NGD: Indonesian Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by craigs63, Sep 16, 2018.

1. craigs63

craigs63 Squier Talker

Jul 2, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Flea market score today - $20 with Fender gig bag. I successfully removed the stickers and most of the marker writing. Action is a little high but I'll wait for the strings to get stretched more (or, take up the slide). Needs a strap button and a whammy bar. The nut width might be a little narrow for me, we'll see.
    I'd picked up a JV Strat at the same flea market several years ago, always hoping to recreate that moment.

2. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Nice buy! Enjoy.

3. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Looks like a great deal to me. Enjoy it.

4. craigs63

craigs63 Squier Talker

Jul 2, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    I worked on it a little tonight, got the neck pretty close to 0.010" relief, about 5/64" string height at the 12th fret. Intonation is in the ballpark (strings are still stretchy too). I might have to take the low E and G saddle springs out and cut them to get a little extra scale length.

The fretboard is fine (it's about a 10" radius, does that sound right?), no high frets or ends poking out that I noticed. I need to visit my local store and scrounge up a strap button and whammy bar. I had the pickguard off to clean things, it looks like the humbucker isn't wired with a 4 conductor cable, so I will probably live without a coil-tap option (although position 4 sounds like 2 single coils "in between" sound to me?). I didn't pay attention to recommended pickup height, just got them all to be about the same volume for now.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...-do-I-set-up-my-Stratocaster-guitar-properly-

5. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
  6. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Awesome deal :) enjoy the guitar

7. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    20.??.. For a gig bag!.. And it comes with a free guitar!.. I've spent more on pizza.. I'd much rather have a guitar than pizza.. Or a gig bag.. :D

Chubbles and JoeInMichigan like this.
  8. craigs63

craigs63 Squier Talker

Jul 2, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    I'll probably sell it eventually, I need to play the JV more (and a few other guitars). I wonder why they made the neck so narrow on these?

9. craigs63

craigs63 Squier Talker

Jul 2, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Just invested $5 in a strap button (upper horn is missing one) and a whammy bar. Strats without whammy bars aren't as cool. Staying in tune is overrated.

mkgearhead likes this.
  10. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    You should ask for little things like strap buttons. I have a bunch and would have sent you one. Next time. :)

Eddie likes this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My parts pile is getting deep also. I don't know what I have and don't have anymore. ha ha

12. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    Ditto. I replace all mine with Schaller strap locks and I have a drawer full of the old ones.

13. Protone

Protone Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2015
    Louisville
    Sweet looking guitar. Nice pickup