NGD - Sunburst Affinity Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Atlen, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    This arrived in the mail today. A 2015 Affinity Strat, no scratches or chips, even has the protective plastic on the pickguard and tremolo cover. Came with Fender softbag, Fender strap, Fender Frontman 10G amp, Fender clip-on tuner and some string/fret polish.
    Tuned it and plugged it in and everything works well.
    20190911_122216[1].jpg
    20190911_122226[1].jpg 20190911_122232[1].jpg 20190911_122237[1].jpg 20190911_122250[1].jpg

2. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    Very nice HNGD!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  3. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Nice looking Affinity! Glad nygitardag! (Forgive me if that sounds wrong, I'm still learning!)

JurnyWannaBe and duggerh like this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats. Play the hell out of it.

BlueSquirrel and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway

Almost. Glad is normally used to describe a mood and god (good) is used to describe something. Rest is good

I will, but I feel it needs better pickups... I also have a 2019 Bullet strat and like the sound from that one better.... Has a bit more "bite" to them. I have some pickups from my Epi LP Studio so was thinking it could be fun to convert to HH, but then it won't be a "proper" stratocaster anymore. Another option is to get a set of really nice pickups and make it as good a strat as it can be.
    First of all it needs a setup and some playing to sort out wich direction to go with it.

mofojar likes this.
  6. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks! I was almost thinking "gratulerer med nygitardagen" might work also.

If you've already got a SSS Strat maybe an HH Strat might be good as a contrast. The tones you'll get would be slightly different and it could be a different sonic 'brush' in your palette. You could also go HSS with one of the Epi pickups. Somebody here the other day bought a guitar that was HSH with two LP style chrome covered humbuckers and a Tele neck pickup in the bridge, also with the chrome cover. It looked really cool!

Davis Sharp and so1om like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Looking good!

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    HNGD !

Nice looking Affinity !

Lowering the pickups on those is always worth a try for some better tones ;)

9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Great looking Affinity, congrats.

10. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Plus one on playing with pickup height for best tones.

Nice looking Affinity but then I would say that as I have the Chinese maple cap version...

[​IMG]

11. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    Go HSH, perfectly acceptable!

Attached Files:

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  12. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Thanks, it is in very good condition, as new and paid less than half of new price for everything including shipping so I am very pleased. Wife asked if I had bought a new guitar when she saw it and didn't believe me when I said it was used. She even comented the plastic on the pickguard, had to show her the serial :)

Thanks for the tip. Set it up to how I like it and lowered the pickups too sounded better, but used headphones so hard to tell the difference from first time I plugged it in. Have not changed the strings yet, suspect the original strings are still on it as there is some rust on the highest strings. Will have a go at it this evening and put on a black pickguard I bought for the Bullet while I'm at it.

Nice guitar. Don't see maple neck on the used market in my country that often, but the rosewood on my guitar looks and feels good though.

@mofojar & @Big George I ordered a HH pickguard, 3-way switch, pots and caps off ebay at the total of ~$7 so could be a fun experiment. Easy to switch back if I change my mind.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    mofojar and so1om like this.
  13. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Like the look of the neck and headstock of this Affinity. It has some dark grains in it so its not just a slab of beige wood. Not sure if you can see it properly in the pictures.
    Bullet strat, MIM Tele and the Affinity to the right:
    20190912_065019[1].jpg

zammie, Viking, Oldguitarguy and 5 others like this.
  14. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Can't wait to see how it turns out!

15. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Spent some time with it yesterday, replaced strings (Ernie Ball 10's), sanded the neck and put on a black pickguard. Really like the feel and looks of it.
    I sanded the neck with 400, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper and it is now silky smooth. I recomend everybody to do the same! I will go over my Bullet with finer sandpaper too (have only used 400 grit on that one). Thinking about doing the same on my MIM Teel even though it has laquered neck.
    I also put on the guitar strap from my MIM Tele as I didn't like the one that came with the guitar. Ordered a new red one off the same type for the CAR Tele as I think that colour will look good on that one.

20190912_224138[1].jpg
    20190912_224218[1].jpg

16. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
  17. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    And this is what it looks like under the hood:
    20190912_211101[1].jpg

brians, duggerh, Viking and 2 others like this.
  18. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    SSS routing?

My MIC has a swimming pool I think. A snowman at least.

19. Atlen

Atlen Squier Talker

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    HSH

20. zammie

zammie Squier Talker

Apr 12, 2013
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Why not make a HSS if you have a spare humbucker lying around? Best config in my book. Or try some new wiring scheme to get even more sounds out of it; also good reason to upgrade the pots and switches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice