NGD - Squier Standard Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Robbmonster, Feb 12, 2020.

1. BlueTele

BlueTele Squier Talker

Aug 29, 2019
    Canton, Georgia
    edit: By the way, this is a 2019 version. Indian Laurel fretboard isn't as disastrous as I feared, but it will get an oil first chance I get[/QUOTE]

Love that color combination.
    Once you oil it up it'so gonna look even better!!

2. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Squier-Nut

I'm a big fan of vintage style bridges on Teles, but don't even bother on these, its not worth the hassle.

With topload Affinities, a three saddle improves things.

With an MIM Standard, its a pretty straight swap.

With the Squier Standards everything just doesn't line up, its a string through and besides, it's nice to have a six saddle Tele anyway.

My Squier Standard is staying with the six saddle bridge. I recommend keeping it as it is, too

3. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Bit of an update... Adjusting the action as we speak - a temporary fix until I get her set up.

Nice to see the 'big brother' version of mine, solid looking guitar.

Re: the pickguard-mounted neck pickup... definitely not my preference. I was probably going to change pickguard anyway, most likely for a 1-ply black or mint green. But it's not a high priority right now.

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    HNGD! My '50's CV Tele is vintage white too, and I LOVE it... It does have the old school 3 barrel saddle bridge, though, at least, lol...

Your's sure does look sweet! And I actually like how the saddles look too!

Hey, if you're adjusting action, re-aligning the neck, and thinkin of a new nut, why not just save a few bucks and do the set up yourself? Just nervous about adjusting the truss rod? A LOT of guys are... Not judging, just curious...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. B Stock

B Stock Squier Talker

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    CONGRATULATIONS!

6. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I can do basic setups (action, intonation, pickup adjustments, fretboard oil), but I prefer not to do any fret polishing, and if I decide to swap pots and cap I WILL NOT do soldering. My experiences in the past have not been pleasant.

I miss my CV 50's so badly. Loved that guitar. I put a Twisted Tele pickup in the neck (a pickup that is now becoming rare and which I can no longer justify buying) and just loved it. I want to get a CV 50's bridge pickup for this guitar, or at least something similar.

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Man, do I FEEL ya on that! The first couple times I soldered I was scared to death... Then I got this silly sense of "Oh, this is easy!" Which was COMPLETELY wrong, and I had a couple dicey solder jobs, and then over time, I got less scared, and it was better... But I still don't particularly enjoy that aspect... I guess I'm LESS afraid... Same thing with fret work... A few months ago I ordered a fret filing "kit" off Amazon, and I've fixed a few sharp fret ends, but I'm kinda scared to do a full on fret level...

But I SEVERELY suffer from what @Eddie refers to as "paralysis by analysis"... If I sit and THINK about something, it freaks me out... If a sink were to break at my house, my first thought would be to call a plumber, whereas my wife's first thought would be to grab a wrench... She just doesn't have that "I can't do THAT" thing... It DOES occasionally get her into trouble, lol, but 90% of the time, she DOES fix it... So, I'm really tryin to be more like that... Less afraid to dive in and try new things... Hey, ya never know till ya try...

8. B Stock

B Stock Squier Talker

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    :cool:
    respectfully ,why the change? Tradition? Do they sound better, stay intonated more consistently, look cooler? I really don't understand the appeal.

Kenneth Mountain and Brocephus like this.
  9. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    Hngd. Looks great.

10. stressdoubt

stressdoubt Squier Talker

Jul 31, 2017
    Isleworth
  11. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

The sound I'm not so sure about, but I have found the old barrel saddles to be less given to rattle and loosening of screws. As for the rest, it's mostly for me a mixture of aesthetics and tradition. My opinion is the Telecaster is basically the perfect electrified guitar, and has been ever since it was first introduced (except for the muddy neck pickups of bygone eras). I try to have my Tele's be as close in look and setup to the original blueprint.

But as others have pointed out, a bridge swap will be too much trouble so I'll leave it, and won't lose any sleep over the fact it's there :)

12. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    I had the same guitar new from MF last year. First one had a nasty looking stain in the front of the body, returned it. The second had loose components and “extra” parts inside the control cavity!! Neck had a wavy look to it with a couple of high spots so back it went. Personally I was not too thrilled with the sound of the pickups either. I wanted to like this guitar but never went back for a third one.
    As far as oiling the Indian laurel fretboard, I’m not sure it takes well to oil as rosewood, might come out blotchy looking.

B Stock and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  13. Spino

Spino Squier-Meister

Apr 19, 2016
    Germany
    Here my standard black with Esquire mod

Black_esquire#2.jpg

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    My laurel fretboard looked and felt VERY dry when I received it, so after cleaning it and polishing the frets I oiled it with 3-in-1. The oil did no harm.

15. B Stock

B Stock Squier Talker

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    sorry to hear about that, did you buy it online?
    I being paranoid and conspiratorial of mind , well trust isn't my strongest suit.
    I suspect that "we the less than upright and customer oriented in our commitment to fine customer service policies just might send the less than b-stock out the door with the good stuff.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

16. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    Yes bought it online direct from MF or Sweetwater, cant remember which one but customer service is good on both of these online stores, never had any isuues getting a refund or exchange from any of these.

17. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    They are like 500 here in canadaland too and our min wage isnt even close to $20 per hr u guys get

18. Gip111

Gip111 Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    nj
    ...Yet.
    This is another topic but oil raises the grain, softens the wood, attracts dirt etc especially on unfinished wood.

19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Are you saying that no unfinished fretboard should ever be oiled, or just Indian laurel?

20. NL Shotokan

NL Shotokan Squier Talker

Dec 20, 2019
    Conception bay south
    Man, that is a sharp looking guitar!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice