NGD, MIK, (m-o-u-s-e?) E7 Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Shine, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:27 PM.

1. Shine

Shine Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Been away from these pages for quite a while, but since we're now caged in, I thought I'd share.

This came up locally just before the Great Lock Down, and casting aside all feelings of guilt and responsibility, I went for it. Largely due to some degree of nostalgia as I remember being dazzled decades ago by a LPB Fender Strat hanging on the wall just out of reach in a music store.

I haven't done too much except tried to tighten the truss rod, but it's getting stuck and the neck could use a turn or so more. I may loosen the truss and strings and then try again. Pots and switch are scratchy, and the cool pick guard is pretty warped--maybe it sat out in the car on a very hot day? I learned that the screw placement suggests it's based on a '62. I don't know if I should try to find a replacement, though I'm sure they're all different. Or I could try my luck at pressing it down.

But I love the color scheme (not exactly sure what it's called--Electric Blue? Sonic Blue? Old Lake Placid Blue?). The glossy neck works for me, and the frets are good. I'm curious to see what is has under the hood.

Feel free to weigh in!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:52 PM
    duggerh, mb doug, cool gouhl and 7 others like this.
  2. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    I’ve had luck putting warped guards in a pan of hot water for a few minutes and then putting weight on them till they cooled off.

mb doug, B Stock, SquierTap and 2 others like this.
  3. Shine

Shine Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Ah, good idea. Thanks!

mb doug and SquierTap like this.
  4. JamesPaul

JamesPaul Squier Talker

Whatever it is called, I'm loving that Blue!

5. Weird how the back plate is a reverse screw pattern than normal. Must be on upside down.
    A fine looking guitar just the same. Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug and SquierTap like this.
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Congrats, hoss! She IS a looker! I think she'll clean up just fine... Those Korean Squier necks are hard to beat... I recently picked up a MIK '89 Squier II and I LOVE it... Especially the glossy neck... I know that gloss necks aren't gettin a lotta love these days, but for 20+ years, I learned on a '97 MIM Stratocaster with a glossy neck... So they feel like "home" to me...

Congrats again and HNMIKD!

mb doug likes this.
  7. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    I tried the oven method and got a pickguard fixed that way as well. Might be worth trying if hot water doesn't do it...

mb doug likes this.
  8. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Their all LPB, Torino Red, Arctic white and Black from that era. The MIJ E series and MIK E7 and E10 stuff... The MIK stuff was done in like 57' and 62' versions. So the 11 screw pickguard and rosewood fretboard on 62' version and 8 screw pickguard and maple fretboard on the 57' version. They were also the only Squier models where the neck profile differed as well based on version. As the the 57' has a soft V type profile and the 62' version doesn't. Don't think any other Squier was built like that. Where the rosewood version had a different profile then the maple version... Looks like ya might have a chance at having something good under the pickguard. Knobs and pickups don't match. Something was swapped out at some point...

mb doug and cool gouhl like this.
  9. jnz84

jnz84 Squier Talker

Feb 14, 2020
    New Zealand
    My recent NGD was 89 MIK S90...
    Has double bar ceramics that sound OK to my untrained ear.

HNGD and do update us on the engine spec!

mb doug likes this.
  10. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Your guitar was made by Young Chang, the piano maker where as the rest of the mik's were made by Samick. My avatar is the same as yours, with the exception of swapped pickguard and pickups. Young Chang was asked to make a guitar like the mij's but cheaper, that's why they are so similar to a mij. It's funny because they started making they're own guitars almost identical to the Squier and Fender couldn't compete on the price so the only way they could compete was to have samick use plywood bodies to save money.

mb doug likes this.
  11. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Just looked at the trem, looks like someone evened out all the saddles for you. I always get a chuckle when I see people do that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice