NGD Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Totally Squiered, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    Well, what can I say. My good lady gets my guitar obsession and gifted me a riot of colour in a guitar for my birthday this year!
    This is the super budget Epi LP SL. And it is a looooot of fun !!!
    When I first saw it I was immediately reminded of the TV yellow LPJ I've been hankering after.
    But this axe has single coils. Although I'm already contemplating the upgrade to P90s.
    Although the single coils sound great. And the guitar as a whole is very enjoyable to play. Admittedly, it is so light you might think its made of polystyrene, but the neck is playable and the guitar knows how to rock. 1544292041568.jpg

mb doug, theflow, mdparent03 and 8 others like this.
  2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It does look good ... and the neck is OK. However of the approximate 25 guitars and basses I own, all of them except one or maybe two cost me under $200 ... to me it is the junkiest electric I own and that includes some guitars I've paid as little as $50 used or about $70 new.

Sorry ... but that's how I feel. In fact to me it is so far down my list of electric guitars I don't even rightly know what is my second-worst electric.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I just sold mine, exactly like that one - Sunset Yellow....because I needed some extra funds for Christmas.....kind of regret it a bit now.....

Bought it for $157.07 Canadian with tax, sold it 4 months later for $120 - I hate taking losses but what can you do.

4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

Happy New Guitar Day and Happy Birthday. They need a little work to get the most out of them but these are a blast once you get them dialed in. They are a great and affordable choice for those with basic guitar modding/maintenance abilities. You will get out of it what you put into it. I mentioned in a recent thread how the two that I bought and modded get substantial playtime. LINK
    In capable hands, these are Gems in the Rough. At least that's how I feel.

Enjoy!

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats on the guitar and enabling lady.

theflow, mdparent03, so1om and 4 others like this.
  6. whaynes3

whaynes3 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2011
    Port Charlotte Fl
    I am on a selling crusade to get one... I plates one a GC the other day and loved it

theflow, mdparent03, so1om and 2 others like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    That's good it worked out for you. Most inexpensive Epiphones I've encountered have had significant issues with the nut and frets. The other main issue was way too hot humbuckers but that wouldn't be an issue with this guitar.

Totally Squiered, theflow and Pat V. like this.
  8. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    If you mentally charge yourself a dollar an hour each time you play your guitars, you never take a loss :).

9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I've looked for a way to illustrate just that. Thanks.
    Even if you lose on a resale, all the fun and joy you got out of that piece of gear, didn't cost you much an hour.

10. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Keep on rockin!

Totally Squiered and theflow like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Add a push/pull to the tone pot and you can put the two single coils in series. Or cut a slot at the current switch and swap out for a Tele 4-way switch and get the regular 3-way you have plus a series humbucker option.

If you want a LPJ type then mod so you can move the two single coils down by the bridge for a humbucker setup.

This is the Epi Special Junior, with some mods ... humbucker is split with push/pull tone pot. So you'd just need to do the reverse.
    [​IMG]

Totally Squiered, theflow and so1om like this.
  12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats & HNGD !

Totally Squiered, Taurus and theflow like this.
  13. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Congrats man, I've got 2 of those ,one Yellow one Turquoise, and they are a blast ! Enjoy !

Totally Squiered likes this.