NGD! (Last Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by guitar guy, Dec 7, 2019.

1. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Exotic?!?!?!? USA MADE BABY!!!! YEAH!!!!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Its actually pretty beat to hell. Its got a plethora of paint chips missing, the finish is worn in a couple of places, there was a catastrophic break at the neck pocket that was repaired, the neck has a bunch of little dings on the back, the neck humbucker ring is busted... and so on and so forth. I was originally planning to do a complete refurb...you know, fill the dings, repaint it, new frets, fix that pickup ring, and I was going to put new tuners on it. But once I sat down and played it...It plays so well...soooo well... immediately made friends with it. And I didn't know it until I got it, but the tuners actually are the stock tuners. I didn't know that that Peavey ever put Kluson style tuners on their Mystics, but apparently they did on the ones with hardtail bridges. The repair and the dings, chips and nicks just give it so much character and a story to tell...I just want to play it. I will eventually refret it and fix that pickup ring; the frets, while there is some life left, are not young and the ring definitely needs a repair. But I am looking forward to some great play time with this guitar. I'll be looking for one with a trem in the future, but I am taking a break from "expensive" guitars for a while. But it is one to knock off of the list.

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    So nice!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean, most of it is cosmetic, I'll fix the stuff that ain't. and that is no scratch, the body had actually split in two places, on either side of the neck pocket, and had been repaired, presumably by a talented luthier. This gutar has been through A LOT. But she still sings.

so1om likes this.
  6. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Their version of Klusons are not the greatest. A couple of mine bind up, but with 6 on a strip, they are a bit tougher to fix than trap tuners. I can live with it though.

23 frets, why not! And the neck shape and profile on my Patriot is pretty nice, I imagine the Mystic has the same.

I play my Patriot a few times a week and I feel the solid workhorse feeling of it. Maybe it’s its plain ash or age or whatever, but it feels like an old reliable hammer. Just ready to do its job.

How heavy is the Mystic? How does it balance out with a strap?

7. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    It is not the most balanced. But its not bad. It kind of just hangs there like an anchor and the neck sticks out...kind of like a Warlock or an LP. The Mystics are solid Maple bodies. But it definitely has that work horse feel and appeal. The tuners on this one are pretty nice. They hold tune and are pretty smooth. I'll let you know if my opinion on them changes. But the Mystics and Patriots are pretty old. It might be worth taking the backs off of the tuners and giving them a good clean, polish, and re-grease.

so1om likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice