NGD- 94 MIM Duosonic RI

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by rbh32, Jul 1, 2018.

1. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Just got around to putting new strings on this short 22.7 scale awesomeness.
    I got it to play while I figure out just how much I want to Frankenmustang my bullet mustang, and I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on this one...
    Not my pic, it’s from the guy I bought it from, but I’ll try to get some more when I get home. It’s so much cleaner than I thought it would be, was only missing one string, and I fixed that within 5 minutes of getting it. I might change the tuners, but I’m not really in a hurry to do that just yet.

upload_2018-7-1_1-26-32.png

Merv_j, Big tuna, mdparent03 and 11 others like this.
  2. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2015
    France
    Nice and Cool :cool: - It reminds me the (RH) Fender Lead II that I used for a time in the late 70's- early 80's...

A+!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Mine is stock since I bought it new, but the nut just cracked at the low E. The tuners seem sketchy even by bullet standards, but after 20some years , I likely won't change them.

Check out the video by the 60 cycle hum guy on YouTube. He has a few videos featuring his Duo

4. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    That’s cool. I’ve watched his videos, but haven’t seen that one, thanks!

5. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Here's mine that I got several years ago. I traded a couple of pedals for it. It had been abused by a teenager who had an Nirvana fetish. I had to replace the ruined pickguard and electronics. I recently restrung it to Nashville tuning to get some different sounds.

Here's a before and after shot...

[​IMG]

7. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    strange, i don't remember owning OR selling this guitar ;)

but yeah, if he would've thrown a JB in the bridge position of that thing he'd probably still have had it:)

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    When I replaced the pickups I put a SD Quarter Pound in the bridge and that worked well. If you look close you can see it in the after photo. I pulled the QP out when I switched it over to Nashville tuning.

Kenneth Mountain and TheKurdtz like this.
  9. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    That looks like a great save!! I’m liking the original pickups right now... but time will tell I guess..

Kenneth Mountain and RoyalWe like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Unfortunately, the originals on mine were ruined by the previous owner breaking the coils so I had to replace them.

11. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I’m really liking this guitar!!! The neck looks like it’s never been played before me. And this short scale feels identical to my Martin LX-1, except for the neck radius. I called Fender and found out this is a 9.5 radius and the nut is 41.5. And the pickups sound great!!! I’ve never heard any quite like them. I think I can get some real cool grungy stuff going on with these.

So I did make some adjustments when it first arrived. First, I changed the strings, which it was missing the high e, and then I noticed that there was way too much bow in the neck, so I figured out how to get to the truss rod on these “old timey” necks. It has a cutaway in the body to get to it, but not one in the Pickguard, so I might make an access notch to get to it without having to take the pickguard off in the future.
    There was NO tension on the truss rod, so I tightened 1/4 turn and then 1/8 of a turn, and I may have to take that 1/8 off bc it’s buzzing at half step down tuning, which is where I like it.
    So far so good!!! upload_2018-7-5_2-23-13.jpeg

12. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I have a new nut on the way! I can’t wait to get back to playing mine.

I think they are sleepers because when they were brought out in the 90s I don’t think the market was right. A lot of grunge, post hair metal. Nowadays they make more sense.

The original pickups sound great, a bit unique for sure, but a solid performer.

Kenneth Mountain, rbh32 and Pat V. like this.
  13. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    stop giving me gas for a mustang or duosonic!

squierbilly and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Where did you find the specs? I did some substantial searches and found nothing!

15. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I called Fender and asked their rep. Apparently they have a lot of specs for a lot of their guitars on hand. No specs for Squiers though. .

I also found out when I got my new Tusq nut in that I had to file the middle post on the bottom all the way flush for it to fit. I meant to say something about that so1om.

Kenneth Mountain and so1om like this.
  16. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    What strings are you running? I use super slinkys on everything and I had an odd set of power slinky so I tried them on the Duo. Pretty good results!

17. rbh32

rbh32 Squier Talker

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    D’Addario nickel wound 11’s right now. Even 10’s felt loose to me on this one.

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  18. revmike

revmike Squier Talker

Jan 8, 2014
    Raleigh
    Those are cool!

19. squierbilly

squierbilly Squier-holic

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    Curious how many mustangs you own being a Kurt fan.. 3 or 4,, maybe more?..