NGD – Supro Number 2 / Belmont Vibrato in Poppy Red

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pat V., Dec 8, 2018.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Just a quick first impression of the Supro Belmont Vibrato.

The Supro guitars sold by Alto Music come extremely well packed and can easily survive rugged handling by the shippers.

They are basically triple boxed including the hard shell case. The outer box is 51” x 20” x 9” and the grade of cardboard used is heavy duty. I really like the quality of the Supro cases. The guitars fit snugly and feel more substantial than they look.

This particular Belmont weighs in at 7 pounds 10 ounces (7 pounds and 5 ounces with the vibrato cover removed)

As nice as some of the high quality photos that have been posted of the Poppy Red Belmont, the finish is even better in person. The shade of red is simply gorgeous. Although not exactly Fiesta Red, it’s a bit closer to Fiesta than what I was getting from the online photos.

Just like the Black Holiday, the build quality of the Belmont is excellent. Because the Belmont has no neck binding, I expected the neck to come across visually as less refined but the edge of the rosewood fretboard has a gloss finish and it looks very nice and just like the Black Holiday, the playability is stellar.

Upon arrival, there was a bit of fret sprout but after just 15 hours in a humidity controlled environment, the sprout has receded and the fret edges feel very nice now. Humidity control is so important to guitars, even electrics and this was a convincing example.

The stock factory strings are pretty knackered out of the gate and the fret surfaces need a couple of passes of the Dunlop 8000 polishing cloth and the rosewood fretboad also needs a little Lemon Oil when it’s restrung today. This guitar needed a bit of bridge and truss adjustment and after the restring it will need a few days of acclimating before the setup is completely dialed in.

Just like the pair of of Vista-Tone pickups in the Black Holiday, I find the single VistaTone pickup in the Belmont to be magic. The DCR reading for this pickup is 9.18K. I’m quite certain that these pickups are a significant factor in why I like these Americana Series Supros so much. My only complaint at the moment is that I didn't grab a White Holiday when they were on sale.

That’s it for now. Time to go to work. Here are a few pics.

001 Supro Belmont Vibrato.jpg 002 Supro Belmont Vibrato.jpg 003 Supro Belmont Vibrato.jpg 004 Supro Belmont Vibrato.jpg 006 Supro Belmont Vibrato.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Hugh, theflow, radiotech and 10 others like this.
  2. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
  3. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I’ve resisted so far, but if the Sahara and some of the island series start showing up, I may be in trouble!

theflow, squierbilly and Pat V. like this.
  4. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Very nice indeed!
    Time to start a Supro Belmont thread as your adventure unfolds.
    Is the white front of the headstock paint,
    or a plastic veneer?

theflow, so1om and Pat V. like this.
  6. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I had assumed it was a veneer like you find on a lot of guitars these days but I’m not really sure.
    It’s funny, I normally wouldn’t think the white headstock looks right but I accepted it because it’s like the 1963s, but now I love it. I think it looks fantastic.
    Here are some closeups.
    AMG_3643.jpg AMG_3646.jpg AMG_3656.jpg AMG_3661.jpg AMG_3662.jpg

theflow, radiotech, Big tuna and 3 others like this.
  7. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Nut

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    It might look odd or out of place on a different guitar,
    but to my eyes, it totally fits the vibe of this one.
    Let me know about the headstock face material, as I am curious.

theflow and Pat V. like this.
  8. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Yes, now I think it wouldn’t look right without it. It adds both a festive quality to it and it also feeds the nostalgic aspect of it.
    I don't know if there's much else to say about the headstock face without asking the folks at Absara Audio. It looks very similar to the material used on the Black Holiday, except that it's white.

1963 Catalog Belmont 1570.jpg

theflow and Big tuna like this.
  9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Here's a 1963 Supro Belmont. I think Absara Audio nailed it with this Reissue and I'm extremely please to own one. Thanks again to Ralph who nudged me in the direction of this fantastic sale at Alto Music.

emgawkrgedl8unbwzhqr.jpg

o7vyqoxp6gjyysal8oxr.jpg

qul9wbyvpdkxevkpbai1.jpg

reszvpxtt4pyvfsyxcem.jpg

s9vae78jfg7infzpqocq.jpg

theflow, Big tuna and squierbilly like this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Here's an interesting tidbit -- one that surprised me! -- ALL the surfaces on the American series ar "painted." Well, color finished anyhow. Even the 'poly' parts. That is how the mahogany back so perfectly matches the "acousti-glass" front.

Btw, do you realize that with the case these guitar are now selling for almost what they sold for in in the sixties? And the new ones are much better made.

Freaking' amazing!

-don

11. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-Nut

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  12. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Cool guitar! Congrats!!

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-Meister

Nov 24, 2018
    Idaho
    Beautiful guitar.

14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Thanks everyone. It’s a serious little rock and roll machine. A bit of a wolf in sheep’s clothing.
    I also find that it’s a very different sound and guitar playing experience than the Black Holiday.
    I’m glad that it’s not just two different colors of the same thing. The Black Holiday has a lot more of the Dobro-esque sound and provokes me to play with refinement and more thoughtfully and the Belmont provokes more of a “take no prisoners” approach. Both good and both fun.

15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I know. I still find it hard to believe that I bought two very unique Supro semi-hollow body guitars with composite tops, with pickups to die for and unique hardshell cases and shipping included for less than five and a half bills. I’m ridiculously happy.

16. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Le Grande "uh huh!" : )

-don

theflow likes this.
  17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Pat V, you're welcome. I just came across the ad and posted it here.

As for those prices, I'd buy one with the virbrato for $124.50. Notice the use of the word "value" in the old ad so I guess it was the bottom of the pricing chart for the Supro in the day or one made more or less for students.

I'm still old enough to remember when Fender offered all of those "value" guitars such as the Duo-Sonic, Mustang and the single-pickup Musicmaster.

Gosh, now I'm wondering if Fender will introduce the Musicmaster at a realllllllly low price, either as a Fender or a Squier.

theflow likes this.
  18. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    No, in the 1963 catalog, there were three models that were less expensive. The Kingston, the Ozark and the Super.

19. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    Dad gummit. You guys need stop this. I don't nee....neee....neeed any more guitars!

20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

I’m now 90% certain it’s painted white.