NGD - Caught a Firefly

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mrriggs, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That is the normal place for the jack on a 335 style guitar. Would look strange if not there. Just use an angled cord like on Jags and Jazzmasters.

2. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    There’s been someone selling these locally on Long Island Letgo for $100, and every other day or so they lower the price to $90 I guess so people who’ve looked at them get notifications of the lower price. Haven’t given in to the temptation yet.

drewcp likes this.
  3. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Still can't say I 'Love' this guitar. Although, it occurred to me recently that I pick up this Firefly more often than not when I sit down to play. In fact, I play it almost exclusively.

It's baffling. After spending several months (and a small fortune) building the perfect [Mustang] guitar that fits like a glove and plays fantastic, I reach for the awkward shaped, toy-like feeling guitar with the obnoxious rattle-buzz in the bridge.

So again my mind starts wandering... Should I tool up to give this thing a proper fret crown/dress, replace the buzzing bridge, rewire to get rid of the abrupt-taper pots and output jack that feels like it's going to break any time you put a cable in/out?

Nah... I just can't bring myself to do that with this guitar. Would I play it any more than I do now? Probably not since I already play it a lot.

It'd probably be cheaper (and much easier) to just buy a better 335-style guitar. Would I actually like that better than this Firefly? Maybe... but maybe not. I already have a "better" guitar and yet I reach for this [far] less-than-perfect guitar when I want to play.

What is is about these Fireflys that is so appealing?

Flying Z likes this.
  4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think for most people, it's 3 things: Not having any other 335 style guitarsIt's inexpensive enough to not worry about babying it. It's built well enough to actually be playable.

The internet hype around them, feeling like you're part of something kind of exclusive for having one, when they come out in such limited numbers, doesn't hurt either.

5. notme

notme Squier-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    For me it came down to bang for buck value, and i had to see for myself. I do like it but dont love it, i agree about the feel, toy like. An Ibanez has a better feel to me but not stellar. No regrets buying.

6. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I do love mine and it definitely gets played more than my other . And like you said I have other guitars that are much higher quality but theres just something special about these I think.

notme likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice