NGD - Partscaster

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by TomL, May 13, 2019.

1. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

4A0B3260-2589-4D5A-9617-1F073C84E285.jpeg 87629EAC-23B9-47A4-A740-D25FA80BD87C.jpeg 1D429DF1-C69F-4F62-9D38-7DF30CAC0E29.jpeg BFF6D35D-6E7E-40E8-9B67-2B3E44AF9362.jpeg So I decided to go for the partscaster that I posted about in the Gumtree thread yesterday.

I’ve been thinking about doing a Partscaster project for a couple of years. There’s a company in the UK called Northwest guitars that sells parts including bodies and necks, and I really fancied a Cherryburst/Sienna Sunburst body and a maple neck, which they sell for I think around £175 each.

But I saw this on Gumtree yesterday evening, on for £80. I asked the seller about it, but he didn’t know too much about it. He does guitars up himself and had taken it in as a part ex, but hadn’t really got round to doing anything with it.

I’m not sure what it is. I know Squiers, but I’m not as clued up on the spot table differences between various Fender style guitars. I’m ropey on spotting a Mexican from a US, and whilst I can often spot a Gibson or Epiphone from a Chinese counterfeit, I’m not sure I can do the same for Fender style guitars. The neck is branded as a USA Fender, but the bloke made it clear (as he had in the ad) that it isn’t. But he’s not sure what it, or the body is. It’s possible, they’re from a reputable company like Northwest guitars. It seems too cheap a price for it to be a Mexican or even a CV/VM or standard Squier (certainly with the body, have Squier done a body like that?, unless it’s been stripped back to the wood and someone’s done a very good refinish in cherryburst). Of course it could be a Chinese counterfeit too.

I thought it looked nice in the pics, and when I went to actually see it, it looked even better. The tortoiseshell scratch plate and black hardware on the cherryburst body look a lot better than the photos show. Still not my cup of tea though, so I’ll be changing them to standard hardware and a white or cream pickguard.

The tuners are branded Fenders, not sure if they’re aftermarket, Mexican, or counterfeit. They seem pretty good though, so aside from getting rid of the black ferrules (I have spares), I’ll be keeping them, for now at least. I didn’t notice the roller nut at first, it wouldn’t be my choice, but it seems fine, and the neck has been cut into to fit it, and I really like the neck, so I’m going to keep it, and try and overcome my prejudices.

I’ve not investigated or played it yet, as I’ve just got it this evening, and the playoffs are on right now.

But here’s some pics.

Attached Files:

daan, Robb, Davis Sharp and 6 others like this.
  2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I like the hardware mix of black and silver -as well as the rest! Nice work!

radiotech, Robb, SquierTap and 2 others like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-Nut

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    To me, looking at the decals, it looks like it started life as a blatant counterfeit. How much of the original fake is left could be hard to determine, but I've spent a lot of time researching knock-offs, and nothing that I'm seeing seems to be legit Fender or Squier.

4. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Well, as we already know and was openly expressed to you, the neck is not USA Fender. It might not even be a Fender product, but could be a bullet or older Affinity neck given the lack of a truss rod plug. I dont think I've ever seen a cherry burst Squier with a 6 point trem that wasnt an Indian made VM with the flame maple top...this one obviously doesnt have that top. I dont think you did bad for 80, but as far as what it is, I couldn't tell you. Maybe if you take the neck and pickguard off we'll find some identifying marks in the cavities.

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s sharp! Very unique and very cool!

Robb, SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Yeah, the decals don’t look right. It seems slightly blurry and outline seems too bold.
    The neck feels very good. It’s possible it’s a Squier neck with fake decals applied, or it’s from a company like Northwest guitars, again with fake decals, or it’s a decent counterfeit.

If the neck and body are from the same original guitar, the finish looks great and it’s generally well done, but there are a few blemishes I wouldn’t expect from the likes of Fender or Squier, even if it were a B stock. It’s been done well, but it’s not very professional. Of course it could be that the original paint has been taken off, it’s been taken back to the wood and refinished with decent amateur level results. I like it though.

7. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

I’m happy with the price (just to be clear, if you don’t know, it’s 80 pounds, not dollars. £80 = $103.69). I did try and get the price down, but he wasn’t budging, and to be fair, I was still prepared to pay it, because regardless of what it is, I’ve been after a body with that look for a while, and the quality is good enough. I don’t think the neck is a bullet. I know bullets, this feels very much like a CV or VM, but I don’t think it is, as they seem to have more colour to them.

I’m off work this week, so I’m going to have a bit of a tinker with it.

8. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Yeah, I knew pounds, still a good price. No plug in the truss rod hole says its not an upper end Squier neck (Standard, CV, VM), but other folks make nice necks too.

9. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD, plug and play! Let us know how she does.

10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'd play it and see what you you got.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

The headstock has been re shaped - by hand it looks - Still a looker for the quid ! ! I like it !

radiotech likes this.
  12. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

Ah yes! I’d completely overlooked the lack of a plug!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

C58F94BD-D975-4D5A-95E4-3FC0D403170B.jpeg F202816F-9905-4609-BD01-F3AA37177536.jpeg EF329642-99EC-4A1B-ACB1-A6EED5D1F9D0.jpeg A42ECCE2-E278-47B5-B1E5-013403D1F0A2.jpeg 1C18B137-1072-4CEC-BEC3-DF925C0ED2EF.jpeg So, I’ve taken it apart this morning.
    Whilst not a ‘swimming pool’ rout, it has been routed to allow humbuckers in all three positions, so it means I have tons of options!

I think someone’s tried to do something in the neck pocket, either that or it’s just sloppiness when manufactured (another indication it could be a counterfeit).

The bottom of the neck has no markings and looks a little sloppy (but it all fits together fine).

I might change the neck anyway. I think I’m going to struggle liking the roller bridge. So I may acquire another one, and sell this. I do like the tuners. I don’t think they’re genuine Fenders, but they’re reasonable, so I’ll probably keep them for now.

woolbrig and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Meister

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    That’s a Chinese fake - at least the neck. The decals and serial number looking like typical Aliexpress (and other sites) Fender fake. Also the tuners. A friend of mine had one. Truss rod worked just a few weeks, tuners were a nightmare (i played it).
    If you change the neck and sell this one, you should sand the Fender logo away ;)

15. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

I think you’re right, but I bought it as a project and aware that it may well be.

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Have fun with it, whatever its provenance is. I made my first partscaster recently and it feels good to have something that I can experiment on without regret.

Kenneth Mountain and TomL like this.
  17. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Yeah, nothing Fender/Squier there, but still not bad especially for the price. Enjoy it!

18. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    That body, with a pick guard the same color as the back plate, would look great. I really like the color of that! I’d say 80 for a decent playing guitar is real good, no matter what it actually is!

Kenneth Mountain and TomL like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice