NGD: Affinity Pack Sunburst Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by danzigdan, Oct 11, 2018.

1. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    81A3D771-3485-4862-AD9D-621C5D6B57C3.jpeg Always look out for the 22 fret/string-thru Teles from the Affinity Pack and don’t see many. As someone else posted recently other than the 22 frets this feels a lot like the current Bullet FSR’s. Although I think the bridge pickup in this one sounds a tad better than my sparkle.

And I’m getting a brand new hard case as this one was SUPPOSED to come with one that mysteriously disappeared.

txflood, mb doug, SquierTap and 8 others like this.
  2. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  3. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    love those affinity pack guitars - 22 fret and string through are big improvements to the regular affinity :)

HNGD!

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Looking good !

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

Dibbs if you don't like it - we're neighbors ! ! ! Dan shoots - he scores ! ! ! Killer Dude ! ! A Hearty Congrats !

SquierTap, dbrian66 and danzigdan like this.
  6. burke

burke Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2014
    florida
    Didnt know these existed. What colors did they come in?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    Butterscotch blonde and sunburst. There is a FSR Butterscotch in the new Bullet Tele series that is similar, but only 21 frets.

8. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    I had one of the butterscotch blond one's, it was more of a solid color, liked it a lot, but some ding-dong took a flat bladed screw driver to the neck pocket making for a high action. Only fix was to reroute the neck pocket and glue in a spacer, which was more trouble than it was worth for what I had in it.

9. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    the wood match is a little fugly - but I bet it sounds and plays good ! ! !

SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  10. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    I use these super light Affinity guitars for testing different pickups. They are great and SUPER light!

11. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    I'd say this guitar is a tad lighter than the red sparkle Bullet Tele I have. One of these days I'll get a scale.

12. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah, I love the maple necks on these and for what it's worth they are pretty much full size at the nut unlike the Affinity Tele not sold in the pack that has the 21 fret neck. Those are a bit more narrow at the nut.

13. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    With the full width nut, 22 frets, and plastic truss rod hole liner, is there any difference between the affinity pack tele neck and a mim fender tele other than the tuners and the label (and the price, of course)?

14. SquireNV

SquireNV Squier Talker

Sep 30, 2018
    Nevada
    Just like mine. Love it.

15. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Don't get me wrong: I think the Pack Affinity is GREAT! But it's not in the same league as a MIM. The differences in quality of the hardware go further than just the tuners. Metal is different, chroming exists in many qualities, pickups also have a quality level, as do pots, ... The body is still thinner than a MIM (which might change resonance too). Also the nut quality will differ.

Does that account for the full price difference? I don't think so, part of that difference is caused by the difference in labour cost, but also by marketing (and the quality of the Fender decal, which is always better than a Squier decal :D).

Qualitywise differences between a MIM Player and a Classic Vibe are a lot smaller than between a MIM and an Affinity, but so is the price difference.

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    HNTD! That's a sharp lil Tele right there, hoss... Lol... And I thought I didn't dig sunburst Teles... So much for that... Lol...

17. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I believe MIM had a 21 fret neck. The neck on the MIM also had a better feel with more attention paid to the fret ends and as I remember more of a rolled edge with a slightly chunkier feel. I only played the Affinity Pack Tele in the shop when they came out so I'm not sure how they all were in general!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  18. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    The New MIM Player series has 22 frets... and I hope a guitar three times as expensive has better fret work ;) (don't have a Player, but the Standard certainly had a better fret job :cool:)

But, since they are no longer produced, the pack Affinity is only available on the second hand market. The 21 fret top load Affinity is now produced in Indonesia, and IMHO is now better than the previous incarnations.

19. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Never mind. ;-)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018