NGD = First Act Fanatic {?}

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NewsCam 603, Sep 13, 2019 at 2:21 PM.

1. NewsCam 603

NewsCam 603 Squier-Meister

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    No, I haven't lost my mind and it isn't just the treat of getting a black guitar delivered on Friday the 13th. The $67.50 First Act Overload is here and, in context of WHAT it is, it's a home run. One small dimple up by the bridge {bummer} but generally very good condition otherwise.
    The necks on these are do or die and pleased to say this neck is Squier quality at the very least. Great, thin profile, straight as an arrow, frets finished well/no sharp ends. Cleaned, polished and oiled the third fret for a little inspiration and in less than an hour tonight tonight that neck will look better than new!
    She'll need a full cleaning and that white, stupid looking "Fisher Price" pup will have to go but all in all, this guitar isn't anywhere near the POS these things are alleged to be. F1.JPG F2.JPG F3.JPG F4.JPG

2. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Looks like a fun guitar. There is a FA VW model for sale near me. I've heard good things about them.

3. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Wow is that board dry looking! It’ll be so much nicer when you’re done with the cleanup. Happy NGD!

4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I've owned one of those VW special run models.

If the neck is straight and all the electronics function properly, go for it. Its a fun, good sounding and playing guitar. And you'll be surprised at what a kick in the nuts the built in overdrive circuit can be.

dbrian66 and marklk like this.
  5. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Yup, supposed to be pretty decent. Prices are all over the place though never really cheap like most FA's. VW's do have a certain cachet {deserved or not} and that drives the price.

dbrian66, marklk and so1om like this.
  6. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Thanks! Obviously, axes at this level are never cared for by their owners and this one almost looks like it sat in the sunlight for years. So much fun to spend a measly hour and bring these back to life.

dbrian66, marklk and daan like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    Honestly - don't change that pickup!! It's a great sounding high quality Alnico V - the ring won't fit a regular HB anyway......it's not Fisher Price, it's the best part about this guitar!!

Michael7, Robb, dbrian66 and 5 others like this.
  8. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Well, Guitarmageddon, you clearly know a lot more about these than I do so maybe I'll just paint the collar black and that will suffice. Just looks like a gd bar of Ivory soap, lol.

dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I play a First Act Sheena at the guitar happy hour I regularly attend. An imported one, not a Custom Shop US First Act (which sell for over $1000 and up). It is uniquely styled, but playing-wise, it reminds me of my friend's PRS SE, but with a P90 in the neck. I wish I could buy it from them.

dbrian66, mkgearhead and NewsCam 603 like this.
  10. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    $385 with shipping, I don't think so ..... http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=183926825322

dbrian66 and VealCutlet like this.
  11. marklk

marklk Squier Talker

May 10, 2018
    KC
    Shhhh....you're going to drive up the prices. . I own a bunch of First Acts. Most of them are pretty good. Guitarmageddon is correct the pups are good quality and good sounding. Because of the price of these guitars I do use them to experiment and learn with so I've taken a few of the pups out but they always find their way into another guitar somehow.

NewsCam 603 and dbrian66 like this.
  12. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I love my $20 flame First Act. They made a flame pink one too that I'll get someday. I guess my only complaint about them is, I don't buy them online because shipping is usually more than the cost of the guitar.

IMG_6953.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:27 PM
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I like it and hope its a good jammer ! jam.gif

HNGD !

NewsCam 603 and dbrian66 like this.
  14. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    dbrian66 likes this.
  15. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Still have to polish the frets but just doing this it's night and day ;) Fret1.JPG Fret2.JPG

16. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    First Act Stuff definitely doesn’t get the respect it deserves. A guy I knew YEARS ago, had a Custom Shop Delgada. I saw/heard that guitar before I ever knew about their “beginner level” stuff, and it was a fully pro-level guitar. Once I ran into their cheap ones (at a pawn shop) I thought I was getting the deal of the century, until I realized the one I bought was from Toys’R’Us... :p

47E4EA82-C83D-4FF9-9779-0AA812651B65.jpeg 9667907A-23B7-4A66-AD4C-E26A58FB875F.jpeg

17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I was about to say, if ya do throw that humbucker in the trash, send it to me instead! I JUST got a First Act from @Kenneth Mountain (matter of fact it was the pink flame one that @mitch_cumsteen just mentioned) and it took me a while to plug it in, but when I did, man, those humbuckers sounded GREAT to me! Lol... It made a couple of my other humbuckers sound crappy in comparison... IMG_20190823_144056111.jpg

18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Had one, it’s so small, it’s awkward to play sitting down, but fine with a strap. Cool preamp/effects built in (just overdrive).

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  19. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-Nut

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Cool. If it's anything like my First Act VW Garage Master you'll have fun with it.

014.JPG

Michael7, corn, wildelectric and 6 others like this.
  20. NewsCam 603

Jul 31, 2019
    Concord N.H.
    Not sure prices will ever go up, they're pretty plentiful. There will be one more in my future though.

Kenneth Mountain and marklk like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice