NGD and quick review-Classic Vibe 70's Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by snivlem, Mar 15, 2019.

1. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've always wanted a guitar in Natural and was excited to see that new CV70's with that finish. I would put a white guard in it probably.

I think the mark of obsession is imagining mods to guitars you don't own yet.

Wizzer, eaglesgift, TEXINGA and 3 others like this.
  2. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier-Meister

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I love Strats, I love Squiers, I love Classic Vibes and I love white Strats….so you know I love that guitar! One thing I'd do though is put a mint green pickguard on it.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

3. wade-19

wade-19 Squier-Meister

Jan 26, 2015
    St.Louis
    I did just that. See pictures on page 3.

stratfreak and snivlem like this.
  4. stratfreak

stratfreak Squier-Meister

May 1, 2019
    Austin, TX
    You sure did! It looks killer!!!

cliffenstein likes this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It never fails to amaze me that the guy who owns what is arguably the #1 Fender dealer in the UK, and probably sells hundreds of Strats every year, can be SO ignorant about Fender products. He doesn't know how to float a Strat bridge! I've known it since I bought my first Strat in the '70s. And, in videos introducing new models, he doesn't even know the specs, and has to look at the press release when Rob asks him something like "Is this an alder body?" or "Is this a rosewood fretboard?". It takes me literally ten seconds to memorize the specs of any given Fender/Squier model. It would take him the same amount of time to study the specs BEFORE the camera starts rolling. How can someone so clueless be so successful, and such a good player? Is he so spoiled that he doesn't even know how to change the strings on a Strat, and has some flunky do it for him, so he doesn't even know about the claw? I'm speechless.

6. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Hmmmm...this is the exact one color and all i have been thinking about getting. But the quote "I was neither impressed or let down by the sound" has me a bit worried. The chinese CV line was always getting great reviews from most everyone saying they can't believe how good they are. I have a couple and concur. So when i hear this it worries me. But if i do get one it'll be at GC with the 45 day return, so no loss, just a bit of a PITA if i have to return it i spose.

But i have questions.....Have you owned the chinese CV 50s or 60s and if so how is the neck on this new CV indo 70s model compared to those as thickness goes? And that white looks like pure white, arctic or whatever they usually call it. It's supposed to be olympic white which is one of fender's slightly off whites. Is that the fault of the lighting or camera or is it really that white?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    can anyone confirm if the bridge on these has full thickness block or is it the thin ones that are found on 99% squier strat bridges?

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on one of these in white.

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    If it's the same as my VM70s it'll be the small block.

The easy solution is to spend another $20 and put the entire Fender MIM unit in it's place, block, plate and saddles. All much better quality and direct swap.

Many VM and CV owners (well any 6 point trem and full depth Squier bodied guitar owners) here have done it.

Which are you thinking of going for? The same as the OP's? IL fretboard?

9. -MKR-

-MKR- Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Yeah i know. I have swapped bridges before so it's no big deal. I would probably go for a chinese vintage style wilkinson with the push in arm. it's a bit pricier, but P[ush in trem arms are a million times better in my opinion.

I'm just curious about the block since i can't find any information on the web, but so much of these strats is "different" than their predecessors like the stamped saddles, the ACTUAL tort pickguard, the new logo, the wood type, the pickups, that even though it's a long shot, it might be possible.

and yeah i would go for the same as the OP. white with tort is just about my fave strat look and with the quality of this tort (as it appears in pics), i would not have to spend any money to upgrade the pickguard. I just prefer it be a bit more red than brown, but from photos the tort looks quite nice!

10. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Hey everyone, mine was a thin block.

-MKR- likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice