NGD - Squier Standard Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Robbmonster, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

No pics as yet. I'm too tired and lazy.

Today I received my 2019 Squier Standard Telecaster. Vintage Blonde. For some reason I thought the finish would be a solid cream, but nope, translucent, it is.

The guitar is 'used', but pristine. Got it from ebay, and the seller even shipped it in the OG box (for free!). I bought the guitar for AUD$350. They usually retail for AUD$500-ish brand new. Yup, we overpay massively here.

First impressions...

Well, the guitar is in pristine condition. Doesn't seem to have had a pro setup. A but of buzz and scratchy frets here and there. The Indian Laurel fretboard seems dry. I assume it's ok to oil them...?

The pickups need to be lowered. The guitar at this stage is a bit loud and bit breaky for my liking. My amp had gain up for quiet humbuckers so I adjusted that down and was still getting breakup. Lower the pickups and raise the sweetness.

Already thinking mods. One day might get a black pickguard and a more 'vintage-style' bridge. Pickups seem ok, but when did Tele pickups lose their muddiness? Kinda miss it.

After the first hour, I think I have a keeper, and a bargain, to boot. Pics tomorrow

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Sounds like your happy. Can’t wait to see it!

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I really like the pickups on the standards, they sound like a well broken-in set of ‘70’s Fenders to my ear.

4. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Congrats! Too lazy for pics? But the pics are everything here :D

5. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
  6. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I have a 2017 Std, Tele and I really like it. Plays good, sounds good and was at a good price. I've kept it for 3 years and will probably keep it a while longer. :)

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    HNTD!!

Those are great guitars!

You are not going to have an easy time swapping out that bridge for a vintage style bridge - its not going to "drop in". I ended up swapping out the entire body on my standard Tele when I wanted a Vintage 3-saddle bridge

8. Brocephus

Brocephus Squier-Meister

Jul 3, 2017
    Georgia,CSA
    I don't believe (standard PU configuration) teles have ever been known for "muddiness", they're typically more on the thin/clear/bright side, which is largely why they became the go-to guitar for country music, decades ago.

9. El cheapo

El cheapo Squier Talker

Feb 6, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    No real need to mod anything on these guitars. Get it set up right and play the snot out of it!

10. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Yup. I recently bought an '09 standard, assuming that it would need some upgrades. Nope. After a set-up it's fine as-is. And the pickups sound great. ;)

OP, will we get to see some pics?

009.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  11. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    A vintage bridge won't work on it unless you don't mind exposing the holes below it. Even then I think it throws the intonation off. Guy here in town I know tried to do the same thing and ended up just putting the modern bridge back on it, if I'm remembering correctly.

12. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Here she is. Ignore the discoloured patch. Little bit of dust on the camera lens.

Shame about the bridge replacement, but no big deal. I just prefer the old style ones.

I am having a bit of trouble setting the pickup heights, I like to set them flush with the body then work up, but the screws seem to be too short. I'll keep tinkering.

Love the neck. I have owned a couple of Standards in the past and remember the necks being chunky, kinda uncomfortable. This one is a great shape, and reminds me of my beloved Affinity Strat.

Still digging this thing, just need to dial in the sound...
    20200213_160812.jpg 20200213_160845.jpg 20200213_160715.jpg 20200213_160745.jpg 20200213_160758.jpg

13. Looks great. :) What year is that one?
    I'd loosen the necks screws a smidge and move that neck towards the left (Low E side) and retighten. That should re-align the near cliff hanger high E string.
    You could take some tension off the strings before hand.

Cheers, Barrie.

14. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Thanks for the advice, Barrie! It seems the neck has been loosened at some point (screw sharpness), and I was thinking a new nut might be in order. But if a simple neck adjustment will do the job...

Still trying to dial in a sound, but the bridge pickup isn't cooperating. There are also buzz issues, so I might raise the action until such a time as I can get a proper setup done.

edit: By the way, this is a 2019 version. Indian Laurel fretboard isn't as disastrous as I feared, but it will get an oil first chance I get

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  16. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    That's a beauty!

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  17. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Great color! I noticed that the neck pickup is mounted on the pickguard. Mine is mounted on the body, like most Teles, requiring removing the pickguard to make adjustments. I wonder if yours came that way or if someone modified it.

Kenneth Mountain and SquierTap like this.
  18. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Happy NGD! You have the younger version of mine!

upload_2020-2-13_10-48-17.png

19. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    What year is yours TimTheViking? I see your neck p'up is pickguard mounted too.

20. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    That's a beauty!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice