NGD - Jackson Soloist (Indo)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by eaglesgift, Jul 11, 2019.

1. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    As an obsessive, I sometimes still think about the two guitars I sold in my early twenties and experience deep regret. I found an exact replacement for my candy apple red Fernandes FST-65, 2 or 3 years ago I think, but I could never find a Charvel/Jackson like the one I sold when I ran out of money :confused:.

It was a custom shop USA Soloist of some sort and even if I found one today, I doubt I could justify the cost.... However, a while ago I noticed an Indonesian-made Soloist from the 2016/17 range that, aesthetically at least, was very similar to my old guitar (apart from not being an archtop), but nobody had one in stock any more. A week or two ago, I saw one on Ebay being sold by Neal's Vintage Guitars in Huntington Beach, CA, so I made an offer, it was accepted and now, here it is :).

20190711_185123.jpg

20190711_184532.jpg

20190711_184430.jpg

20190711_184435.jpg

20190711_185431.jpg

I apologise for the long, rambling introduction but I'm not apologising for posting too many pictures :oops:. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea either but I love it so far and I'm hoping it's going to fill the Jackson- sized hole that has been in my heart for 30 years. :)

(I'm also really pleased that it looks like it came straight out of the stock room and was not a display model. The finish is flawless.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Congrats!
    Beautiful guitar

dbrian66 and eaglesgift like this.
  3. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    It's a good looking guitar! HNGD

4. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I should give a shout out to DHL/Pitney Bowes too. I hate paying fees for agents to handle customs procedures almost as much as I hate import duty and sales tax but for the money, it was well worth it. In exchange for 40 or 50 dollars (my rough calculation by subtracting the duty and tax from Ebay's import fee), I had the guitar delivered to my door, saving me the hassle of driving to the airport and having to deal with the customs officers there. Not a bad deal, all considered.

fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Awesome finish. Now play that thing. HNGD!

6. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I just did - this thing is a beast! I've had no thoughts of selling any of my guitars before now, because I love them all, but after playing the Jackson, there are a couple of Schecters in my 'playroom' that must be feeling a little insecure right now.

Oldguitarguy and dbrian66 like this.
  7. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I love Jacksons, and that one is amazing looking. Bet it shreds!

Oldguitarguy, dbrian66 and eaglesgift like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Very cool!

9. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    It does! Lovely smooth board. Also great sustain. It’s exceeded my expectations already - it’s really nicely put together. I’d say it’s in a different league to the Indo and Korean Schecters I’ve got.

Oldguitarguy, mofojar and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Sweet. Bet it shreds!!

BlueSquirrel, dbrian66 and eaglesgift like this.
  11. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Normally when I get a new guitar, I do boring things like going all the way up and down the fretboard on every string to check for fret buzz etc. but I just played this from the start. It led me astray. :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I recently played that very model but in the magenta color.

The Distortion pickups screamed and it had an exceptionally easy to play neck. Congrats!

Oldguitarguy, dbrian66 and eaglesgift like this.
  13. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Yes, the neck is incredibly easy to play - effortless. And even though it was made in Indonesia,I feel like it’s been ‘authenticated’ in the USA as it went on a road trip from Huntington Beach to Cincinnati before it flew over here. :)

BlueSquirrel, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  14. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I had a Jackson Dinky Reverse that I sold to pay bills in my 20s.. I miss that guitar so much. I don't need one but I would like to get one again. It was the first guitar I recorded with in a studio. It was just like the guitar on the right side of the picture.

jackson-dinky-reverse-80442.jpg

15. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I had the gray stone reverse Dinky back in the 90's also. Sold it to a friend.

16. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    HNGD!! That is a nice guitar. Congrats! I did not know that they put SD’s in the Indonisian made guitars. I need to to my homework and read up on those.

Funny you should say that. I traded my Schecter Hellraiser for a MIJ Jackson from the late 90’s. I think the other guy made out financially, but the Jackson just plays and sounds better to me.

C566EFC3-D0C9-48D0-9643-16B49CE9AF1B.jpeg 7446C9DD-1E7A-46ED-B949-5CA9DDA47387.jpeg

17. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Selling my guitars traumatised me so much I don’t think I’ll ever be able to sell one again. This Jackson has made me think about my Schecters a bit but they’re all a little different so they still have something to offer. One’s got alnico SD pickups ( nazgul and sentient), one’s got those ‘vintage 80s’ EMG pickups (HSS) and the other one, well, that one had just better be nice to me :)

fattboyzz and dbrian66 like this.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I was going to pick up an MIA Jackson Soloist back around 1995 for $600 at Sam Ash. But they wouldn't take my ESP as trade.

eaglesgift and dbrian66 like this.
  19. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-holic

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    I did a quick bit of research on the pickups before I made an offer (or maybe it was after lol) and they seem to be like the ceramic, hot equivalent of the alnico SDs they put in the USA Soloists. I took some jazz lessons on my USA Soloist back in the day - it was more than up to the job but I could tell the tutor was worried he might catch something if he sat too close to me.

BlueSquirrel and dbrian66 like this.
  20. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I had a Dimarzio double whammy in mine.. Its was the same stone finish Eddie.

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice