NGD - Screaming TV-Yellow Zonker!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pat V., Nov 21, 2016.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Epiphone Special I with P90s in Worn TV Yellow

Thanks to Don (duceditor) and everyone else that recommended this guitar so highly.

This guitar arrived last week but I am just now back home to check it out and just like most everyone here has been saying, I agree that these guitars are surprisingly good and not just for the money. They are flat out great guitars. I bought it on a whim at a time when I didn’t really need another inexpensive guitar but I had been looking at them and reading about them here and finally succumbed to the $99.00 with free shipping offer from MF. I’m very glad that I did.

But first... the Bonfire -
    To be clear, if you had to make a decision about this guitar after playing it for only 3 minutes fresh out of the box, it might feel perfectly reasonable to toss this guitar into a roaring bon-fire sparing the world from one more cheap guitar made offshore and sold to the masses because it’s shaped like something familiar… you know, one of those guitars whose price is simply too good to be true. But play on and things will improve greatly and you will instead be thinking about buying a good hard shell case for it.

Bonfire explained –

The fretboard, frets, strings and back of the neck have some odd funky feel to it that I can only assume is a byproduct of the guitar’s unique finish that out-gasses a weird residue while being stored in the box for a few months. Even the neck plate has this weirdness on it. It is hard to explain but it isn’t appealing in the least and someone who just picks it up when it’s in this state is more than likely to put it down and move on to something else. But play it good and hard for a while and all of the slow, sticky weirdness disappears and what remains is a wonderful, well dressed neck that is a joy to wrap your mitts around. I suggest that before you replace the strings (highly recommended...stock strings aren't good), play it as much as possible for a day or two using the stock strings to get the funk off of the neck, fretboard and frets. Then after everything is “cleaned up” put a fresh set of quality strings on it.

Neck and Fretboard –
    I love it all.

Bridge -
    The bridge is very basic but intonates extremely well and in my opinion doesn’t need to be changed.

Pickups -
    The P90s are extremely good and I doubt that I will ever consider changing them. It’s simply not necessary. They sound excellent.

Electronics –
    The guitar comes with full sized Alpha pots and I don't think they need to be upgraded.
    The switch is fine too and will only be changed if this one fails.

Tuners –
    The weak link on this guitar is the tuners. I am replacing them later today with a set that was recommended here by mdparent. Nothing fancy and only $15 shipped. If it holds tune the way I believe it will, I’ll leave them on and if they don’t, I have a set of 3x3 Klusons around here to put on.

Strings –
    I will be putting a set of D’Addario XL EPN110 Pure Nickel 10-45s on it tonight when I change the tuners but it’s quite possible that this guitar could be promoted to Pyramid Nickel Classics in the future.

Things I am changing –
    • I eliminated the Poker Chip. It looks all wrong to me.

• The location of the Volume knob and pickup selector switch location isn’t my favorite so I swapped them. I like this arrangement much better. Wiring length allows this change without any soldering but a little modification of the holes is necessary (but quick and easy).

• I am planning to put a black pickguard and knob-set on it but I used a cheap cream pickguard to try out to see how it would all work and I like it enough to leave it like this for a while and I will switch back and forth between the black and cream set. I’ll post pics of the black set soon.
    That’s it for now. Another fun & affordable guitar in the stable. Expectations far exceeded.

EPI WTVY Special I A.jpg
    EPI WTVY Special I B.jpg EPI WTVY Special I C.jpg EPI WTVY Special I D.jpg EPI WTVY Special I E.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Kind of vintage good looks, then again in not sure !!!
    Is this one solid wood or ply ?

Kenneth Mountain, Pat V. and Flyer91 like this.
  3. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    The specs say it's solid.

Epi Special 1 P90 Specs.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Flyer91 and grizmit like this.
  4. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    HNGD! Great review and your mods look great! I like the switch placement - your swap makes total sense.

Quick note on tuners, not sure which set you had in mind, but the ones I found on Amazon also had 9mm peg/ferrules which keep you from having to bore out the existing holes. Perfect drop in, you can even use the existing bushings. Just a tip, in case you're lazy like me... ;)

kenneth, Flyer91 and Pat V. like this.
  5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. I haven't even taken the tuners out of the package yet so I'll check them out soon.

grizmit likes this.
  6. grizmit

grizmit Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2015
    You're welcome! By the way, where did you find those pick guards? I've thought about adding a black one myself.

Caddy and Pat V. like this.
  7. Strato67

Strato67 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2013
    Texas
    Best playing neck out there...mine is one of favorite guitars to play...does jump blues and 50 style stuff well and can rock like a les Paul.....grab one if you can..these are the best bang for the buck going ..I swear by them.

nobucks, Caddy and Pat V. like this.
  8. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    St. Louis area
    I actually like the "cheap cream pickguard." Great guitar. Great thread. Enjoy!

9. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philly Area
    Maybe a cleaner could take the gunk off and just change the strings all at the same time, gunk for thought ... HNGD ! beauty axe :cool:

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Nice!

Quick & easy mods that make a big difference in looks, my fav!

11. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I like your mods. The pickguard idea I had was to locate the black one off a Epi Special GT but even emailing Epiphone themselves proved that I couldn't find one to save my life. Congrats!
    epiGT.jpg

squierbilly likes this.
  12. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    Happy NGD! I so want one of them now!!! :mad: :D

Caddy likes this.
  13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    HNGD! Great playing guitars. Fun times, enjoy it.

Caddy likes this.
  14. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Check out mLaval, PA for a pg. It may require a trim for proper fit for the Epi Special. Oh yeah.................I tossed a Benjamin for one of these also. DSCN0769.JPG DSCN0770.JPG

nobucks, OldGuitarPlayer and Brever like this.
  15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Hey Grizmit, I found them in my ever growing collection of guitar parts. It had a label on it and I'll check it tomorrow but I'm thinking it was an AllParts pickguard. It needed some trimming / dremel work for the bridge pick up and for the re-located switch.

nobucks and grizmit like this.
  16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    That looks identical to the one I used. As I just replied to Grizmit, it needed some trimming / dremel work for the bridge pick up and for the re-located switch. Super easy material to work with though.

17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Thanks everyone! It's hard to go wrong with a guitar priced like this. It's just plain easy and fun to play and it sounds great.
    I also worked on an inexpensive Tele today installing a set of Claymore pickups from Blake Wright (aka Horax on this forum) and that guitar is a contender too. They're probably my two least expensive guitars that I own but you sure can't tell by playing them.

nobucks, Caddy and kenneth like this.
  18. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    HNGD! I especially like the volume and tone knobs.

Pat V. likes this.
  19. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    If you search for "Les Paul Pickguard P90" or "Les Paul Pickguard Mini" on Ebay / Amazon etc... you'll find some candidates. The black one that I have is nearly identical to the cream one that I modded today but it has no label on it so I can't confirm that it's an Allparts guard. Any guard will have to be modified but the plastic they use is really easy to work with.