NGD...Squier Affinity Duo Sonic...

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by D_Rad, Jul 25, 2014.

1. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    ....I'm a Squier owner again!....after having a Jagmaster for a while ....modding it....selling it...one of those urges made me bid on this. Been wanting to try out one of these shorty scales for some time. A '97 that was red and white, now flat black and grey.

....bottom red one is a mock-up of mod outcome.... sort of a "Red Special".

The mods....oh yes, the mods.
    -First going to attempt removing black paint back to red. If that doesn't fly
    strip to bare wood and refin in trans red (actually prefer).
    -add Mustang/Duo II style guard and control plate.
    -Mustang/Duo II wiring.
    -GFS Brighton Rock pickups.

Acquiring this has now posed several Q's....
    -will a strong solvent take off spray paint leaving red poly(?) finish in tact?
    -Standard Mustang guard fit?...or need to be custom?
    -What kind of wood is the body made from?....can't find this info anywhere!?!

....any info would be helpful.

Peace.
    Dan

Attached Files:

rbh32 likes this.
  2. Hermie

Hermie Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2013
    Orygun
    Yay, gratz on your new axe!

Enjoy and perhaps some sound samples?

3. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Dr. Squier

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    These are fun to mod!

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
    rbh32 likes this.
  4. mudbug51

mudbug51 Squier-Nut

Feb 9, 2014
    the squire Duo-Sonic is one of my favorite guitars!! I like the 24 inch scale and the smaller body. mine has a maple fretboard too. it's one of the chine made ones from 4 or 5 years back. the only mod I have made to it is changing the tuners to chrome buttons, didn't care for the plastic ones. the stock pups I kept, I modded a couple a few years back and just didn't care for the results. surf's better stock. imho of course.
    cool axe dude!!:cool:

5. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    Yeah, lots of fun modding my Affinity Duosonic too. This one's got a built-in overdrive pedal with rechargeable lithium ion battery, thumbwheel volume and tone pots, Seymour Duncan Hotrails pickup, three-way Tele switch for series, parallel, and single coil modes, locking Sperzel tuners and Straploks. I love the 22.7" scale neck. Hope you enjoy your guitar, Dan.

[​IMG]

wes0121 likes this.
  6. rompo

rompo Dr. Squier

Jan 24, 2010
    ARKANSAS
    Holy smokes that is amazing!

7. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Very sweet, did you do the work yourself? Very cool looking, retro!

8. spellcaster

spellcaster Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2010
    Duncan, BC Canada
    Thanks. Yeah, I bought the guitar to part it out, not noticing that it had a headstock-adjusting truss rod, and ended up keeping it together to mod. I always wanted to try a couple of things, such as building a pedal into a guitar, and also the thumbwheel controls, so it became a test-kitchen for offbeat ideas. I reshaped the end of the body too, another first, along with the flush-mounted straplocks. It's a string-through now, with a Delisle aluminum ferrule bar flushed into the back.

9. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    ....spellcaster.... Luthier-Atlanta.... those are some inspiring transformations! Guitar arrived yesterday! Pretty much as expected.... funky paint job and in need of a re-set. The flat black paint job almost wooed me, very rat-rod, though the flat grey guard felt icky on the hand while strumming. The general set up was quite bad so any sound bite will have to wait ....sorry, Hermie. Overall the aesthetics are groovey. We all know the electronics are a weak link in these... although the pickups didn't seem too bad.... clear and bright (treblely)...have to wait for the re-do to really hear 'em...and tuners, well, yeah. Worst aspects is the thin pickguard so that is the first to go.... started playing with the Duo Sonic II idea, but instead of the slider switched above, going to try them on the lower bout. For me, it's a better ergonomic layout and won't have to change the body rout. .... needs a bit more tailoring (switch alignment, contour) ....What'cha think?

Attached Files:

10. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If the red is intact underneath, your best chance of stripping off the black without messing up the red is by using this:
    http://www.amazon.com/SOY-Gel-Paint-Urethane-Remover-Quart/dp/B0002Z11MY

It's "green" stuff. It doesn't smell awful and it won't take years off your life. You can do it inside the house, even. I can't guarantee it'll leave you the red finish intact to your liking, but that rattle-can black will bubble up and come right off if you use this stuff.

11. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks Wizzer! .... Man-of- action stepped in last night and suited up with respirator, chem gloves and lacquer thinner took it outside and stripped it :D:eek: will use friendlier method next time.... slosh of thinner and a plastic scraper, final wipe-down... 30 mins later cleanish. Started wet sanding the sanding marks left from the previous refinish. Think the reclaimed finish is what I'm looking for...satin surface with some swirl ...aka light relic... tried some buffing compound behind bridge to see where it's at... haven't even gone thru the clear coat yet... looks promising!

Attached Files:

12. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    Dude, well on your way to having a gem!

13. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    This is such an awesome project. Can't wait to see more progress.

subscribed!

14. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    After wetsanding, I use this stuff in order...Stage 1, then 2, then 3:
    http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8379414/00757/car_care/wash_wax/waxes_polishes

I use one of those buffing wheels that attached to a high speed drill. If you want the light relic look, I'd stop at Stage 2. Just a thought.

I'm glad everything is working out. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished guitar!

15. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    ....will do Wizzer, thanks for the info....pick some up tomorrow.

16. rompo

rompo Dr. Squier

Jan 24, 2010
    ARKANSAS
    Looking great!!!

17. Luthier-Atlanta

Jul 19, 2012
    Marietta, Ga.
    I am digging the PG idea, any progress pic's?

18. D_Rad

D_Rad Squier Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, NM
    Luthier-Atlanta.... some progress... paper PG pattern ready to turn into real one just waiting on parts order- 3ply black PG material, switches, wire, pots...maybe Thurs/Fri have new guard and control plate made. Remembered had a set of compensated bridge saddles, put them on and got some new knobs... see how it all shakes out. Going to use the stock pickups for now and embrace their lo-fi character until can swing new ones. BTW, check out the pups in this- magnets are applied to bottom, thought the pole pieces where the mags in this style of pup, haven't seen this elsewhere?!?...any enlightenment?

Attached Files:

19. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    very cool.

This is going to turn out really nice.

20. Juicyjones

Juicyjones Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2014
    Seattle
    oh those are awesome, all of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice