpg
    I also did some switcherooing on my Contemporary strat collection, my main black guitar now has my favorite pickguard a SD 59/57 strat/Pearly Gates setup with a neck on switch, the white one has CV60 pickups, and the Blue one has stock neck/middle with a Gibson 500t on the bridge.
    20191111_113844.jpg
    And I got a PRS because I always wanted to have one. Now I do. It had a gross bridge/trem that I rescued and I put in a Tusq nut and saddles. Nice guitar.
    20191111_113834.jpg
    20191015_211825.jpg

2. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Staying busy..
    HNGD×four.. :)
    tele's are adding up.. let me know when your ready to unload one of the HH's..
    The Jim Root is interesting.. :D

3. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    Congrats!
    The Jim Root is my fav also. The rosewood board is lovely on mine, and the contours are comfy.
    It just feels so nice to play.
    It’s on my permanent keeper list for sure. :D

Is yours the older model with rosewood? Or the newer one with Indian laurel?

Enjoy!

snivlem and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    It is an older one with rosewood, it's got just enough wear on it to make it feel like a fit! I do really love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice