NGD - Sparkle-Poo Mustang

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mrriggs, Oct 8, 2018.

1. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    I had the neck from my Bullet Mustang kicking around so I though it would be a good idea to pick up a body to stick it on. This one seemed like a good idea at the time. Seller said it was a 90's MIJ Mustang but neglected to mention the heinous repaint. It looks a hundred times better in pictures than it does in person. The paint has a poo-ish hue that the camera doesn't capture. Not to mention the overall finish just screams amateur rattle-can job.

[​IMG]

I was planning to flip it but now I seriously doubt anybody would buy this thing if they saw it in person. I may be stuck with it for a while.

I am curious if this is, in fact, a MIJ body. It is a "slab" body and thicker than the Bullet. There are brass plates in the bottom of the pickup and switch cutouts. This came with a new pickguard but the pickup holes on the new pickguard are 1/8" farther apart than what's on there now, the pickups won't fit in the body. The pickguard that's on it now was butchered so I'd like to find a new one with the correct narrow pickup spacing.

theflow, mb doug, jagmaster and 4 others like this.
  2. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    I purchased replacement Mustang pickguards for two of mine from Amazon. Fit just fine. If the pups you have are grey bottom ones you have an MIJ reissue Mustang, a very good guitar. The plates in the body are supposed to be there.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Any markings in neck pocket? any photos of body without pickguard and neck?

theflow and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    The neck pocket was full of paint. I scraped it out to get the neck to sit down flat. Can see what looks like some big gray letters but can't make out what they are. There is a small round blue stamp. Sorry, didn't get any pics when I had it apart.

Have this picture of the pickguardless body from the seller. Yeah, looked red to me too...

[​IMG]

theflow likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    That looks like ply/laminate or MDF to me....when did the seller claim it was from? Doesn't look like Fender Japan routing

duggerh likes this.
  6. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Do you have any examples of a Fender Japan routing? I've been Googling it and can't see any difference between the routing of the MIJ reissues and the original MIA. The only ones that look different are the Squiers.

7. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    It's small details like the curves and shapes of the corners....search google images for 'fender japan mustang body' you will see yours isn't like it....

8. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Pulled it apart again and scraped out the cavities to get a better look. Turns out the "plywood" texture was a thick layer of dust under the thick layer of paint. It's like they sanded the surfaces then didn't bother blowing out the cavities before painting it. Made it easy to scrape out, most of it came off in big flaky chunks.

[​IMG]

It's definitely not plywood. There is a grain. The wood is really yellow, almost green. I don't know much about woods, can anyone identify it?

When I was scraping I'd get spots of shiny metallic red almost like this was actually painted red but yellowed to this hideous copper-turd color over time. Although it seems odd that the covered areas would have yellowed as much as the exposed surfaces. Unless, it spent much of it's life disassembled. All the hardware that came with this thing is new so that is a possibility.

9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    “You can’t polish a turd. But you CAN roll it in glitter!”
    And I’d vote for it being Basswood. Or MAYBE poplar... that can be kinda greenish or yellow-cream...

10. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    The brass shield plates must be the key to identifying this body. I haven't been able to turn up many pictures of the shields but from what I've seen they look more like the ones in original, 60's Mustangs than the ones in the Japanese reissues. Thick bare copper wires and fat solder blobs. The Japanese ones I've seen have thinner insulated wires and much tidier solder jobs.

[​IMG]

The way the control cavity shield is held in is very distinctive. Metal triangles are pounded into the body then soldered to the plate.

[​IMG]

I haven't found any pictures with the triangles but did see a 1964 Mustang where the big solder blobs on the ends of the plate were visible in the background.

11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Granted, I'm a complete noob when it comes to finishes, but is it possible that the heinous rattle-can paint job WAS originally red sparkle and whatever in the heck they used to clear coat it turned yellow over time or had amber-ing agents in it? Long shot, but red and yellow make dook-bomb brown sometimes, lol... Might explain why the insides looked red, too...

Robb likes this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    That's better! looks like poplar which a lot of Fender Japan Mustang bodies were....also Mexico....

theflow likes this.
  13. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Wood with a greenish tinge sounds like poplar. Now that you got it all apart, try some Meguiar's fine cut cleaner (or similar) and buff the finish out. There maybe a gem in there yet.

theflow likes this.
  14. jagmaster

jagmaster Squier-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    New Zealand
    I actually love the colour, reminds of the Johnny Marr KO jag..

15. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Happy ending to this story. Since it was already torn down, I put the bare body on Reverb and ended up selling it for more that what I had into the complete guitar.

theflow likes this.