NGD and quick review-Classic Vibe 70's Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by snivlem, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
  2. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    I'm sure it's a great guitar and well worth it!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. I think he's big on the brass … trem blocks at least. What say you @TEXINGA ?
    Cheers, Barrie.

4. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    I'm thinking the OP's individual guitar is very nice no doubt. Differences? Improvements?

Nice dark fretboard, good weight and the usual VM fit and finish. I'm liking the upgraded nut and truss access finish (too much to ask to set up a separate line for bullet trusses and 3 bolt necks at this price point). It's also now got a more vintage correct logo to go with the vintage correct dot spacing (unlike the '50's) and vintage correct till '75 staggered pole pieces (like the old VMs with level poles are vintage correct for '76 and on..).

Only things I wish they had done for what is CV money and a CV designation is use Alder like the '50s and '60's get and also use their better trem units. Those saddles perhaps need a 'pushing together' but again they look both a little wide and a little cheap... regardless of the 'Squier' text. The trem was the weak point on the old VMs... more so than nut. Opportunity missed for better more CV quality material with block saddles to make it '70's and distinguish it from the '50's and '60's.

Still ... looks fabulous! Loving the white.

xtomx2000 likes this.
  5. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

Was not too hard, the hard part was to cut the old one out because of the Gloss Urethane around it. The sound of an open note sounds like a classical guitar and I like that but I also use the Zoom G3Xn Multi-Effects Processor.

6. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

BIG on brass, and yes every Squier keeper I change the nut and block to brass. The tone and resonance unbelievable

7. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Nut

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Count me in on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    So how did you manage to remove it without chipping the finish?
    I'd love to hear how it sounds. I'm partial to the sound of classical guitars. It must be awesome!

9. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
  10. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
  11. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Nut

Dec 7, 2018
    GA

Nice job you did!!! Love it

Kenneth Mountain and xtomx2000 like this.
  12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Just been looking online to see what's available over this side of the pond.

They still do the CV70's in all black with maple board (inc a left hander) and the same giant online retailer has it at about £330 compared to £300 for the old black/maple VM70's and £430 for the Alder/Tonerider/decent trem CV 50's & 60's.

TEXINGA likes this.
  13. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    I think the new CV 70s with black body and maple neck is a HSS version whereas its old VM counterparts is SSS.

14. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Just measured the resistance in the pickups-
    N 5.64k
    M 5.97k
    B 6.34k

15. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Would you have any sound samples, by the way?

Taurus and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    20190515_194716.jpg
    Update... Thought about selling it, ended up keeping it, glad that I did. I kept it with the intention of putting in some Van zandt pickups that I have waiting for a build, but these pickups are great-so no need. These are already all over reverb and eBay for around $300 new, so the value is definitely there. Don't hesitate Squier lovers. I've got my mint on and I'm set to go.

17. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

What is this ? model / year ? minty fresh ! ! !

18. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    It's the original new CV70 from the thread, I just swapped out the guard. I'll end up with with either a walnut or natural as well I'm sure.

19. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Very Nice ! Your diggin the stock pickups ? Congrats !

snivlem likes this.
  20. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Yeah, they sound like good warm strat pickups to me, listen to this starting about 9:00, he covers it...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice