NGD; My first Lotus

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitar guy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Never had one before, but I know a lot of people like the crap outta them and a lot of people hate the crap out of them. Either way, I wondered what all the fuss was about. Funny thing about this one...it has 3 .11 strings for the GBe and it has, respectfully, .52, .48, .52 for the EAD. Anyway, this guy was moving and he came to my FedEx to ship his guitars, both that he was keeping and selling. He'd already moved out of his apartment and he was leaving that days. Anyway, we had a real nice conversation about strats and guitars and mods and stuff. He leaves and then 15 minutes later he comes in and hands me this guitar. He states that he bought it cheap for a project, never got around to it, sat in his closet for 5 years, forgot about it, found it when he was packing, couldn't sell it, none of his friends wanted it, had no hits on his craigslist ads for a month, and he said, "Here, just have the F***ing thing, I need to get the hell outta dodge and I don't want this anymore. Do something fun with it."

And I now have 18 projects on my freaking hands. This one should be easy though. I plugged it in, tone pots are not working, the switch needs a deep clean, it definitely needs a cleaning, setup, and new strings...I think I'm going to change the tuners and nut and leave the rest original. From the little bit of tone I heard through the crusty, corroded strings, I think I actually like the stock pickups. Body has some scratches and one big ding on the back, but other than that its just corroded and dirty and in need of some love...terrified of what I'll find under the hood...Here's to hoping the truss rod works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but yeah...I want to put as little money into this as possible...none if I can.

2. snivlem

snivlem Squier-Nut

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    My first guitar was a red Lotus. Mine was great. Nice big frets on a maple neck.

Davey and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Guitar looks clean, damage wise. Nice gift. A bit of cleanup, new strings and you probably got a winner. LuthierAtl used to talk real good about Lotus, until he moved out West to play in the dirt.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Heck yeah!!

I have a fond spot for Lotus, Cort, Global -all the bands from when we had no money and a budge entry level guitar would make you a rock star. I think many didn't play as well as they could have giving them a bad rap. Clean it up and rock it out!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Always liked the necks on those.

surf green likes this.
  6. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Congrats! I used to have two Lotus guitars, still have a red strat type. Mine took some work but it's a nice guitar, not great but nice. The stock pickups have a sound all their own. Took a long while before I changed them out. Tuners and bridge were the first things to go.

Attached Files:

so1om likes this.
  7. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Awesome guys! Awesome! I just did the first mods, A new strap I had laying about with some strap locks I purchased from China a while back just cause I felt like I'd need them at some point. Replaced the tone pots and tone cap. Went with some Bourns pots I had lazing about. Hooked the bridge to the middle tone pot and did the seven way strat mod via the push/pull pot. Changed the pot values to 250KA and the cap to .0223 via a Sprauge Orange Drop I had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The original switch and tone pot cleaned up nicely with some CRC.

so1om, marklk and mb doug like this.
  8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    If I remember correctly, the 660 had the plain guard. The 690 was the one with the celluloid guard, like the red one above. I forget the number on the next one, but seem to think it was a 690 with an off brand locking bridge.
    I have a 690 in the burgundy burst with the cream celluloid guard. Be warned if you are around flame. That is a real celluloid guard, and it will go up like gasoliue once started.
    The one I have was the cover model of their catalog. It looks stunning from across the room. Examine it up close and you will find that someone took a nail and scratched a note in the top of the body above the bridge, and they painted right over it. Big block letters. It was all there, but it should have been treated like a kit.
    Some of them are excellent, and some of them have shocking things wrong with them.

They also had a higher quality super strat line made by Samick. The 1110 is the thick square edged ash body with a 6 screw bridge in h, s, h, and the 1190 is a sculpted thinline style with a licensed Floyd and locking nut in h,s,s. They are both three on a side headstocks that the market apparently did not like.
    I have both models in red/rosewood. If you spot one, chances are it will be cheap since people think poorly of the name, but it is well worth the time to check it out.

so1om and mb doug like this.
  9. marklk

marklk Squier Talker

May 10, 2018
    KC
    Welcome to the Lotus club. I have two Lotus S-types and they are very different from each other and from yours. I like them both. One has very chimey pickups. I also have a Lotus banjo.

so1om, mb doug and Davey like this.
  10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Gotta love a free Strat!

I am a Lotus fan, still have several Lotus L680's, 2 are done, one was absolutely great right out of the shipping box 2 0r 3 others need a little fret work. All are maple one piece necks though.
    I am in the midst of a build using a L680 maple neck on an SE body.

so1om, marklk and mb doug like this.
  11. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    The frets on this one are pretty worn. If I decide I like the guitar after my basic mods then I will likely refret it.

mb doug likes this.
  12. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    See them all the time, may have to pay more attention.

so1om likes this.
  13. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    So tentatively put it together and strung it with D'Addarrio Nickel Wound EXL110s. I LOVE THE SOUND!!! And for not having a set up it plays pretty damned nice. I had a lot of trouble putting it down! I had installed a set of tuners from a Squier 51', but I like this enough I will be upgrading the tuners again and putting in my preferred Planet Waves Locking Auto Trim tuners. I just need to make sure the truss rod works before I fully commit to that. I'll probably be doing the set up on it tomorrow.

mb doug and so1om like this.
  14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The sound the pickups produce is almost a signature. JSKeen was experimenting with metal bottom plates and I sent the set out of mine to him.

mb doug and so1om like this.