NGD - Black Sands Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Pat V., Jul 11, 2018.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    2018 Squier Contemporary Stratocaster HSS in Black Metallic.

I bought this guitar primarily for the body, neck and part of the bridge but I thought I’d at least give it a quick mini review before taking it apart.

It is difficult to notice, and even harder to capture with a camera the “metallic” aspect of Squier’s Black Metallic finish on their newly released Contemporary series guitars. In many lighting conditions, it looks like any other gloss black polyurethane finish but occasionally, when the light falls on it just right, you can see a subtle glimmer that I really like. The subtlety of the effect was good news for me. I didn’t expect that it would be a heavy sparkle like what you might find on the Gretsch G5265 but I hadn’t paid much attention to the finish when I first saw the new series at Winter NAMM.

Bringing the guitar outdoors and examining it closer, the effect is even more obvious and it reminds me of the black sands of Kehena Beach on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Although I hadn’t planned on buying a whole new guitar, I had been planning on building a black Strat for another Panzerholz experiment and I was going to put together another parts-caster like the two previous builds.

When I saw how nice the Rosewood neck and black headstocks looked on the Contemporary HSS, I decided that it would be a nice foundation for my new build. The challenge then became finding one light enough to my liking. The weight range of these guitars swing pretty wide.

Out of the box, it was setup very well with no issues at all. Just tuned her up and it was ready to go. The fretboard edges were super smooth which was surprising since the guitar had spent three or four days traveling by truck in temperatures that exceeded 115F along the way so I accepted the possibility of a little fret sprout.

The stock pickups sound quite good, the sealed tuners work well and hold tune. The block saddles on the two-point tremolo bridge look good and the tapered small trem-block is exactly what you would expect. As a whole the tremolo system worked great.

The volume and tone controls are full size (1” dia) 500K pots but the volume taper is pretty wonky.

I kind of wish I had kept it together a little longer to play stock but I got a good 3 or 4 days with it and I think it’s a great little guitar. It feels solid and has a nice balance to it. It weighed in at 7 pounds 5 ounces but I hope to bring that down below 7 after my work.

I’m really only interested in the body, neck and part of the bridge so the rest is up for grabs if anyone is interested. I’ll add more photos after I work on it.

Cheers!

PZ4-Exp 0101 Black Sands Squier.jpg
    PZ4-Exp 0102.jpg
    PZ4-Exp 0103.jpg
    PZ4-Exp 0104.jpg
    PZ4-Exp 0105.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Treynor, Taurus, mb doug and 12 others like this.
  2. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
  3. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Thanks! I did most of the mods today and spent the last hour and a half noodling on it.
    I put a set of Kluson Single Lines on it and all of the guts have been replaced.
    I gotta say... these Pure Vintage 65 pickups may end up being my favorite Fender set and they cost less than a lot of the other sets do. I will shoot some pics of it tomorrow.

PZ4-Exp 0106.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    squierbilly, Treynor, mb doug and 5 others like this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    That is a cool color. How heavy did yours turn out?

Treynor, Kenneth Mountain and theflow like this.
  5. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    At the moment it is just under seven @ 6 pounds, 15 ounces.

6. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Do you have a big block of the tank material to make your bridges, or are you getting them “one guitar at a time”?
    I’m interested to see how this one turns out!

7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I have enough material to do a few more experiments. This one will get a full size trem block so this will be the first one that isn’t a hard tail.

8. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Ditto !

9. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I had a 2002 Dodge Stratus SXT in that same color. Nice.

duggerh and Pat V. like this.
  10. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    About a year ago, I bought an old 2000 model Affinity Strat and completely disassembled it from one end to the other. Other than a pristine body and decent neck, it was basically an average $35.00 guitar. I replaced the tuners, the nut, leveled the frets and put in a loaded pick guard with Fender Direct Drive pickups. It really sounds and plays good now and as it was my first mod, I will probably keep it forever.

Partscaster 1.jpg

squierbilly, Treynor, duggerh and 4 others like this.
  11. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    that's one of the best looking strats I've ever seen right there, Pat.

Amazing! Wish I could grab one for $200.00 ;)

12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I think they look great too but I've now changed the overall look with a black pickguard.

Treynor, duggerh and theflow like this.
  13. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I started out with black string trees and black button Klusons but went with the white/cream for now.

PZ4-Exp 0109e.jpg PZ4-Exp 0107e.jpg PZ4-Exp 0110e.jpg

14. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Treynor, theflow and Pat V. like this.
  15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I have to say, the original guard with the zebra pup in the bridge looked... kind of weird. Cross eyed almost. With the black guard on it, it looks SO much better!

16. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Thanks!

Thanks! I had a hot wound DiMarzio Bluesbucker (also zebra) set aside to use in keeping it H/S/S, but I also prefer the S/S/S with black covers.

17. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    A few more pics in the case. PZ4-Exp 0112e.jpg PZ4-Exp 0113e.jpg PZ4-Exp 0114e.jpg PZ4-Exp 0116e.jpg

squierbilly, duggerh, Treynor and 3 others like this.
  18. Taurus

Taurus Squier Talker

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Useful review

I have GAS for the blue one of this HSS series,don't know if I’ll go for it

Pat V. and Treynor like this.
  19. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Where are those made,,, mexico?... Curious because of the fret markers.. Its looking Japanese now..:D
    Domo Arigoto!..

Pat V. likes this.
  20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    China. CY serial number

squierbilly likes this.