NGD...Squier Affinity Duo Sonic...

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by D_Rad, Jul 25, 2014.

1. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    ....here it is mocked up with new guard, switches and control plate. Control plate made from a piece of aluminum had around. Punch list- few more PG screw holes across curve and one center, waiting on tuners to arrive, wire it up!! Between now and then will finish buffing body out.
    ...very close... very excited!!!

Attached Files:

2. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Awesome job sir!!! I like your style, it looks like it will come out looking real good.

3. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I know this is an old thread, but how did it all turn out in the end?

4. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl Squier-Meister

Apr 29, 2015
    Bradley, Illinois
    FYI, This is similar to most pickups made single coil or not, using steel slugs instead of magnets is cheaper to make. Probably easier to tailor also as you can swap out the magnet if you want. Fender USA, MIM, and MIJ all have magnet slugs AFAIK. My affinity lefty Strat came with bar magnet pups like yours...
    I have other guitars with similar pups that sound fine,
    like an 90's Aria with SSH Samsung pups in it.
    Carl.

5. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Now THAT has me thinking about my next project............. ;)

6. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM

.... hey everyone...
    ...was looking around the 'ol www came across this post...oops, I tangented off and spaced on updating.
    .... actually have'nt finished it yet :eek:... life and other projects sent this one to the backseat for a bit.... good news is I procured some GFS Brighton Rocks and a friend is interested in it... "I'm putting a C&W band together and looking for a new sound....what do you have?"...so it's in the que to get wired, hopefully this week!.... will share when complete.

....put a site together for the projects going on...
    www.sonicfieldguitars.com

Peace,
    Dan

7. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    ....thanks Carl!.... each time open up a guitar there is something to learn... same PU construction in a Kent Polaris recently put back together....terrific sounding pup!

8. GuitarlCarl

Apr 29, 2015
    Bradley, Illinois
    NP. The slugs don't have to be magnets (although the mojo is in the grade of alnico IMHO) 99 percent of the humbuckers out there are made that way...
    Carl.

9. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM

Attached Files:

10. GuitarlCarl

Apr 29, 2015
    Bradley, Illinois
    That's a cool color combo... is that available stock? I've only seen duo's in cream with gold guards, don't know much about them.
    Carl.

11. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey Carl..... thanks...this is a Affinity Duo from 1998....printed on neck heel... think these came in Black and red, both with white guards. Last reissue, Classic Vibe, was in cream and gold. Based the new guard on Duo II/Mustang but put switches on lower bout as it felt better ergonomically.... Assembled body yesterday need to dress the frets and it will be string up time!!

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  12. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Never had the pleasure of playing an Affinity Duo (and I doubt I ever will), but those CV's were sweet.

Sadly, 'were'.

I guess it had to make way for more strats.

13. Stratatattat

Stratatattat Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2010
    US
    Weren't the affinity models short scale?

14. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Dec 23, 2009
    Ark
    Correct sir. They were pretty cool. Not long before or maybe at the same time??? They made a MIM version.

15. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
  16. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I thought ALL Duo-Sonics were short scale.

17. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    I think they are. The original Fenders in the fifties were available with 22.5 or 24 inch scale necks. The Squier versions are also short scale......the Affinities from Asia (and I believe the MIM versions) were 22.7 inch scale, and the Classic Vibes are 24" scale.

My modded MIC Affinity Duosonic is the 22.7 inch version. My CV was a 24" scale maple neck, but has since been upgraded to a rosewood 71 Musicmaster 24" neck.

[​IMG]

mb doug and Kickstand like this.
  18. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Dr. Squier

Apr 14, 2015
    San Pedro, Ca.
    That looks Killer...Very nice work..:cool:

19. Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle Squier Talker

Jan 21, 2016
    Chicago
    COOOOOL!!!! These are rad, been on the lookout for a while for a duo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice