NGD – Epiphone Les Paul SL

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Pat V., Nov 24, 2017.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Pat V, I'd appreciate your thoughts on that new bridge.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I will let you know how it works out. I might have it all back together by next week.

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Btw, here's an idea for some pickups for Old Yeller ...

However now that I've listened to I don't like the way they sound, but he did say they were cheap ceramics but to me they sounded very thin and brittle ... but they look great.

Pat V. likes this.
  4. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Cool idea. I have a pair of the Duncan Designed Lipsticks from my buddy's VM CAR Surf Strat but I'm still looking at what else I have on hand.
    After liking the modded Turquoise one so much, I'm now considering some much more expensive pickups that I have on hand that I wouldn't leave in permanently but would be fun to hear and play for a bit.

5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Here's another video I just found. The guy seems pretty impressed but said he hasn't done an in-depth review of it yet.

Btw, he says it is the Turquoise finish but on my monitor it looks more like the blue finish.

6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That a good bridge, I have it on two guitars and it does what it is supposed to do. Stable and tons of travel for intonation.
    Awful video. The guy has a death grip on his D cowboy chord, so it's way out of tune.

7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Here's what I did to the Sunset Yellow SL. These are seriously fun to mod.

Screaming Yellow Zonker 01.jpg Screaming Yellow Zonker 02.jpg Screaming Yellow Zonker 04.jpg Screaming Yellow Zonker 03.jpg

so1om, mb doug, theflow and 3 others like this.
  8. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Looks great! What's the switching layout?

9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Here's how it is setup now. It will more than likely change in the future but I wanted set it up for some comparisons including two different sets of treble bleed R/C values and a bleed defeat to see if having the treble bleed installed influences the sound when the pot is wide open.

Control Layout for SYZ.jpg

so1om, mb doug, grizmit and 2 others like this.
  10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Meister

Wouldn't it be interesting if a $99 Epiphone saved the Gibson company, home of the $5000 LP

Pat V. and surf green like this.
  11. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Nice job, that's plenty of tone options.

Pat V. likes this.
  12. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Is that a blues breaker amp (live the color) and is it as good as advertised?

13. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    It is the Bassbreaker 15, FSR verision with a 12" Greenback. They are fantastic amps!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America

Yep. Too many...lol. It's a lot of fun though.

SYZ Wiring Phase 1 001.jpg

so1om, mb doug, grizmit and 2 others like this.
  15. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    The quality of the bridge is actually pretty darned good considering the low cost.
    The adjustment screws are a little hard to get at if the pickup is super close to the bridge but I had no problem making intonation adjustments.

One thing about the one I received though is that the pass through hole for the A string wasn't completed entirely (or there was probably just a flash of chrome) so I had to use a small drill bit to finish the job. Took all of 30 seconds to do.

wrap around bridge pass-through hole.jpg

theflow and mb doug like this.
  16. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yep they are, I bought my first about 3 years ago and 2 guitars got it up to now. Compared to all the other cheap ones, this one actually works and gives you tons of space for intonation.

61 Epi Special with badass .jpg

theflow, mb doug and Pat V. like this.
  17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Sadly I guess I will be putting my Pacific Blue SL up for sale. I sent it to Epiphone; they looked at it and concluded I had received the correct finish. Wow. I still say it's much closer to green than blue. Epiphone is sending it today I'm told so I should receive it by the end of the week but probably next Monday or so.

I guess I will post it on my local Craigslist. The nut is cut OK and the pickups sound OK but the tuners, as others have noted, should be upgraded. I don't know about that wraparound bridge. It came with an intonation that was sharp on all the strings, especially the low E, but I haven't done anything to it, even changed the terrible stock strings, until I got the final word from Epiphone.

Oh, well. Somebody will buy it because they are as scarce as fleas on my dog.

I don't have a dog.

theflow likes this.
  18. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    It won't be this $99 guitar, but it is likely that the sales of Epiphones are significantly supporting Gibson -more so than Squier floating Fender.

We are discounting Gretsch, and all the other holdings that both FMIC and Gibson have.

19. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I am still not on the SL bug, however I love all your tone mods. One other thing the photos brought to mind are the old Bigsby guitars with the large pickguards and vibratos.. Certainly that would lead to some slick interpretations.

Pat V. and mb doug like this.
  20. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    Since I bought 2 of these and had time on my hands I decided to clean the crappy strings ,what I found is they have like a wax coating on them that once cleaned off allowed me to actually get to a decent sounding set of strings ! Too bad you don't live close I'd swap you my Blue one .
    Well ,sorry you didn't have the good fortune that other people like myself and Pat V had.
    Best regards,
    Flow

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018