NGD - White SE Stratocaster CXS!!

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by cliffenstein, Oct 10, 2018.

1. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    Just went up on GC used gear. I called the store, had them hold the guitar and answer questions. I then went and asked @Guitarmageddon a few more questions and decided to make the purchase.

I'm guessing the serial # means it was made in 2008. Someone with more knowledge, feel free to confirm or correct.

Photos were manipulated by GC employees...the salesman said he realizes the neck looks like previous owner had an amber tint added to it, but in reality it's just the regular lighter looking wood.

Salesman held it up against one of the new Fender Player Strats they had and said the Squier neck was a bit bigger. He also said the SE was a bit lighter...in the 7 to 8 lbs range (which is perfect for me).

I'm having it shipped to a friend of mine who works on guitars. He's going to properly amber the neck and headstock. I also may decide to have him paint the body tropical turquoise, but I'll wait till he sees it in person before I make the final decision on that.

I'll swap out the bridge to a modern MIM Standard narrow spaced trem assembly. I'll replace the nut with whatever my local tech here where I live tells me to use. I'd love to swap out the tuners for some locking ones, but I may keep these. Finally, I will be getting rid of the pearloid pickguard and trem cavity cover and replacing with parchment, cream or mint green ones (going the 60's style route with a single ply one for the back that I have here and a 3 ply two knob hole one that I'll get from Warmoth so the volume knob can move down one position).

I think I'm going to put a Seymour Duncan Red Devil in the bridge position, too.

Stock photos as follows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    mb doug, ElRey67, drittal and 11 others like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Nice! I don't think the headstock or neck needs darkening, these naturally age to an amber on their own and yours is already more than halfway there! Yes, it's a 2008 @cliffenstein

would also advise against repainting, these white ones are the most rare SE's and white is one of if not the most popular Strat colors out there for bodies....

3. Nice! These don't come up very often, if fact, some folks have never seen one in their area for sale. I've passed on two recently but I do have one modded but I kept the stock appearance.

Cheers and enjoy, Barrie. ;)

4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I've never seen a white one for sale yet. I don't check GC used everyday though. I scour the local sites everyday all day.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    I'm strongly thinking I will keep white, too...we shall see. The salesman told me that the amber look in the photos is due to photoshop...he says it's not like that in real life. Perhaps I'll have him take a quick photo with his cell phone and text it to me to see.

6. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Meister

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I grabbed another one a few weeks ago...just because. Nice neck, frets, and fretboard + sweet white body = SOLD! As stated, the white rhino doesn't come out of the closet often.
    Your mods sound great. The stock tuners are usually adequate on SEs. If you decide to paint her you'll have one of the most modified SEs ever. Enjoy.

7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

Pristine example of the breed ! ! ! Congrats !

Stratlover84, techowiz and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Congrats!
    White strat- always classic

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
  10. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    @Guitarmageddon - this has an agathis body, correct? What can you tell me about what I should expect? Softer wood like basswood or is it more akin to alder?

11. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Agathis...almost like Mahogany.....not very soft....

12. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    oh...killer! I'm gonna love this.

I've decided to keep the white, too.

13. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    HNGD! Congrats on a great looking Strat.

14. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    @Guitarmageddon ... here's a photo that the salesman just sent me directly from his phone with no photo manipulation. It's under the bright lights of GC (notice how crazy bright the white looks). I'm thinking that perhaps this won't need ambering after all. Are the necks satin or gloss?

Attached Files:

15. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Very very light gloss.....not thick and sticky.....

16. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I'm on it dudes ! ! ! I had three guitars to ship this week ! !

Note: new box procured today ! ! ! ! it won't be long now ! ! ! ! If I take under two weeks I'm golden ? right ? lol

I can hear you guys sweating all the way up here in NY ! ! !

Mister Noonan and snivlem like this.
  17. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

edit - I realized I posted this in the wrong thread ! doh

18. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    Haha...I read that post and was all, “huh?”

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    about the mystery box - I'm glad your keeping her white ! It's pristine ! If it was dinged up I would have said go for it ! Congrats again !

DSC03163.JPG

Ken

mb doug likes this.
  20. cliffenstein

Jul 22, 2017
    Sandston, VA
    Woah! You went to town on yours! How’s it sound with the new pickups and wiring? Agathis dull things out or is it gloriously full speed ahead?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.