NGD Another Raptor EXP

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by pflug, Jun 14, 2019.

1. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    This arrived today- for an inexpensive guitar I love the feel of these things

Trans Red, a couple small dings but overall looking pretty much unused, still has plastic on pickguard

The Raptors seem to be breeding here...

20190614_123632.jpg 20190614_123957.jpg

littlebadboy, dbrian66, daan and 10 others like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  3. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    Was always intrigued by these. Some have said that Peavey guitars are actually not all that bad. What I would like to confirm is 1. Are the necks nice and 2. Are the pickups decent? Alnico or ceramic?

Hope you enjoy your NGD!

edit: they remind me a lot of the Yamaha Pacificas... simple yet well-built HSS platforms. The pickguard bothers me because it's not a common format.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I like the necks on them a lot- I know that's subjective but seem big enough to be comfortable (I've found the Pacifica to be a bit small for comfort)- As for quality the fretwork seems good and I've been able to get a low action without any levelling and no sharp edges
    Pickups are mid-range ceramics with big poles, they're decent for an inexpensive guitar- better than a lot of cheap ceramics but nothing spectacular either. I've got a set of GM Alnico ".25 caliber"coming to try out as well as some "conventional" 62z single coils I'm planning on trying with a Duncan JB in the bridge. MIM big block trem should also be a drop in
    Peavey has sold a wide range of guitars- these are toward the lower end but seem like a great value

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Sweet looking guitar, HNGD.

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. GuitarGuru76

GuitarGuru76 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Just got a an early gen 1 international raptor last week. Good bones to play with. Peavy Raptor 1.PNG

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
  8. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Congratulations on the Raptor Plus EXP. Very nice, easy to play guitars. I had a trans red one I gave to my son. He also has a black Raptor I. I have two Raptor I's; one red, one white. 574504929133618en.JPG Peavey Raptor I white SSS Full.JPG

dbrian66 and daan like this.
  9. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities

If they’re at all like Reactors (Peavey’s Tele clone) they should be nice, solid guitars. My first actual brand-new guitar was a Reactor, I read a “Tele Copy Shootout” in “Guitar Player Magazine” (remember them?) in the early 90’s and they rated the Peaveys over everything, even our beloved Squiers. Mine had Ceramic magnets (single bar across the bottom) and I remember the neck being fuller than the Squier Tele the store also had. Plus at the time, all the Squiers that store had, had Rosewood necks, and the Peavey could be had with an all-maple one, (And was cheaper) so I went with that. Unless the 2nd generation Raptors got cheapened, they should be great instruments.

dbrian66, Stratlover84 and drewcp like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice