NGD - My first Squier: a Vintage Modified 70s black strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by BlueSquirrel, Feb 2, 2019.

1. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    HNGD

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BlueSquirrel and theflow like this.
  2. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Congrats ! She's a beaut ! Dig that fret board too !:)

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  3. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Pat V. and BlueSquirrel like this.
  4. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks to you all!

Actually I'm not sure I understand everything they say on the Fender site (I'm not a Native speaker) and they didn't enclose any photos, so I'm going to read it again until I get it perfectly right (hopefully...).

Here is a new picture of the strings going over the pickups between the neck and the bridge.
    The low E, the A and the high E strings don't really cross the neck pickup in the middle (they are on the "inside" of the pickup but the strings are still quite close to the fretboard edges).
    The B and high E strings are still on the left side of the saddles (not perfectly centered).

Is this traditional on a strat?

PS Btw, if I make any mistake in English, please correct me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  5. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    HNGD....It is a beautiful guitar... I had one....
    From the factory they STILL use the WRONG string spacing at the bridge. It should be 2 1/16.
    That was My main problem with the guitar strings to close to the edge....you'll atleast need bridge saddles that have a 2/16 string spacing.....

6. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    So, should I change the bridge? Or just the saddles?

7. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks! You inspired me! :)

itsyourboyGru likes this.
  8. itsyourboyGru

itsyourboyGru Squier Talker

Jan 20, 2019
    Miami, Fl
    VMs are very nice

9. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Speed King, I've tried to take pictures at about the same angle as yours (or something similar).
    What do you think of the strings' alignment now, please? 20190204_220937.jpg 7 20190204_221006.jpg 20190204_221557.jpg 20190204_221547.jpg Thank you very much for your thoughts!

Pat V. and Taurus like this.
  10. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    WOW it looks beautiful and excellent that everyone’s advice helped you. Considering one of these myself too, hope you enjoy it!!!!

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  11. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks! It plays well but it could probably be improved by setting up the saddles and checking the intonation (although the harmonics at the 7th fret sound surprisingly nice). I'm trying to understand how to set up the bridge and the saddles. It's a bit too late at night to play now anyway.

If you want one, you should also consider the blonde with rosewood fingerboard that It'syourboyGru just got. It's every bit as gorgeous and the rosewood fretboard is probably really comfortable.
    In a way, you have the "Gilmour-looking" on one side and the "Blackmore-looking" on the other side. Take your pick! ;)
    Maybe you should wait for the new CV 70s that's replacing them. You'd get new Fender pickups, poplar body, chrome parts, and a tone control on the bridge pickup. The colours would be different too, though. You can check them out on Thomann's website.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Taurus likes this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Actually I'm playing unplugged at the moment and it sounds nice too. It's more resonant than I would have thought!
    The glossy neck is super easy to play. It's a finger highway (!) compared to my acoustic with a satin finish (which was already easy to play). Barre chords are super easy. Same with using the thumb to mute the low E string (my acoustic has a very slight V neck profile and a 45 mm nut, so it's a little different).
    Going from the first to the 14th fret is a breeze with the cutaway shape of the stratocaster.

Taurus likes this.
  13. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    The only thing that's a bit awkward is the "higher horn" digging a little in my chest. I must adjust my playing position a bit (and probably sit straighter).

Taurus likes this.
  14. RAFS

RAFS Squier Talker

Jul 11, 2014
    Canada
  15. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Currently playing on the 1/10 W setting of my amp to avoid annoying the neighbours.

I was afraid the bridge pickup would sound too loud and bright but I actually really like it.
    I love the pickups so far.

I even like the slight single coil hum which is actually really soothing (I know, I must be crazy...).

The tuning machines feel precise. They're as good as the Grover tuners on my acoustic.

The guitar comes with good strings. The gauge feels a bit too light (I think they're 9). Probably great for bending though.

16. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Hey again Blue Squirrel (is there a tale to tell in that name?).

Just had a good look at your images and you can clearly see the high E and B strings are right over one side rather than central on their saddles and the outer saddles outside edges diverge as they go towards the neck.

The string spacing isn't actually too bad now (about the same as mine was) but really the string should be central over the saddle. Those saddles are unfortunately just the wrong size (too big) for the bridge plate as was the case with many VMs from new. New saddles or the whole unit is the usual dilemma but I went the full MIM unit since Fender sent me it for free when I wrote very politely to them!

You too I believe bought from new so I'd try that first... I just asked if they could tell me where to buy the correct saddles for their otherwise most excellent instrument. Failing that you can buy the whole MIM unit with bigger block, correctly sized Fender stamped saddles and better materials all round for about £25.

Just new saddles is the cheaper option but you lose the 'Fender' stamped bent steel look (actually vintage inaccurate anyway since plain cast saddles were the new 'norm' on strats from the start of the three bolt neck period in about May '71... see the MIJ '72 Re-issue which is vintage accurate). As I mentioned the VM saddles can also just be filed down a little bit. I did this to mine when fitting them to an Affinity bridge (the same 2 1/16 spacing) and they're fine now.

If you go for the whole unit option set it up by copying as closely as you can the existing set up (assuming all is good with it... intonation and action etc.) before putting on the guitar and then just fine tune. It's a very easy swap ultimately ... just 6 screws. Just be careful how far you screw them down to suit your preferred trem .. floating/decked etc.

Here's the filed down VM saddles on the Affinity ... with strings passing right over the centre!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  17. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Fantastic guitar. Congrats! Here's some factory setup info that's very helpful.
    https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...-do-I-set-up-my-Stratocaster-guitar-properly-

18. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks a lot to all of you for the input! I will change the bridge for the GFS or the Fender or attempt to file the saddles at some point and follow your good advice. Thanks a lot for the Fender page. There are some explanations in mm (on top of measurements in inches) so I'll try tomorrow night or next weekend.

My guitar teacher passed by today (he is a pro player who often gigs at big venues and festivals). He really loved the guitar and said the set up was good enough for now and even surprisingly good for a guitar out of the box. He obviously had fun playing it - it sounded amazing in his hands. He called it "Fender quality" and said that the only problem with the guitar was its player (me) as the possibilities that it offered exceeded my ability! ;) He added that I was really lucky! :)
    He was a bit surprised by the lack of tone control to the bridge pickup - he said Fender pro guitars had it - but to him it wasn't really a problem as long as the pickups were a good match. He thought that was the case here. We played a little with the amp tone control but since I can't play loudly in my apartment, it didn't do much. Still, it sounded good overall.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Guitarmageddon likes this.
  19. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    The Fender MiM trem/block assembly is a great, inexpensive fit for this guitar. I've attempted to sell my black VM a couple of times. I'm a total, Telecaster convert, but I got cold feet and deleted the sale ads. It's a fantastic Strat for the money. I have a hunch that the value may rise a bit in the future.

20. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Hold onto the VM for a bit longer. As they're not discontinued, prices for pre-owned models may increase as demand increases for the limited supply. There's one on CL up the Hudson Valley that I'm tempted to snag. Heck ... I just need a reason to convince myself to get another gee-tar. :)