NGD: First Act Tele

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by RoyalWe, Nov 4, 2018.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    buddy of mine was cleaning out his storage unit, came across this ME302 and said he’d sell it to me for $20. Needless to say I took him up on it. It’s a neat short scale offset tele kinda thing, strat pickup in the neck, tele bridge pickup. Not sure what it’s made of, but it’s pretty light. The neck is pretty thick and beefy, kinda LP like, 43mm at the nut 56.5mm at the heel. I think I’m going to like this little guy. The blonde finish and black single ply guard are nice touches, as my wife put it “it’s very retro looking”, am inclined to agree. Haven’t had it plugged in much, just to check the electronics worked, so not sure what kinda tone these stock pickups are putting out. I figure it’ll be a decent backup/bearer for outdoor or house shows where gear has a tendency to wander off amongst the masses. 7A910D64-A63B-45E1-A168-FF048B0BB256.jpeg D1E13E4E-60D4-4AE1-AE8F-64E0E3FC5F29.jpeg
    EDIT: my mistake, I took a tape measure to it and it is in fact 25.5” scale. It seemed so small I assumed it was a shorty.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Davey, mb doug, corn and 14 others like this.
  2. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Nice! I just picked up a First Act Strat copy and was surprised at how good the stock puckups sound.

3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Cool find! I look forward to hearing your assessment. I've tried to buy one of these a couple of times and just missed out. The one I saw in a pawn shop was pretty heavy, so I think are lam construction, but so is my 86 MIJ Squier Bullet, so that is no biggie to me. The 302 is about the only mass production FA that I've seen with a maple board. That was a killer deal, people pay up to $100 for these.

That's my observation too. Was it a Strat with a single HB? I'm putting a loaded guard from a FA Overtone into a Bullet Special right now. Will be cool to have both volume and tone controls in that guitar.

RoyalWe and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    That looks like the one my buddy has and there was a batch that were alder and just awesome.

5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I've also heard that some were solid wood. Will be interesting to hear more details as the OP gets it apart.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Slide Time!!!

7. nitro

nitro Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hmm... Don't know why cause I've seen these so many times before but that is the first I've seen with a maple board. ooohhh, that gives me some ideas . Now I gotta find one.

8. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Alright, I’m back! ST was down or something, I couldn’t connect all yesterday. So, I know you guys seem to be digging the maple board....but I swapped it out for the Starcaster neck I bought a little while ago, profile fits my playing better. While doing so I see that the body some kind of laminate, a thin layer on the top (and I assume the back?) filled in with a soft inner wood, almost like a door. It’s routed for a very generous HH which has opened up a huge realm of possibilities....I’m thinking a really twangy tele bridge paired with a p90 neck, any suggestions? Anyway, pics! CF1FA73D-6C2E-47B4-95CB-554F80CD5868.jpeg 7B614EAA-6FD5-47C1-8D44-665E449690EE.jpeg C27E506E-9E07-47A6-BA30-E022188DF348.jpeg 7ACD2817-47F7-4655-BF12-F4E0CFEBFD02.jpeg 5DC72AAF-3666-4782-9666-48FA78D078B1.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    mb doug, T5854, daan and 5 others like this.
  9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I like the new look ! ! Kool ! ! !

RoyalWe likes this.
  10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Nice for $20 but it's not the high end model.

11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Wanna double your $? :)
    I wonder if it’s Palouwina “empress wood” with something denser on top and back. Pal. is very light, but dents really easily, so veneering it with Alder/Poplar/whatever would give it a bit more strength, without increasing the weight.
    Oh and P90 neck/Tele bridge is an awesome combo! I wired mine up with all 500k pots and it didn’t seem to make the bridge pup too bright (like some Teles with 1meg pots can)

12. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Happy NGD! I think it looks better with the starcaster headstock. I've seen these around and I kinda like the look except I didn't like the 3x3 headstock, but the inline 6 it looks much better.

13. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I ordered a Guitar Madness “standard” tele bridge pickup and one of their cream neck P90’s. Excited for them to arrive and cutting out the pickguard to fit the P90. I think it’s gonna look good, and sound great :) with so many positive reviews I don’t see how I could dislike them

14. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I hope to look at one of these near me soon. I have a spare FA Strat neck that would look good on this body. I wonder if the body would look good in a transparent finish. Hmmm, sounds like a project!

Kenneth Mountain and RoyalWe like this.
  15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I’d love to find out what the body wood is all the way through if you do!

16. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I'm not much use at identifying types of wood, if you are trying to pin down what the core of that body is. I'm encouraged seeing your pics and learning about the wood cap on the top and hopefully the bottom. If the top cap has any kind of nice grain, I'd probably strip the paint and try to use an amber stain and maybe then Tru Oil. The big pickup routs are cool too, make it less work. Also a big plus is not seeing tons of clear poly in the cavities like I've come to expect from FA guitars, as in the pic below. I have a spare set of Peavey Reactor pickups just looking for a home.

Don't forget the big thread on TDPRI for all models of FA guitars, under Guitar Owners Clubs. Called FARG: First Act is a Real Guitar. Tons of cool guitars and conversions there.

IMG_20160626_205804868.jpg

mb doug, RoyalWe and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I don’t usually care for it, but with the price I got it for I’m feeling adventurous. I’m considering doing a light relic on this guitar. The thought I had is “what happens if you tape some fine grit sand paper to the sleeve of a hoodie/long sleeve shirt, and then play the guitar?” I image it’d wear it down in a more natural looking way. Dunno, just a passing thought at this moment.

Michael7 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

That sounds like a good technique, but may take a while. Then repeatedly and forcefully drop it on your guitar stand to get nicks on the edges and rub the back against your biggest belt buckle.